Internet Connection in Linux via Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDIF

Custom User Title
Even this didn't work. Here's snapshot of the error which i get.
Tell me what should i do?

freebird

Debian Rocks!
You r files are trying to save in yo home dir!
first open nautilus or konqueror and browse and check u have all the dirs!
open a terminal and i belive u r in gnome,
Code:
~$su  -
(give root password)
~#
now the terminal prompt will be a "#"
then run:
Code:
~#nano   -w /etc/wvdial.conf
add ur values and after finishing press CTRL+X to exit and nano will prompt u to save the file.press yes.
your attach shows that ur saving /home/xxx;while u need to save in the directory /etc

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
It's supposed to be /etc/wvdial.conf and not etc/wvdial.conf. The former is relative path. You need to supply the full path name cos you are currently in your home directory.

Pathik

Google Bot
i suppose u hav already tried this... if u havent then do it..
type "su" at the konsole.. enter root passwd..
then
"kwrite /etc/wvdial.conf" not etc/wvdial.conf

DDIF

Custom User Title
I got it working friends. Just logined with user name 'root' and everything was simple.Now i'm posting from firefox using Open SuSE! Thanks to you all!

mehulved

Log out of root just now.
Use su in the terminal rather. Then configure sudo to give access to wvdial and use sudo then.

OP
Manshahia

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
Now i hav started using Ubuntu Ver: 6.6 LTS.
Now the problem is i cant save wvdial.config file.

At the starting it asks for the username and password.
When provided correct, it logins.
Now when i open terminal and type su it says
Code:
su
password:
su: Authentication Failure
Sorry.

Wat sud b the problem??
The password i m providing is correct.

OP
Manshahia

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
Naaaa.....
when i typed sudo
Code:
:sudo
usage: sudo -K | - L .....
usage: [ -HPSB] ......

Last edited:

freebird

Debian Rocks!
the wvdialconf command will probe for any modem devices available and make them.try the cmd..
Code:
~$sudo wvdialconf  /etc/wvdial.conf
OR u want 2 know what is sudo-sudo gives a secure(arguably) way of exexcuting root user owned commands by asking the passwd of local user-that means U.
sudo (superuser [or substitute user] do), generally pronounced IPA: [sudʊ], is a program for Unix-like operating systems such as BSD, Mac OS X, and Linux that allows users to run programs with the security privileges of another user (normally the system's superuser) in a secure manner. By default, it is installed in /usr/bin/
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudo

Pathik

Google Bot
u can do one thing.. Type man sudo and follow the instructions to enable the root account su in dapper

freebird

Debian Rocks!
^^ why?for ubuntu sudo does the job well.but u can set su root easily by
Code:
~$sudo passwd root
and for root's Desktop,u need to enable local admin to login in "gdmsetup".
why all these..
:???::???::???:

Pathik

Google Bot
yup i know that but its given in better detail in the man pages of sudo.. And not many ppl like to use sudo many times like me.. I prefer to login as root only

freebird

Debian Rocks!
^^ root login habbit is bad!infact if ur in a network or even a standalone OS,it risks the removal of some system files,u know the effects of famous `rm -rf
try using as local user.its just a sincere suggestion :)

mehulved

pathiks said:
yup i know that but its given in better detail in the man pages of sudo.. And not many ppl like to use sudo many times like me.. I prefer to login as root only
Why make your system insecure for no reason? Security is as strong as it's weakest link. And almost all of the times it's the user. So, by using your account as root, you are opening your system to lot more mishappenings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom