IE->Internet Options->Default Homepage (to be disabled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewhizgeek

Broken In
Hi All:
This is my 1st post in thinkdigit,I m glad to see this forum such a active one,before everythign,adv republic day wishes :). and here is my Q

I work for a MNC and we face this prob,where the users are able to change the default home page settings so tat they can point to any,like www.google.com or so on, can any of you point/direct me on how i can stop that happening.i want to point all the employee's browsers homepage to be pointing to our intranet page,we are responsible for creating the build of the OS build aswell.so i would be easy for us to change any registry setting in the image so that we can clone later...,

btw, is it possible to push any particular setting via Active Directory..

hope u all got my Q,btw, is it possible for me to disable the buttons in

IE
Internet options -> Home Page Settings -> "USE current,USE blank,USe default" Buttons to be diabled and having the default hoem page to be our intranet page.

request you to kindly give me idea on FireFox,opera and others tooo.

Thanks in adv,plz ping me on this!!! thanks....

amitava82

MMO Addict
You can change it using GPO editor using MMC console. I don't remember exact path to that particular settings but you can do that. Ask your sys admin.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
yes you can set the default homepage..and others wont be able to change it. you can do so, using Microsoft Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK).

You can download, and learn more about this from here:
*technet.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/bb219543.aspx

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Thats very easy. I'll tell you the registry codes for both "setting your desired page as homepage" as well as "Restricting users to change the homepage":

1. To Set the Homepage:

Open regedit and goto:

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
In right-side pane, change value of Start Page to your desired URL, in your case your Intranet address.

2. To restrict users from changing homepage:

Open regedit and goto:

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
Under this key create new key "Control Panel". Now in right-side pane, create a new DWORD value HomePage and set its value to 1. It'll disable all 3 buttons to change Homepage in Internet Options.
Since you want to mass restrict, then I'm also providing the ready-made registry code for you. You just need to copy it in Notepad, save the file with name "Vishal.reg" (including quotes) and then run the file:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Start Page"="*www.AskVG.com/"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]
"HomePage"=dword:00000001
NOTE: Here "*www.AskVG.com/" is just an example, change this URL with your Intranet URL.

I hope it'll help you. Feel free to ask any further query. :)

OP
T

thewhizgeek

Broken In
That is jus great !!!!!!!!! thank u vishal , amitav, ravi for the efforts

I m happy for the response i got for the 1st time itself :D

ui m too happy for this!! hats off ThinkDigit....

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I'm glad that it helped you. Whenever you face any problem, just ask here and we'll try to post a working solution asap. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom