I can has Nokia N79

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
^^^ I just asked.

I m making a folder by the name "Downloads" in my memory card, all downloads will go there.

I tried installing SmartGet with python 1.4.x for Symbian but Smartget was not starting, any other Download Manager available for Symbian OS?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Never used a download manager.. Why arnt you using python 1.9.0? Btw, head here for some cool stuff: *www.symbian-freak.com/downloads/freeware/cat_s60_3rd/00_index_3rd_ed.htm

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I thought 1.4.x is the latest version, thanks for version 1.9

Well, Smartget is still not starting. I installed another application, Wordmobi which is also python based for managing Wordpress blogs.

Now going to try Slick

Do I need something like CCleaner for Symbian OS cos it is also an OS?

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Hmm.. Install python 1.4.5 in phone memory and not on memory card. Then try installing Smartget on memory card. If it still doesn't work, install Smatget also in phone memory. It will work.

You dont need CCleaner, as Symbian manages application install/uninstall pretty well, as opposed to windows :)

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
This method is also not working.

Some other needs, how do I use my phone as a torch light?

After looking a lot, I found only 2 IM clients for my Phone. Fring & Slick. Fring is good but doesn't show teh status & who is from which network (yahoo or gtalk) while slick is good but which key is the enter key to send text in my keypa?

I tried IM+ & Agile Messenger, how much do they cost?

I downloaded Carbide.UI. Trying to make a them now

Last edited:
Dude, I am a MVP that does not mean I have brand loyalty towards anything Microsoft. Both Windows Mobile & Symbian are new for me, but the OS doesn't matter for me, the machine does. OS is transparent for me. The only Windows Mobile Phone I like is HTC Touch diamond but that is for 25k, way out of my budget & with only 3.2 MP Camera, so I opted for N79 instead.
Dude, thats not what I meant. BOTH WinMo and WinDesktop have several similar functions. Learning curve would be much smaller. I heard WinMo even has a registry editor. And you can develop WinMo apps using windows software.

But yeah, there are few winmo phones in your budget. However, lower down, at around 15K, there is Motorolla ZN5. Simply BEAUTIFUL winmo phone.

Anyway, thats waaay offtopic. Enjoy using N79. Is it N79 or is it N85 that is here to replace N95 ?

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
For me looks matter, I could have opted for 5800 Xpress Music, but an all touch screen phone isn't for me so I decided to go with N79. Besides, I need a phone which I can use for the next 3 years easily, my K750i has been with me for 2.5 years.

Windows Mobile 7 is coming with radical changes so buying a Windows Mobile phone right now isn't a good choice cos I won't be able to upgrade the OS (legally)

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
What files & folder should I keep & what should I remove?
Don't delete any folders.

I tried installing SmartGet with python 1.4.x for Symbian but Smartget was not starting, any other Download Manager available for Symbian OS?

Install python in phone memory, not on memory card. Then proceed with Installing SmartGet & it should work.

Do I need something like CCleaner for Symbian OS cos it is also an OS?
No need and you won't even get any soft too ;)

If you want to know how to keep your Symbian running smoothly, read my post : *gauravlive.com/2008/09/15/symbian-tips-tricks/

slick is good but which key is the enter key to send text in my keypa?
I too recommend you to stay with slick. The send key is the middle one for your device. You can check the options of Slick if it doesn't work.

Know more about Slick : *gauravlive.com/2008/09/10/slick_review/

The newer version 0.45 has improved a lot than the version I tested in the above link. I highly recommend slick. ;)

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Have you tried SymTorrent bittorrent client yet ?

I tried & liked it a lot. I downloaded a song via symtorrent & WiFi in my mobile itself yesterday. All I did was to search on mininova for the appropriate torrent & downloaded the file, after that Symtorrent did the rest & using file manager I copied it to the music folder

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Don't know, I was using WiFi.

Some more things

1) When I install some applications using the Nokia Application Installer, I get a "certificate expired" error. I tried to set the date back to 2006 & it still gave some error & the theme refused to install. Any way to fix this.

2) Fring is not working with Vodafone EDGE service but works fine with WiFi. When I tell fring to use "Vodafone Live" or "Vodefone Mobile Connect", it does nothing & then gives me an error "Could not establish connection to the fring network. Would you like to start automatic search". if I click on Yes, it starts to test connections such as Vodafone Live & Vodafone MMS etc etc.

There is a setting in Fring & Slick "System Application" what is it?

Same problem with slick, not working via Vodafone Live. It gives an error or Time Out. Now, i know Vodafone EDGE is working fine cos I m able to browser using Opera mini.

4) I installed the python runtime 1.9 in phone memory but Smartget gave the same error as it was with Runtime 1.4.x. When I click to start smartget the app starting circle comes next to it, the screen flickers & smartget closes automatically. I don't see anything.

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
@gx -

1) Try changing the year to 2007.

2) No Idea. :( It has been a long time since I used Fring.

3) Try reinstalling both python & SmartGet.

added you to my ngage friend list G5
@girish - How can I not able to see you in my friend list? :confused:
If possible, post your Ngage ID here, I will try adding you.

girish.g

respect mah authoritah!!
@G5 my username:goku11
@gxsaurav:
Go to app manager and in settings set software installtion to all and online certificate check to off

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
bu hu hu hu hu, then it sux. I wanted to install a Tango Icon theme on my Nokia N79, but I can't, Bu hu hu hu

How do I lock my phone with a password? When my friend locks his Nokia 5700 express Music phone, you need to enter a password to unlock the keypad, same goes with my friend's Nokia E51. How do I do that in my phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom