Install Fedora Core 5/Suse 10 without burning CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

avinashtatti@gmail.com

Right off the assembly line
well i was thinkin if i could download the latest kernel and replace those in the installer <redhat cd1> and then try installing , will it work , how do i go about it ? any help

by the way thanks for the reply

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
avinashtatti@gmail.com said:
well i was thinkin if i could download the latest kernel and replace those in the installer <redhat cd1> and then try installing , will it work , how do i go about it ? any help

by the way thanks for the reply

You can upgrade the kernel after installing linux, but before installation... I'm not sure. You have to ask some linux expert. :)

------

I think you have to download the source files and then replace the kernel. Tough job.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
will this method also work in my case ?? u said it will work in dual boot. what about me ?? I already have Ubuntu 6.10 , PCLinuxOS -BigDaddy and Windows XP SP2 installed. Please reply urgently as I have just copied the 5 CD iso images of Fedora Core 6 in my system and I m dying to try it but really dont wanna waste CDs.

drsethi

Journeyman
I couldnot install by this method SUSE 10.1 Remastered
There is no isolinux folder.
There is no vmlinuz file.
initrd file found in SUSE-Linux-10.1-Remastered-i386-CD1/boot/i386/loader folder
BTW I have already installed SUSE 10.1 Remastered on my computer.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@blackpearl,I deleted my PCLinuxOS to create space for FC6. This made my GRUB gone ie Ubuntu Gone. Then I tried ur method successfully installed FC6 , but when I rebooted , it just didnt started .Black screeen appeared with some flashing coloured letters like @ ! , etc. I think My system doesnt support such high gfx , so i just formatted FC6 . PCLinux OS was already gone. I just reinstalled ubuntu 6.10. that means ur method just ****ed my system and wasted my 3 precious hrs. Though there is no fault of urs in it. I will try ur method in future but only for those distros which are compatible with my hardware .

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Well, Anaconda starts up fine and asks me where the it should search. I point it to the right drive and the installation aborts by saying 'installation stopped unexpectedly [1/1]' and then prepares the system for reboot. My ISO is on a FAT32 partition and the SHA1SUM is fine. What could be wrong??:!:

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
"'installation stopped unexpectedly "

I wonder what the reason is? Probably corrupted file, hardware problem etc.

phreak0ut

The ISO is fine. If it was corrupt, it wouldn't have passed the SHA1SUM test. I doubt hardware problem. I've got Ubuntu and Slackware running and I've installed FC5 in the past from CDs.

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
Does the installation process start before terminating? or does it terminate as soon as you point to the drive?
Is your hard disk detected at all?

phreak0ut

The installation process terminates only after I point the location where it should supposed to start. I found that images from torrents are reliable. Check it out the review here *itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3680246

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom