How to mount NTFS partition in Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Nope it doesn't have anything to do with pirated or non-pirated copy of windows. Cos you need the ntfs write enabled in the kernel, which came after 2.6.17 and Dapper has 2.6.15 kernel and I don't think ubuntu has anyway enabled write access to ntfs in 2.6.15 kernel by some patches.

da_tcpip

Journeyman
the only hitch for me to install this addon is the warning.. that it may hurt my hdd in some way.. how can i reassure myself.. that nothing would be damaged by it
thanks

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
@tech_your_future r u sure that latest version of kernel has ntfs write support?
but people in debian irc told me that it does not have ntfs write support
<Dheeraj_k> i just installed latest kernel but still not able to write any thing in ntfs drive :(
<PerfDave> Dheeraj_k: I don't think writeable NTFS support is in the upstream Linux kernel, because it depends on non-Free software.
<jelly-home> PerfDave: say what?
<jelly-home> Dheeraj_k: /msg dpkg ntfs-3g ... but ntfs-3g is a work in progress... HAVE BACKUPS
<PerfDave> jelly-home: Say what what?
<jelly-home> PerfDave: oh, sorry, the "ntfs driver depends on non-free so that's why it isn't in the kernel tree"
<jelly-home> PerfDave: sounds strange... what non-free software does it depend on? ntfs-progs (libntfs) is AFAICT free.
<PerfDave> jelly-home: Hmm, I thought that all the usable NTFS stuff wrapped around the Windows DLL?
<jelly-home> PerfDave: nope, current state of the art is a devel version of libntfs ("ntfs-3g") used with fuse.
<PerfDave> jelly-home: Which doesn't use any of the Windows code at all?
<jelly-home> PerfDave: Correct.
<PerfDave> jelly-home: Fair enough, I stand corrected
<PerfDave> There have been GPL-licensed wrappers for proprietary code before.
<Dheeraj_k> <jelly-home> if libntfs is free than can we expect ntfs write support in future release of kernel?
<jelly-home> PerfDave: there was that captive-ntfs hack that used pieces of wine, ReactorOS and windows dlls, yes
jelly-home> Dheeraj_k: Dunno... as it is now, you don't need support in kernel at all - just use ntfs-3g
<jelly-home> Dheeraj_k: ... the only thing needed from kernel is fuse, and it's been available in vanilla kernels since 2.6.15

<Dheeraj_k> <jelly-home> thanx for the information :)
<jelly-home> Dheeraj_k: you're welcome
source
irc.freenode.net
##debian channel

eddie

El mooooo
That PerfDave kid is stupid...NTFS-Write support (no matter how half baked it is) has been in official kernel since I don't remember when. On the other hand...the other user jelly-home just told you about a better solution for NTFS write i.e. ntfs-3g.

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
@tech_your_future i am using vanilla kernel version linux-2.6.19 and the problem is it is allowing me to write any thing on ntfs drive but it is supporting the read.

and they were knowin that i am using kernel v 2.6.19 .

but surprisingly i am able to do read/write on ntfs when i boot ubuntu on its default kernel!

Last edited:

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
yeah i did selected ntfs and other filesystem module. and i guess i got the answer and this time by very exprienced debian user and he is admin of that channel and if i am right than it is a official debian channel
(05:00:24) Guerin: Dheeraj_k: it's not half-baked, it's completely nonfunctional.
(05:01:21) Dheeraj_k: Guerin: that means what they said in thinkdigit is wrong?
(05:01:24) lacin left the room (quit: "Leaving").
(05:01:57) Guerin: Dheeraj_k: it's technically right - there IS what they call ntfs-write in kernel. It's just utterly ****ing useless.
(05:02:02) Guerin: Dheeraj_k: *utterly
(05:04:26) Guerin: Dheeraj_k: well, a very small part. The driver can't create or delete files, and can't change the size of a file. But you could change a file containing `bar' to `foo' as long as the size remained identical, for instance.
(05:05:49) Dheeraj_k: Guerin: actually some linux user said that i can edit, delete,move, rename file in ntfs if i am using vanilla kernel
(05:05:59) Guerin: Dheeraj_k: that's very new, then.
and he also visited this thread before answering the query as i gave him the link via pm

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
OH sorry. I haven't really tried it on a ntfs partition myself cos I don't have one. I just know that there's ntfs write support. Never knew that it was non-functional.

da_tcpip

Journeyman
has anyone tried ntfs-3g???
did anyone find any errors by writing/editing on ntfs partitions of Seagate 80 gb sata drives??
please i intend to use it.. but wanna know how safe would it be.. or how risky would it be?
thanks

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ ntfs-3g is perfectly safe. I use it on my home PC. I've transferred all kinds of files (big and small) using it. Never faced any problem, and its fast too!

da_tcpip

Journeyman
kalpik: you use your home pc as dual boot.. i use xp to play all the games.. and it has quite a staggering amount data useful to my dad.. was wondering if its same thing (dual boot) and no errs

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I support Kalpik, I've been using ntfs-3g following his earlier advice and have transferred many a files between ext3 and NTFS, 0% health reduce or problems. Just be careful with the rm, but there is a .thrash thats created on NTFS too!

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
@da_tcpip: yes, i have a dual boot setup Ubuntu/Vista

@nitish_mythology: That's got something to do with usergroups. The umask determines what usergroups get what kind of access (read or write) to the partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom