Install Fedora Core 5/Suse 10 without burning CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy_sumi

Broken In
Nice one there.........
Someone else in this section told how to burn a single DVD of the images.....
but this is way better!!!!

your reputation just increased!!

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
mihirvashist said:
hey will it work on a NTFS partition......
besides thnx...
but i won't be able to use it if it can't work in NTFS

I think it will work with NTFS because the setup was able to detect my NTFS partitions. Not sure though. The best way will be to try it out.

mAYHEM

Journeyman
Mandriva can also be installed from hard disk.Shouldn't the menu.lst file be placed in C:\ [(hda0,0)/menu.lst] ,when using latest versions of GRUB4DOS

Last edited:

DukeNukem

Come get Some
mihirvashist said:
hey will it work on a NTFS partition......
besides thnx...
but i won't be able to use it if it can't work in NTFS

what r u talking about here installin on ntfs partition or using NTFS partition as source partition
if using NTFS partition as source then answer is "yes it will work"

i've done it througn "GRUB for WINDOWS"

Else

Answer in is NOOOOOOOOOO

DukeNukem

Come get Some
its not "boot.i" brother its "boot.ini"
and it is present in the Primary Partition i.e the Boot drive which is usually and always your "C" drive

to see it enable "show hidden files" from folder option or
simlpy
right click on my computer choose "Properties"
then Choose "Advanced" tab (Dont play with it thats why it is called Advanced)

click "Setting" button of "Start up and recovery"

now here you have a "Edit" button which open the "Boot.ini" file for you

Once again dont play with it untill u have proper resource to restore it (in case of #$%^ up :p )

AND ONE QUESTION FOR blackperl

I CANT INSTALL FROM ISO's USING THIS METHOD
WHAT CAN BE THE PROBS (and its solu)

TRIED BOTH ON FAT/NTFS PARTITIONS(as Source) AS DIRECTED BUT TO END UP LOOSING FEW HAIRS EVERY TIME.

Though able to install after extracting all iso's in one directory and givng its path at the time of installation both on fat/ntfs drives (as Source)

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
@DukeNukem: At what point does the installation terminate? Does it show any message? Also are you trying to install FC5 or Suse? For FC5 installation should be a breeze, but for Suse you might have to tweak a few settings. Look at my following reply earlier

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=328033&postcount=11

DukeNukem

Come get Some
forgive me oh mighty lord (blackpearl) :p
but i have done everything as per your holy Directions :p which fails
i am tryin to install SUSE 10.1
installed grub through "Grub for windows"
copied the iso's to root "C" (hd0,0)
enter only iso name (not found is what i get) when asked
when no use
entered as (hd0,0)/iso.iso (not found is what i get)

then oh mighty lord(blackpearl) an idea hit me
i extracted all iso's in a single folder then
when prompted for source
entered folder name and Holy cow Installation begin with your grace after all it was you oh mighty lord, using whose idea i am able to use the beauty of SUSE

once again Thanks oh Mighty Lord(blackpearl)

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
VERY VERY NICE POST!!!!! I think its high time I start out doing this. Enough of burning discs. Whew!!!!

DukeNukem

Come get Some
:p Hey! Thanks Oh Mighty Lord(blackpearl).

One question ( you must be thinking what a jackass i am :p)

first ive created cd's of the iso's from DvD (i dont have a DvD Drive, done it from friends PC)
then ive created the iso's from cd's at my PC
named them 1,2,3,4,5

then given the 1.iso as the file name in the installation source is this method ok or iam really/literally bothering you from the very beginning. if i am then please forgive me and dont curse on me oh Mighty Lord (blackpearl) :p

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
The Mighty Lord (me) is very confused whether you have sucessfuly installed Suse/FC5, whatever, or not?? Your earlier post said that you were able to "use the beauty of Suse" and now you ask whether the method will work??

Anyway, given the benevolent nature of the Mighty Lord (me) I have decided to pardon you of the pain you have caused me.

Converting the DVD into CDs is a hell lot of work, and I m unsure whether it works or not. But given that the tutorial is now made sticky, I have little doubt of its working provided that you have followed the procedure without any mistake.

If you copied the ISOs to the root of the drive and when you were asked for the file name, you must type only the filename. NOT (hda0,0)/file1.iso. That would make the setup program to search for a folder named "(hda0,0)" on the root of the drive. If you copied it in a folder then type folder/file1.iso.

