Intel Sandy Bridge discussion

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
what is meant by - VT-X, VT-D, TXT, AES-NI?

AES-NI (Advanced encryption standard new instruction) -

"Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) Instruction Set is an extension to the x86 instruction set architecture for microprocessors from Intel and AMD proposed by Intel in March 2008[1]. The purpose of the instruction set is to improve the speed of applications performing encryption and decryption using the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), similar to the PadLock engine found in current processors from VIA Technologies".

VT-X -

"In computing, x86 virtualization is the facility that allows multiple operating systems to simultaneously share x86 processor resources in a safe and efficient manner, a facility generically known as hardware virtualization.
Previously codenamed "Vanderpool", VT-x represents Intel's technology for virtualization on the x86 platform. Intel includes Extended Page Tables (EPT),[20] a technology for page-table virtualization,[21] in the Nehalem architecture".

VT-D-

"Intel's Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O"

OP
V

Vishw

Journeyman
I wish someone reviews i7 2600S also. I'm not gonna OC, so I'm interested to see how it performs. Hope someone reviews it soon.

srch07

Journeyman
I was wondering, if this review is real.. :|

iXBT Labs - Intel Core i5/i7 LGA1155 Processors - Page 3: Tests cont'd, conclusions

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
^^Intel?s Sandy Bridge: Upheaval in the Mobile Landscape - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

guys quick sync rocks in video transcoding. even ATI stream does better then CUDA in Arcsoft’s Media Converter 7 test by anandtech.
sources -
The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

see the quality of images carefully.

Last edited:

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
even ATI stream does better then CUDA in Arcsoft’s Media Converter 7 test by anandtech.
CUDA is overhyped. :mrgreen: It may be slightly faster but at a much worse quality. It is not open and proprietary. Companies will be using OpenCL more as it is 'free' in the real sense.

see the quality of images carefully.
nVidia GTX 460 - *images.anandtech.com/reviews/cpu/intel/sandybridge/review/quicksync/quantumofsolace/gtx460.png

AMD HD 6870 - *images.anandtech.com/reviews/cpu/intel/sandybridge/review/quicksync/quantumofsolace/6870.png

a hell lot of difference.

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
imo video transcoded using quicksync has a bit better image quality than ati stream. Image quality produced by gtx 460 is worse than the rest.

radeon 6870 - Image

SB QuickSync - Image

Gtx 460 - Image

Notice carefully the woman in red hat in the above images. Quicksync is slightly better than 6870 in quality while 460 fall behind to both.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
yup, Quick Sync is the best. Only slightly than ATi Stream. But you can't use it if you are using a discrete GPU. For notebooks, it has to be great.

srch07

Journeyman
Am waiting for 09/01/2010... geezzzzzz

Compare Intel Processors

Btw, what are these on the Processor comparision list link above, and why don't K-Series have those.
Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)
Intel® Trusted Execution Technology

You may need to set your location to united states to see 2nd generation on the list.

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
ASRock P67 Transformer: P67 Gets LGA 1156 Compatibility : Bringing LGA 1156 Up To Speed

enjoy lynfielders.

and jasji z68 is for socket 2011 so no processor graphics there.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
yup, Quick Sync is the best. Only slightly than ATi Stream. But you can't use it if you are using a discrete GPU. For notebooks, it has to be great.

So we have to get a H67 chipset based mobo for that but H67 don't has any OCing option for cpu.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
yup quick sync is best. but the prob is its currently only supported by Cyberlink’s Media Espresso 6 and Arcsoft’s Media Converter 7 though intel is working with other developers of such softwares to add quick sync support.

@aby geek
buddy go through this carefully. The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
you will come to know that z68 is p67 with support for onboard gfx and SSD Caching. its gonna released in Q2 while LGA-2011 is coming in Q4 2011.

topgear some people might not be interested with ocing and all. so no prob for them. but can somebody confirm whether H67 supports turbo?

Last edited:
Top Bottom