Intel Sandy Bridge E and LGA2011 Discussion

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
HARDOCP - What's Inside - Intel Core i7-3960X - Sandy Bridge E Processor Review

Enjoy.

EDIT:

MOAR!!

AnandTech - Intel Core i7 3960X (Sandy Bridge E) Review: Keeping the High End Alive

Intel Core i7-3960X Sandy Bridge-E Processor Review - Intel Sandy Bridge-E LGA 2011 CPUs Arrive - Legit Reviews

Intel’s new high-end Sandy Bridge-E 3960X review | ExtremeTech

Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E CPU Review - HotHardware

EDIT2:

Yet another link:

*www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4414/intel_core_i7_3960x_extreme_edition_lga_2011_cpu_review/index2.html

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I am only human.

If i was to do everything who would do the rest?

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme review

Core i7 3960X processor & MSI X79A-GD65 review

Cheers.

vaibhav23

In the zone
Well not a good VFM product.It gives little performance increase in most of all the tasks when compared to i7 2600k but costs almost 3x of a 2600k

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Single threaded performance isn't much better than SB. ;)

It won't be because they share almost the same core and execution units with minor tweaks.:wink:

Well not a good VFM product.It gives little performance increase in most of all the tasks when compared to i7 2600k but costs almost 3x of a 2600k

This platform isn't for value at all. Its not meant for budget buyers. See the multithreaded benchmarks. Its 50% ahead than 2600k and 19% ahead than 990x.

This one is a a bit ahead of time. Apps need to be more threaded in order to take full advantage of all six cores.

2600k or 2700k will suffice even more enthusiasts now. Sandybridge-E is meant for heavy workstation load and definitely not more general purpose use. In video encoding tasks, its much ahead of 2600k. Only if intel would have added the quicksync support.

Check this to have a glimpse of the amazing multithreaded performance of sandy-E.

Last edited:

MyGeekTips

script-kiddie geek
It's only for who is in multi-threaded apps. For us Ivy Bridge is coming just it need to be 10-20% faster to humiliate Sandy Bridge-E. I've one question why doesn't Intel added quicksync support ?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I think the $550 i7 3930K will find some enthusiast buyers in the six core segment. Its performance shouldn't be much behind off 3960X.

It's only for who is in multi-threaded apps. For us Ivy Bridge is coming just it need to be 10-20% faster to humiliate Sandy Bridge-E. I've one question why doesn't Intel added quicksync support ?

Buddy this platform won't be humiliated anytime sooner. Its just not for common people like most of us. There's also going to be Ivybridge-e i.e sandybridge-E + 22nm die shrink+ 3d trigate transistors just like 1155 ivybridge.

Intel is simply outdoing itself. Amd should come up very strong with its piledriver or else intel will completely monopolize.

MyGeekTips

script-kiddie geek
Hey vicky when will be Ivy Bridge releasing ? I'm thinking of post-pone my Sandy Bridge to get my hands dirty on Ivy Bridge. Do you think it will be like the Same that happen to 990X after Sandy Bridge release? Is Intel Aiming the Same ?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ No no mate you are getting it wrong. 990x and 2600k belonged to different architectures. The former was nehalem and later was sandybridge. 3960X is sandybridge and ivybridge is just a die-shrink from 32nm to 22nm as well as use a newly designed patented transistor called 3d trigate by intel.

Ivybridge will have its own chipset called panther point but all current cougar point chipsets support the upcoming ivybridge. So you can always upgrade in future.:)

MyGeekTips

script-kiddie geek
I wish this platform should be a super duper flop so Intel can learn not to steal people by selling overpriced stuff. :x :-x

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Toms have summed up nicely:-

However, compared to the Core i7-3960X, which is 212% more expensive, and only able to offer an average 17% performance improvement, the -2600K looks like a real winner. Don’t forget that you need a more expensive motherboard, more expensive memory kit, and an air or water cooler on top of the -3960X’s cost, as well.

Impressively, Core i7-3960X delivers a 28% average performance improvement over the i5-2500K—but at a 358% higher price (not including the pricier platform to go with it).

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think if you are running particularly CPU intensive or heavily threaded apps, or if you want to show off, then this is OK, for normal desktop users and gamers, hard to justify.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
for gamers this is a big waste of money. but if you want to build a budget workstation at home then this is a good option

Top Bottom