How often do you reinstall windows?

How frequently do you need to reinstall windows?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
@ abtom, i was using NOD32 AV till the end of 2006, now Avast. And using TuneUp Utilities for tweaking purpose. and most importantly i'll perform few TIPS AND TRICKS that is published in Digit magazine. :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
abtom said:
but it is not as reliable as XP.And it has less driver support.
driver support yeah older hardware u need to download huge files but other than my sound card (on board intel 865gbf mobo) i didnt need any driver everything all softys everything work fine :) and stability vista is as stable if not more :) been using for a long time :)

din

Tribal Boy
Using an anti virus and anti-spyware etc is not a bad idea at all.

No virus even without using those are pure luck.

Clicking something is not the only way to get infected.

When we are in a working enviroment, there are lot of chances virus can attack, like the emails we download, the files we download etc etc. It is not possible to check each and everything every time.

When we have enough time, like we are sudents, and win reinstall is not a problem at all AV is not a big deal.

But when data is precious, time is money and when we do some very important work, if PC is infected by some virus it will not be fun. I had bad times and I know it very well.

I also agree installing AV does not protect PC 100%, its like wearing helmet while driving bike. Majority of te people die in bike accidents due to head injury but helmet is not a 100% life saver.

Prevention is always better than cure - no boasting will save our PC from virus.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
din said:

When we are in a working enviroment, there are lot of chances virus can attack, like the emails we download, the files we download etc etc. It is not possible to check each and everything every time.

When we have enough time, like we are sudents, and win reinstall is not a problem at all AV is not a big deal.

But when data is precious, time is money and when we do some very important work, if PC is infected by some virus it will not be fun. I had bad times and I know it very well.

I also agree installing AV does not protect PC 100%, its like wearing helmet while driving bike. Majority of te people die in bike accidents due to head injury but helmet is not a 100% life saver.

Prevention is always better than cure - no boasting will save our PC from virus.
me and gx have given some tips go thru them will be helpful :)

D

darkdevil

i somtimes install xp 2 times a day
due to my frequent xperiments i hav to do this

mediator

Technomancer
rohan said:
It's that time again... games won't run.. everything's sluggish.. half of the programs run with problems.. rest half won't run at all. And well.. it's time to reinstall windows. So, my question is.. how frequently do you need to reinstall windows? My question is how often you *need* to.. i am referring to the times when your computer just won't work without a reinstall.. coz i've seen retards reinstalling windows frequently just because some useless techguy told him to do.
I understand! :oops:

parak123 said:
^ne! he removes viruses manually by handpicking :wink:
lol, I guess thats his one of the very few jobs on PC! Look below for more of his tasks on PC! Must say thats a nice time pass and must agree with the priest that working on windows is like a hi-fi exam of ur aptitude!! :(

All I use is

1) Ad muncher for blocking out ads in web pages & softwares

2) Outlook 2007 & WLMD for checking my mails, so no attachment which might be dangerous opens up automatically

3) PerfectDisk, once a month

4) CCleaner, once a week

5) Tune Up Utilities, I clean the registry once a week, & defragment the registry once a month

6) I only install what I need, & not to keen with trying different softwares. For that I use VMWare virtual machine installation of Windows XP, got 2 GB RAM here so no problem running vista & VM in it

7) All the files I save go to there respective folders. Its not hard to find anything in my computer, every image goes to Picture folder, every video goes to movies folder, Artwork goes to illustration folder etc...U never need to use the Search feature of Windows Vista in my computer.

8 ) I don't use any anti virus which helps in keeping the system fast. Who needs an AV.

9) Frequent Windows Update.., software patches & driver updates.

10) Most important, Common sense

11) Registry tweaks as needed, with those features I don't need disabled via services.msc & Group Policy Editor.
:oops: Crapware all around, installed on yet another crapware! :oops:

din

Tribal Boy
@iMav

I have gone through all the points you / gx mentioned. Thanks for that. Most of them already came in somemagazines, Digit I think ?

Anyway as I mentioned, it is not a 100% safe method and it varies from person to person.

For example - for a student, it does not matter at all, install , partition, reinstall - no problems. Data ? Nothing is important

Normal working guy in some office - Less usage of internet for work, emails can be filtered or need not install something, need not download much - well and fine, again AV does not matter much

But for some it really matters.