I hope by the grace of GOD and The Mighty Lord (me) you are successful this time. :)

DukeNukem

Come get Some
blackpearl said:
The Mighty Lord (me) is very confused whether you have sucessfuly installed Suse/FC5, whatever, or not?? Your earlier post said that you were able to "use the beauty of Suse" and now you ask whether the method will work??

oh my mighty lord(blackpearl) i've successfully installed and using the beauty of suse 10.1 by extracting the iso's to singel directory "su" (all 5 iso's to it) and by the CD's themself. this is after failing to do as what u've directed through iso files directly.

blackpearl said:
Anyway, given the benevolent nature of the Mighty Lord (me) I have decided to pardon you of the pain you have caused me.

Thanks for forgiveness

blackpearl said:
Converting the DVD into CDs is a hell lot of work, and I m unsure whether it works or not. But given that the tutorial is now made sticky, I have little doubt of its working provided that you have followed the procedure without any mistake.

its not a SUSE DvD, its a DvD which have the 5 CD iso of Suse 10.1.
so no questio about errors creating iso's from DvD
i first burned then at my friends pc and then truned them to iso's at my ps

blackpearl said:
If you copied the ISOs to the root of the drive and when you were asked for the file name, you must type only the filename. NOT (hda0,0)/file1.iso. That would make the setup program to search for a folder named "(hda0,0)" on the root of the drive. If you copied it in a folder then type folder/file1.iso.

copied to root (hd0,0) then tried (hd0,0)/1.iso and 1.iso as source, but to end in vain.

copied to (hd0,0)/iso/ then tried (hd0,0)/iso/1.iso and /iso/1.iso and iso/1.iso as source, but to end in vain.

blackpearl said:
I hope by the grace of GOD and The Mighty Lord (me) you are successful this time. :)

Iam successfull, but i think its is the first time ever that mighty lord's(blackpearl) words are not working :p

any ways

Thanks Oh mighty Lord(blackpearl) for atleast listening to me and for your helpfull, kind, generous, greedless, hateless, equi for all nature

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
DukeNukem said:
copied to root (hd0,0) then tried (hd0,0)/1.iso and 1.iso as source, but to end in vain.

copied to (hd0,0)/iso/ then tried (hd0,0)/iso/1.iso and /iso/1.iso and iso/1.iso as source, but to end in vain.

Seems like the name has got to do with it. The default names of the ISOs are:

SUSE_LINUX_10_1_I386_CD1.iso
..................................CD2.iso
...etc

Try renaming the isos to these default names and see if that works.

kpicindia

Right off the assembly line
Thanks blackpearl!!

I have just installed SUSE-10.1 in my pc without any cd. folowing your instructions.

Well I had to create the C:/boot folder.

On starting GRUB install from my winxp boot menu and selecting SUSE install the installation statrted as usual. well you have to select "back" in the first screen. select the hard disk partition where you have kept the iso-s. the folder should be specified as /SUSE/CD1.iso (assuming the folder name SUSE and the first Suse install disk as CD1). ALL other cd iso should be uniform in naming and in the same folder.

while partitioning the partition which holds the iso-s should be edited in partition screen and "dont mount partition on startup" option should be checked.

choose the necessary softwares.

and the installation statrts.

after initial reboot---

dont forget to start the installation process again.select "boot from hard disk installed" or some such option which re-starts the remaining installations etc.

I hope there should be no confusion.

thanks blankpearl again for his hard works and being the path-bearer.

PLEASE TELL ME HOW I CAN INSTALL DEBIAN-3.1 N THIS WAY.

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
It will probably (read as should) work for both Knoppix and Debian. The necessary files are named vmlinuz and initrd.img in both the distros.

avinashtatti@gmail.com

Right off the assembly line
nice work black pearl

but can uou tell me how to make red hat 9 detect sata hardrives
i have only redhat 9 and my mob is d101g...

the installer starts and stops with error " no devices were found ......"

i tried changing the sata combination to Ide controller and vice versa

but nothing happened

pls help me out,

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
Red hat 9 does not detect SATA so there is no way you can install it. Choose a linux distro that is based on kernel 2.6 or later because those detects SATA drive. Red hat 9 is very old, get a different one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom