How often do you reinstall windows?

How frequently do you need to reinstall windows?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rohan

In the zone
It's that time again... games won't run.. everything's sluggish.. half of the programs run with problems.. rest half won't run at all. And well.. it's time to reinstall windows. So, my question is.. how frequently do you need to reinstall windows? My question is how often you *need* to.. i am referring to the times when your computer just won't work without a reinstall.. coz i've seen retards reinstalling windows frequently just because some useless techguy told him to do.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
How the hack do u guys use your system? Don't u ever clean your system for temp files etc, it only takes 4 mins weekly using CCleaner & TuneUp utilities Registry cleaner, & perfectdisk.

Whats the point of reinstalling WIndows? I m still using Vista installed in november 2006

@desibond-lol,i DL torr**s.
so some viruses come with them.
thats why i have to reinstall my win coz it becomes so slow.
but i wont have to do that now as i got zone alarm.
earlier i had F**NG nav 06 which FU***KED my PC.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
6-10 months .. if xp is in "rot" mode then I switch to linux , then back again :p

OP
rohan

rohan

In the zone
gx_saurav said:
How the hack do u guys use your system? Don't u ever clean your system for temp files etc, it only takes 4 mins weekly using CCleaner & TuneUp utilities Registry cleaner, & perfectdisk.

Whats the point of reinstalling WIndows? I m still using Vista installed in november 2006

u r so not a geek...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
vista i havnt re-installed since the day i first installed it maybe some 8 months ago well same is the case with xp last i re-installed was wen i bought a new hdd so that wud make it like 3 years and once re-installed ... wonder wat u ppl do on ur pc that u need to do all this

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
I have only once reinstalled Windows for a period of 1.8 months. That to due to virus attack. It made some unrepairable changes in registry.

Last edited:

adi007

Youngling
First i wolud reinstall windows once in 2 weeks:( and now I have made a clean backup copy of Windows XP with all softwares installed by using Acronics True Image and i just restore the backup when something happens :):):)

almighty

Ambassador of Buzz
I reinstall within 2 months or can say in a month :)
coz i try my slipstreamed xp and observe any bug... if i find one then after fixing those bugs i reinstall again....

but now I have the ultimate version of xp which dont have any bug in my knowledge...

bug in the sense of s.w or updates which i integrate in xp....
I reinstall xp trice in a day when i was slipstreaming sata/raid drivers in xp :D
and that was the most happiest day when i find a way to install xp with pressing F6 during installation

why is there no option "daily like install"
LOL coz u no one install it daily... seems u install daily. :D huh

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
iMav said:
vista i havnt re-installed since the day i first installed it maybe some 8 months ago well same is the case with xp last i re-installed was wen i bought a new hdd so that wud make it like 3 years and once re-installed ... wonder wat u ppl do on ur pc that u need to do all this

@gx & imav,

Why don't you guys post some tips that you follow to keep your system clean, the tools you use to keep it fast and tidy.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
desiibond said:
@gx & imav,

Why don't you guys post some tips that you follow to keep your system clean, the tools you use to keep it fast and tidy.

All I use is

1) Ad muncher for blocking out ads in web pages & softwares

2) Outlook 2007 & WLMD for checking my mails, so no attachment which might be dangerous opens up automatically

3) PerfectDisk, once a month

4) CCleaner, once a week

5) Tune Up Utilities, I clean the registry once a week, & defragment the registry once a month

6) I only install what I need, & not to keen with trying different softwares. For that I use VMWare virtual machine installation of Windows XP, got 2 GB RAM here so no problem running vista & VM in it

7) All the files I save go to there respective folders. Its not hard to find anything in my computer, every image goes to Picture folder, every video goes to movies folder, Artwork goes to illustration folder etc...U never need to use the Search feature of Windows Vista in my computer.

8 ) I don't use any anti virus which helps in keeping the system fast. Who needs an AV.

9) Frequent Windows Update.., software patches & driver updates.

10) Most important, Common sense

11) Registry tweaks as needed, with those features I don't need disabled via services.msc & Group Policy Editor.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
gx does a lot more than i do :lol:

just know what ur installing and the source from where ur installing like i know a lot of my frenz download stuff from limewire now if u observe a lot of music and vdo search results turn up with files of sizes in kb which are 100% viruses so chk wht ur downloading

use a good av and when i say that i am saying norton and mcafee suck use nod32 or avast and keep them updated ... using a pirated av means ur already compromised and add to that the fact norton and mcafee dont detect a lot of viruses i use windows firewall & defender and on gx's recommendation i am using ad mincher as of now

e-mails - chk them online and then download them .... most sites now have very good filters but still dont download all ur mail and chk the atachments see online and then download

besides that as gx said disable all that u dont want .... in my case i dont disable everything because my dad or some relative fren will come and ask for something

other than that just know where ur clicking :)

din

Tribal Boy
I remember how happy and curious when I saw the message - You are going to run windows for the first time - in win 98 install. But after installing Lin and messing up with the win partitions (8 yrs back) I saw the same message more than 5 times on the same week :D

Its fun to reinstall and re-partition often when we learn etc but once we start working and when 'time is money' its not that fun.

@gx_saurav

Lier, lier lier :D

Either you forget things very fast or you lie a lot ;)

Don't you remember installing Vista at 2.00 AM on your birthday ? That was in Sep !!!

@iMav

Yes, I think you are right ;) gx does a lot more than you do lol

Last edited:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
iMav said:
e-mails - chk them online and then download them .... most sites now have very good filters but still dont download all ur mail and chk the atachments see online and then download

I forgot to mention. I don't download emails directly in my Outlook. I first download only the email headers which take usually 100 kb of 60 mails. Then I select what I need to download to this computer & delete what I don't need.

din said:
@gx_saurav

Lier, lier lier :D

Either you forget things very fast or you lie a lot ;)

Don't you remember installing Vista at 2.00 AM on your birthday ? That was in Sep !!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: , thats beyond the scope of discussion of this thread. besides...I installed at someone else's computer :D

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy
No, no, according to iMav's theory, nothing is beyond the scope of the thread.

And topic is "How frequently do you need to reinstall windows?" and not "How frequently do you need to reinstall windows in your PC ?" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom