India Gets Its First 1 Gbps Internet Connection

sygeek

Technomancer
Link to the article
Saturday, December 01, 2012: Internet search giant Google, recently, launched its 1 Gbps (1000 mbps) at Startup Village, Kansas City, a leading tech incubator in US, as part of the Google Fiber Network. Now, it is India's turn to get this speed. Kerala-based Startup Village, the India’s first telecom incubator, now has a newly-laid 1 Gbps (gigabits per second) connectivity. You can download a two-hour high definition movie in 30 seconds or view a video in YouTube at this lightning speed!

Startup Village of Kochi has beocme the second place in the world, after Kansas City of United States, to experience this ultra-fast connectivity, that is all set to revolutionise the internet experience of the netizens in the coming days. By switching on the trend-setting connectivity within a few days, Startup Village has taken a major leap forward to emerge as the largest telecom incubator in the world.

The facility was formally introduced on 17 November 2012 by the state Chief Minister Shri Oommen Chandy, giving a shot in the arm to Startup Village for its mission to churn out world-class startups from Indian campuses.

"Startup Village aims to build the elements of a world class tech ecosystem to realize the dream of a Silicon Coast in India. The vision at this grandiose scale is driven by one of India's most successful IT entrepreneurs, Kris Gopalakrishnan, co-founder of Infosys and powered by Dept of Science and Technology, Govt of India. The Startup Village at Kochi is the first location of this national pilot, which would be replicated to other parts of India in the coming months," said Sanjay Vijayakumar, chairman, Startup Village in a statement.

gameranand

Living to Play
just give us constant 2MBPS for low prices...IDGAF about 1GBPS...

I second that. Here at my place there is no landline at all and so I have to use crappy BSNL EVDO and they are launching 1Gbps connections, at least first connect every area then think about world records.:censored: :evil::evil:

pratyush997

Inactive
I second that. Here at my place there is no landline at all and so I have to use crappy BSNL EVDO and they are launching 1Gbps connections, at least first connect every area then think about world records.:censored: . :evil::evil:
+ Here They ain't fixing the Line issue! Paid them for three months for nothing!(1k/m)
Disconnected it and now on GPRS :(

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Just a publicity stunt to get in the news, like how that 10 storey builder tried.

bubusam13

Human
I second that. Here at my place there is no landline at all and so I have to use crappy BSNL EVDO and they are launching 1Gbps connections, at least first connect every area then think about world records. :censored:. :evil::evil:

WOW !! Got som1 like me BSNL EVDO. How much speed you get? I temporarily disconnected it for 6 months but now again switched to it. Though its speed is pathetic, 40kb/s average in IDM, its unlimited. I tried aircel, airtel, tata photon, reliance 3G. Though their speed is good, they have much more issues than BSNL EVDO. Reliance even shows I have finished my 5GB download quota within a week. How can it be possible when my Hard Disk have only about 400 mb free space.

Anyway, coming to topic, I am using EVDO from 2007 and BSNL promised a speed of 2.4mbps, but my average speed is about 300 kbps.
In a line, "In India, we get broadband connection at GPRS speed". So if you manage to get 1MB/s download speed with this 1gbps connection, think yourself among the luckiest one.

gameranand

Living to Play
WOW !! Got som1 like me BSNL EVDO. How much speed you get? I temporarily disconnected it for 6 months but now again switched to it. Though its speed is pathetic, 40kb/s average in IDM, its unlimited. I tried aircel, airtel, tata photon, reliance 3G. Though their speed is good, they have much more issues than BSNL EVDO. Reliance even shows I have finished my 5GB download quota within a week. How can it be possible when my Hard Disk have only about 400 mb free space.

Anyway, coming to topic, I am using EVDO from 2007 and BSNL promised a speed of 2.4mbps, but my average speed is about 300 kbps.
In a line, "In India, we get broadband connection at GPRS speed". So if you manage to get 1MB/s download speed with this 1gbps connection, think yourself among the luckiest one.
Around 25-30KBps average. I can't download more than 1.5-2GB even if my PC is on 24*7. Actually I only get 3 lines of signal, if I would get 5 line signal then things would have been different but no. I contacted BSNL and requested them for a landline but no favorable reply. I asked them to boost the signal for my area so that I can get good speed on EVDO but again no favorable outcome. This shows how pathetic is the condition of Internet in India and they are talking about 1Gbps, for USA its OK as they enjoy much better speeds but here, let them first connect the whole India then talk about this speed.

still 128 MBPS is mindblowing. :p

You won't get that speed. Hardware limitations. :|

ajaymailed

In the zone
Isn't 1 GBPS an overkill for home consumers (other than business/professionals), from my experience 10 MBPS is enough to stream two 1080p videos simultaneously non stop, downloading files> 1 GB in matter of minutes. Even large media like Blue Ray Discs can be gobbled by todays hispeed connections.
1 GBPS (128 Megabytes per sec) will be faster than a USB 2.0. in less than 2.5 hours, it should fill an entire terabyte hard drive.

But it would be good for cloud computing, storing & Running all the huge media files, software, applications from Servers.

well i just have 512kbps net and yes sumonpathak the should give us 2mbps unlimited at ~500 bucks a month !!!
i am not sure if i am right but India will always higher ISP prices because we have to pay for usage of large submarine cable network going from mumbai, kochi to london, neywork via suez canal. It will take 15000 to 16000km long submarine cables to connect India to US Servers. for US ISPs, its much cheaper since severs are very close to them.

Last edited:

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
Sheer stupidity. First : giving / installing fibre optic and now this. You cant even max out copper cable bandwidth with reasonable prices whats the point of giving fibre optic with 1/100th of its capacity? [idiots] ..

btw whats the FUP? 1TB? :p

oh and btw, CAT-6 goes to only 12.5MB/s so even with 1Gbps unless you have a Gigabit ethernet port is useless, even then you need a SSD.

ajaymailed

In the zone
Sheer stupidity. First : giving / installing fibre optic and now this. You cant even max out copper cable bandwidth with reasonable prices whats the point of giving fibre optic with 1/100th of its capacity? [idiots] ..
btw whats the FUP? 1TB? :p
oh and btw, CAT-6 goes to only 12.5MB/s so even with 1Gbps unless you have a Gigabit ethernet port is useless, even then you need a SSD.
won't HDDs be enough for 1 GBPS?

sharang_3

Journeyman
Reliance even shows I have finished my 5GB download quota within a week. How can it be possible when my Hard Disk have only about 400 mb free space.
not necessarily if you watch a lot of hd videos on the net then u do not require hard disk space as the videos buffer and temp space that they occupy gets cleared after you close the window. just saying..cz companies don't usually cheat on the usage..might not be true..

Top Bottom