For example - I can't chk webmail everytime before downloading emails, can't use IMAP either. It downloads directly. So theres no guarantee that it has no virus.

My clients ask me to download files from their server, I can't tell them - hey, I will not download those, whats the guarantee that it has no virus ? - I download it and if my AV catch it, good, else nothing can be done.

Before (IE was not that safe then) clients used to ask me to check sites in IE (normally I use mozilla / FF) and I had to chk sites in IE which was more prone to attacks etc.

I am sure aV helped me a lot and installing AV is not a foolish idea at all. Almost all software companies I know use good AV in their systems. When data is important, AV is also inevitable.

And yes, I paid for my AV, not a pirated one.

blackpearl

The Devil
@To all who reinstall every 2-3 months:

Are you guys crazy or what??

The last time I installed WinXP was on Nov 18, 2006 to be exact. I don't see any degradation in speed. I don't think I will reinstall Win for another 6 months atleast.

And I don't perforam any maintenance either.

Junk file cleaning - about once every 2-3 months.
Recently defragmented HD after more than 6 months.
No anti -spyware
Just 1 AV. Last virus def update, 1 month ago.
6-7 hrs of internet browsing everyday.

din

Tribal Boy
@blackpearl

Nothing wrong in installing win frequently.

When we learn PC, we experiment a lot. Installing lot of things, messing up with partitions etc etc. When we have time, it is fun and it worth at the same time.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
din said:
Normal working guy in some office - Less usage of internet for work, emails can be filtered or need not install something, need not download much - well and fine, again AV does not matter much

But for some it really matters.

For example - I can't chk webmail everytime before downloading emails, can't use IMAP either. It downloads directly. So theres no guarantee that it has no virus.

My clients ask me to download files from their server, I can't tell them - hey, I will not download those, whats the guarantee that it has no virus ? - I download it and if my AV catch it, good, else nothing can be done.

Before (IE was not that safe then) clients used to ask me to check sites in IE (normally I use mozilla / FF) and I had to chk sites in IE which was more prone to attacks etc.

I am sure aV helped me a lot and installing AV is not a foolish idea at all. Almost all software companies I know use good AV in their systems. When data is important, AV is also inevitable.

And yes, I paid for my AV, not a pirated one.
hey im not against av im just saying that av is more precautionary measure and yeah u need to have it when working in a network i use it on all my office machines even though not all our used for data transfer but i have them on all the machines and as far as ie is concerned ie's lack of security or vulnerablilty has never been a cause for my concern in office at hoome or anywhere else :)

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
You won't believe but it is the truth. When I had Windows XP till March'07 I had to reinstall it almost every 2nd day!!!!!! Bloody and Nonsense windows. Thooh. I will spit on it. It is a Donkey. The most worst thing in this world.

Please don't take my comments seriously. I have a very BAD experience with Windows, which made me talk all this nonsense about Windows.

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
din said:

misconception

only worms can attack without executing(thr network), u only need a firewall in windows nothing more.
Last time i reinstalled was jan 07, no problems till now even after numerous program installation its still doing fine.

vaithy

In the zone
Dear The Unknown!!!
Your statement is very nasty.. why did you see only the negative thing..
Did you think, if your Windows work perfectly,and without any virus attack, you will say such things..You'll not learn to try some alternative OS such as Linux..u still sing for M$ forever..I am actually a accountant, I don't know any thing about computer when I bought my first PC, the shock given by Windows push me to the Linux world..Now I am verymuch thanful for Windows and its CEO Steve Ballmer,who is giving such nice publicity for Linux..
with regards,
Vaithy

praka123

left this forum longback
^the unknown is a fedora dual boot user ;)

din said:
@blackpearl

Nothing wrong in installing win frequently.

When we learn PC, we experiment a lot. Installing lot of things, messing up with partitions etc etc. When we have time, it is fun and it worth at the same time.
there is this file system fragmentation(not a problem in unix fs's) though ntfs became better in Vista even.also the decaying binary protected registry due to update or due to pirated/cracks or installation&uninstallation of apps etc.
this all leads to ur system literally crawling.this is well known as "Windows Rot"
as in rotten :D
afair M$ even recommends a reinstallation before 6 months or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom