Install Fedora Core 5/Suse 10 without burning CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackpearl

The Devil
Burning 4-5 CDs to install any modern distro like Fedora Core 5 or Suse 10 is a big pain in the neck. This tutorial will teach you how to install FC5 or Suse or any other distro without burning a single CD!!! This method, however, will only work if you already have Windows installed on your system and want to dual boot with Linux.

1. The first thing you will have to do is copy all the ISO files to your hard disk. Make sure that you copy all the files to the root of the partition and the partition must be formatted in FAT32. If you do not copy the ISO to the root of the partition (i.e. keep inside a folder) the setup will not able to detect the files.

2. Now use winrar to open the first ISO file (disc1). Go inside the folder "isolinux" and copy the files initrd.img and vmlinuz to your c:\boot. You will need to enable viewing of hidden and system files in order to locate c:\boot.

3. Now download the file called grub4dos from here. Extract the folder "boot" and the file "grldr" from the downloaded zip file. Inside the folder "boot" is another folder called "grub"; copy this folder to c:\boot. Copy the file "grldr" to c:\

4. Then open c:\boot\grub\menu.lst and add these following lines.

Code:
title Fedora Core 5 Install
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd.img

5. Now you have to add grub to your c:\boot.ini file. Open boot.ini and add this line in the end:

Code:
C:\grldr=”Start GRUB”

6. You are now ready to install FC5. Restart your PC and from the boot screen select "Start GRUB". This will load GRUB.

7. From the grub screen select "Fedora Core 5 Install". The setup will now start and you can now select the hard drive partition where you copied the ISO files.

Now sit back and let it install. No more burning and wasting discs and even no more changing CDs during install. After the installation is over you can delete the folder c:\boot\grub as well as c:\grldr and also the reference to this file from your boot.ini file, as these are no longer needed.

I just installed FC5 by this method so I can guarantee you that it will work. Enjoy!!!

UPDATE:

For Suse its a bit different. Instead of initrd.img and vmlinuz, you have to copy initrd and linux. So the changes to c:\boot\grub\menu.lst will be this

Code:
title Suse Install
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/linux
initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd

Also you have to type the full name of the first ISO when it asks for the path. So write it down before you begin installation.

Last edited:

mediator

Technomancer
Nice work blackpearl! But it wud have been better if u had structurised it in steps in a well defined manner!

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
something similar to this *fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107298

and if this fails u can convert dvd into cd's and install with this method

Last edited:
OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
DukeNukem said:
though its a nice tut.

I cant install suse usin this method.

Read the 2nd part of the tutorial, the "update" part.
If you are not able to install then tell me what problem you have faced.

DukeNukem

Come get Some
blackpearl said:
Read the 2nd part of the tutorial, the "update" part.
If you are not able to install then tell me what problem you have faced.

thats what i did initially but failed to install SUSE

cant move after choosing HDD as Installation MEDIUM with ISO NAME DEFINED

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
Maybe you chose the wrong partition or gave the wrong path. The partitions appear as sda1, sda2, etc. Do not rename the filenames of the ISO. If you have copied it inside a folder you should also specify the folder name like

/folder/disc1.iso

If you copied it to the root of the partition, then just type the file name. I m sure you have mixed up the partition or the filename. It should work.

You might face another problem during the installation so might clear that as well. During installation go into manual partitioning mode. The setup will automatically assign various partitions so don't worry. Just highlight the partition where you have copied the iso files and click "Edit". Now click on the tab "fstab option" and check the box that read "do not mount at startup" or something similar. If you don't do that the installation might fail to proceed.

DukeNukem

Come get Some
blackpearl said:
Maybe you chose the wrong partition or gave the wrong path. The partitions appear as sda1, sda2, etc. Do not rename the filenames of the ISO. If you have copied it inside a folder you should also specify the folder name like

/folder/disc1.iso

If you copied it to the root of the partition, then just type the file name. I m sure you have mixed up the partition or the filename. It should work.

You might face another problem during the installation so might clear that as well. During installation go into manual partitioning mode. The setup will automatically assign various partitions so don't worry. Just highlight the partition where you have copied the iso files and click "Edit". Now click on the tab "fstab option" and check the box that read "do not mount at startup" or something similar. If you don't do that the installation might fail to proceed.

initially i've done same as directed by you but it hasnt helped
then
i extracted all the iso's in a folder and given its path as installation medium path BINGO installation is on its way.

Thanks for prompt replies.

Nimtshey

Broken In
I have FC5 in DVD, now i want to burn this DVD into CD as i don't have DVD ROM in my PC, i have CDRW with ahead nero, ur valuable suggestion and help is highly respected and valued.

Thanks from BHUTAN

raquez

Right off the assembly line
I cant view the folder c:\boot even after disabling "Hide protected system files (Recommended)"
I am using WinXP SP2

DukeNukem

Come get Some
raquez said:
I cant view the folder c:\boot even after disabling "Hide protected system files (Recommended)"
I am using WinXP SP2

Because there is no "Boot " (i cant find it too, don know where blackpearl :p had it) folder there. MAKE one yourself

OP
blackpearl

blackpearl

The Devil
OK. If you don't have the "boot" folder then you can create it. OR just copy the folder "grub" to c:\ and then add these following lines to c:\grub\menu.lst

Code:
title Fedora Core 5 Install
kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz
initrd (hd0,0)/initrd.img

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom