Internet Connection in Linux via Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
1.Connect the mobile via USB cable.

2. Open terminal and type su to become root.

3. It will ask for the root password, type in there.

4. Then Issue this command
Code:
wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf
Phone wud b detected as Modem

5. Then to Edit this file, open it in a Text Editor
Code is
Code:
kwrite  /etc/wvdial.conf
When we issued command in point 4, it showed the address of ur phone that in which USB port it has been connected. note it down from there.
"Modem = /dev/***"

6. When Text Editor opens the file, erase everything from there and Paste the following:
Code:
[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0  # <-- Replace it with the reading you got 
Phone = *99#
Username = aa
Password = bbc
Baud = 230400
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Carrier Check = No

The mOdem has been configured successfully.

To dial the internet conenction type
Code:
wvdial
If eerything goes fine it wud say that connected successfully.
Press Ctrl+C to disconnect.

SOURCE-- Chester

Last edited:

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
thanks mods 4 stick this thread..... lets have to try it on linux.....
and is this works on all distros???

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
yes, works for almost all major distros, except in Fedora Core 6 you need to edit the resolv.conf to get the thing to work.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Chester said:
yes, works for almost all major distros, except in Fedora Core 6 you need to edit the resolv.conf to get the thing to work.
Is that a bug? I don't see why it wouldn't work properly unless there's a bug.

OP
Manshahia

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
Chester said:

If its true then Post that too

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
tech_your_future said:

It's not a bug. The default firewall policy makes it that way. All you have to do note down the primary and secondary dns when connecting for the first time and add these to /etc/resolv.conf in the following format.

nameserver ip

eg:

nameserver 192.127.0.1
nameserver 192.127.0.2

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
SELinux has three modes. Enforcing, Permissive and Disabled.

The default policy is Enforcing. In Enforcing mode, the kernel will block all access unless they are explicitly allowed. That's what we're doing by adding the dns server address to resolv.conf

Manshahia said:
^^ these always remains the same??
Nope. They are just examples for how to enter it. It varies for different ISPs. When you're connected using wvdial, you'll get your primary and secondary dns displayed in the output. copy them and add it to resolv.conf.

mehulved

desertwind said:
SELinux has three modes. Enforcing, Permissive and Disabled.

The default policy is Enforcing. In Enforcing mode, the kernel will block all access unless they are explicitly allowed. That's what we're doing by adding the dns server address to resolv.conf
So, is it SELinux that's blocking it or the firewall? And is SELinux really needed for home users?

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
^^ It's not very well needed unless they are connected to outside world by any mean.

A Linux kernel integrating SELinux enforces mandatory access control policies that confine user programs and system servers to the minimum amount of privilege they require to do their jobs. This reduces or eliminates the ability of these programs and daemons to cause harm when compromised (via buffer overflows or misconfigurations, for example).

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
can we apply this theory for Live CD's also???? i have some live CD's.... i want to use net on those.... please guys i am new to linux....

mehulved

Yeah should work with live cd's too, since wvdial is present.
Pathiks just connect your phone with BT and follow this tut. It should find the modem at /dev/rfcomm0 most prolly.

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
tech_your_future said:

even after disabling SELinux and Firewall, fedora won't find the DNS Servers and you have to add them manually to /etc/resolv.conf

for airtel, all you have to do is add
Code:
nameserver 202.56.230.5
nameserver 202.56.230.6

to /etc/resolv.conf

and Manshahia bro, edit the first post, the second step make it "su" instead of "SU" :)

Last edited:

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
@ tech_your_future:

I'm facing problems pairing my phone with my Pc in Ubuntu 6.10
I've followed all the steps properly and have cross checked them innumerable times.
The primary problem you see is that the rfcomm0 device is not getting created in /dev/...

I tried all the steps as a root. I've referred to many online guides as to how-to go about doing it, but to not avail.
The problem is that My phone gets identified in the device scan, It also pairs with the computer, but the rfcomm0 modem devices isn't created. I don't know how to make Ubuntu do it.

Please point me to any one who has succesfully initiated airtel gprs connection in ubuntu using his Phone as a modem connected via bluetooth.

cheers.

mehulved

kaustav_geek said:
@ tech_your_future:

I'm facing problems pairing my phone with my Pc in Ubuntu 6.10
I've followed all the steps properly and have cross checked them innumerable times.
The primary problem you see is that the rfcomm0 device is not getting created in /dev/...

I tried all the steps as a root. I've referred to many online guides as to how-to go about doing it, but to not avail.
The problem is that My phone gets identified in the device scan, It also pairs with the computer, but the rfcomm0 modem devices isn't created. I don't know how to make Ubuntu do it.

Please point me to any one who has succesfully initiated airtel gprs connection in ubuntu using his Phone as a modem connected via bluetooth.

cheers.
Just check one of the threads on Suse, it's on the first page itself. I had given how to make frcomm dev, to Pathiks.

DDIF

Custom User Title
I'm using Open Suse 10.2 I can't save wvdian.conf after editing it. It says you do not have enough privileages to do so. Help Me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom