How to mount NTFS partition in Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I have installed Ubuntu the Warty Warthog release. My problem is that I cannot mount my NTFS (hda1) partition for myself. I made a folder from my username, and mounted the partition by using SU. Now, I do not have permission to view the partition. I always have to log in as SU to view the files.

Please Help.

paragkalra

The Linux Man !
Go here
*www.linux-ntfs.org/
It may provide u some help
or go here
*discoverlinux.blogspot.com/2006/04/mounting-ntfs-partition-in-redhat-and.html#links
Perhaps it may help you out

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well you can mount ntfs as read-only partition. Add the following in /etc/fstab to mount it and view without su'ing.
Code:
/dev/hdx  /<name of the folder>   ntfs   defaults,ro,umask=000    0  0
Here x in hdx is the partition number of the ntfs partition. If you have SATA drive you have to use sdx.
And reboot the computer. Somehow it did not work for me without rebooting.

mehulved

su in ubuntu???
Please explain what have you done and have you rebooted after making changes?

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Yes, I made changes to /etc/fstab as you have described exactly, even counted the spaces and entered the lines. I then restarted and tried to get into the /mnt/win folder, where I have it mounted, then it says that I donot have permission. I swear I entered everything correctly.

mehulved

Again did you reboot befotre trying to access the partition after you made changes? And no need to count the number of spaces I have left it does not make a difference. You just need to leave a space.
It won't work without a reboot. That had happened to me too. Me and some others were puliing out our hair at why I could not access windows partition as normal user even after making changes in fstab. But, it went all fine after the next reboot.

mehulved

Well it is possible using ntfs-3g or ntfs-static but it will be too slow. It is so slow that I found it too irritating to even use it.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
^^
NTFS-3G isnt slow at all tech_your_future!
Here, follow this for those who need NTFS-3g in Ubuntu.
*ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=217009
Again did you reboot befotre trying to access the partition after you made changes? And no need to count the number of spaces I have left it does not make a difference. You just need to leave a space.
It won't work without a reboot. That had happened to me too. Me and some others were puliing out our hair at why I could not access windows partition as normal user even after making changes in fstab. But, it went all fine after the next reboot.
are yaar, he said he rebooted. I mounted NTFS in my /media folder and it worked, maybe /mnt/win isnt open to all groups ? Thats a bit weird though.

Last edited:

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
i never mounted ntfs partition on ubuntu but i don't know how it mounted windows partition automatically! it allow me to read write on ntfs drive without any problem.

mehulved

Which version of Ubuntu are you talking about Desi-Tek? It must be Edgy cos AFAIK, ntfs write is supported only since kernel 2.6.17.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Edgy too by default doesnt allow writing to NTFS. But in coming mid summer the k-mod plugin will start write support. :)

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
@tech_your_future hi mate i am using dapper with latest version of kernel which i compiled recently .It require root permission to to write any thing on ntfs drive .

mehulved

OK so that's why. You have compiled a kernel with ntfs write support. A default install of Dapper won't allow to write to ntfs.
And you should be able to write as non-root user too. I guess module isn't loaded or you may have not set write permissions for non-root user, maybe intentionally.

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
latest kernel is not the reason i am able to read/write in ntfs drive from the very first day when i installed ubuntu for first time. even through live cd.
actually i mounted ntfs drive through system>administration>>disks
than i created a folder called /ntfs/windows
than i selected partition 1 added this access path /ntfs/windows
and than i clicked on enable it mounted ntfs drive with read and write support :)

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
i am using fully cr@ckd mce xp may be that could be the reason? :)
@QwertyManiac it took me more than 1.5hour to compile source code of kernel. but it was really fun :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom