How to boot the second distro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
I think this kind of a strange problem and I don't know if anyone of you have encountered. I got a Western Digital 40GB PATA HD, which I'm using at as a slave along with Seagate 160GB SATA HD. I've got Ubuntu Feisty installed on my SATA. Today, I installed a distro(can't name it here for obvious reasons) on the PATA drive, because this distro can't detect my SATA HD due to a bug in the BIOS(this has been confirmed by MSI. I got a MSI-RS480M2 motherboard). This distro has the base of Slackware. Since LILO of this new distro can't write into the SATA HD, I had to write it to the /root partition. Now, while booting, I can see only the options of Ubuntu and Windows, but not the other distro, for obvious reasons. Is there any method for Ubuntu to detect this distro as well and let me boot into that? I really, really need that distro as well. Please help out guys!

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

I couldn't get to edit the menu.lst properly by adding the name. I think there is still

some information missing for the other distro to boot. There is a section for other

OS created by Debian and it looks something like this for my Windows XP

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sda1
title Windows NT/2000/XP(loader)
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

I appended the following entry

#This entry manually added by me for the xxxxxxxxxx distro on /dev/hdd1
title xxxxxxxxx distro
root (hd1,0)
makeactive

Is there anything missing or have I gone wrong? My fdisk output is something like

this. I am not able to post the exact output as I'm on dial-up and need to save the

text entries in Windows and then connect to the net from there.

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0GB, 160041885696 bytes
/dev/sda1 * 1 3824 30716248+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 3825 19457 125572072+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 3825 8923 40957686 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6 8924 12318 27270306 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda7 12748 15816 24651711 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda8 15817 16789 7815591 83 Linux
/dev/sda9 16790 16911 979933+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris
dev/sda10 16912 19457 20450713+ 83 Linux

Disk /dev/hdd: 40.0 GB, 40020664320 bytes
/dev/hdd1 1 653 5245191 83 Linux
/dev/hdd2 654 784 1052257+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

The rest of the space in this is left unallocated as I wish to install OpenSuSE 10.2

there :D Any help guys?

Bump!

Last edited:

eddie

El mooooo
Upload your menu.lst and lilo.conf (from unnamed distro) somewhere and link us to that. Also, post the output of ls command on /boot directory of your unnamed distro.

praka123

left this forum longback
the first thing to do is find and mount ur "anonymous" distro in Ubuntu.have a look at tat distro's lilo.conf wherever it is located.copy down the kernel names (vmlinuz-2.6.xx.-686,initrd-2.6.xx-686(if there) ).then find what's the partn for ur "anonymous" distro.now open ubuntu's /boot/grub/menu.list and add the entry as:
Code:
title      name of the distro
root        (hd0,x)
kernel        /vmlinuz-2.6.xxx root=/dev/hdx ro 
initrd        /initrd.img-2.6.xxxx
savedefault
there are few things to look up.first is root (hd0,x) is ur first hdd and (hd0,x) is for eg: /dev/sda10 is ur root "/" then (hd0,9) u shud enter.
for second hdd, (hd1,x) is the way.GIYF.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

If I posted the name of the distro, I think I'll be violating the forum rules. Kalpik might have a fair idea what I'm talking about ;)

@eddie-You are trying to catch me? :D Hehehe

@Praka-I'll soon do that and post the output. I think your solution just might work.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
people use that crap. pity. Rather stick to windows than use something that makes a really bad attempt to clone windows.
And linspire has base of slackware? I thought it was debian based. Can someone clarify?

amitava82

MMO Addict
I don't understand why would ppl use one more than one distro? After all one is sufficient to survey your purpose. :?

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

Hey guys, chill! I need this distro for personal use and ITS not Linspire. Never used that and I think I'll never use that as well after the reviews I've read ;) This distro IS slackware based.

Anyway, here is the lilo.conf of that distro.

boot=/dev/hdd
prompt
timeout=20
bitmap=/boot/splash.bmp
change-rules
reset
vga=0x317
image=/boot/vmlinuz
root=current
initrd=/boot/splash.initrd
label=secretdistro
read-only

I edited the entry in menu.lst as following:
#This entry manually added by me for the xxxxxxxxxx distro on /dev/#hdd1
title secretdistro
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.20-blah-blahblah-NOSMP root=/dev/hd1 ro
initrd /boot/splash.initrd
savedefault

I get an error called Error 15: File not found

Is there a mistake in the entry I have made or the path of the disk? :confused:

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
so edit ur ubuntu's /boot/grub/menu.lst and add at last
Code:
title             Slax
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdd1 ro vga=0x317
initrd            /boot/splash.initrd
savedefault
boot
I hope that ur hdd is sata hence sdb1 else replace with hdb1.save and exit.
if in doubt with hdd names try/post the o/p of "fdisk <> -l" here :)

Last edited:
OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

No Praka, the second one is PATA. I think it will be hdd1. Please check out my fdisk -l in the 4th post :) I'll try out now :D

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
No need for multiple distros. All apps work on every gr8 distro like Redhat, Fedora, Mandriva and Ubuntu, of-course slackware which Mehul uses.

praka123

left this forum longback
check carefully the lines.btwn did u have a separate partition for /boot?also do check and make sure the kernel image(vmlinuz) and initrd are there.note the names correctly and replace it on the new entry above.

OP
phreak0ut

phreak0ut

I have just 2 partitions. One for root and the other for swap. I've entered exactly what you have posted Praka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom