How much time do you spend on TDF on an average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Its about to become 2 years, since I joined TDF.
I was excited at first, then I lost touch. And now I am trying to compensate for the lost time.

Today suddenly, I realized the reason behind, this gap.
When I had joined TDF in May 2009, I was on Orkut. Soon I left Orkut and migrated towards Facebook by the year end. Facebook really attracted me towards its fantasies. I became lost in building Cafes in the Virtual World, and trying to live a virtual life in YoVille.

It was also the newly acquired Job that made me a little busy for about one year in 2010.

Slowly but steadily, when I removed my blindfolds towards the devastating nature of such apps of FB, did I realized that I was missing something. It didn't took the research of the Einstein to find out what it was. It was simply the touch of real world. The opinions of people that matters. And stories based on Real geeks such as here in TDF.

Maybe that was the reason for my comeback. I regained consciousness and TDF helped me (and still helping) in various fields of knowledge of current affairs and technology in general. It have open new and amazing insights that I had never thought of before. But not everything is as Jolly as it sounds.
Now I have another addiction to take care of.

Today, it looks like I have again indulged in an activity that is stopping me from giving time to a lot of things which are pending in my life. That activity is participating in TDF. I am not blaming TDF for anything, but I am concerned that I maybe giving time more in this world rather the actual world.

So I would appreciate some answers towards some questions raised by such concerns:
1. How much time do you spend on TDF.
2. Do you think, you are spending more time than you should, OR giving less time than you want to give.
3. Are you able to balance your lifestyle in this Amazing world of TDF and the Real world?

Sorry, if I sound kiddish, or if this thread breaks some rules. Its just that, I want some feedback from fellow geeks here at TDF.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
1. How much time do you spend on TDF. 7-8 hours/day.
2. Do you think, you are spending more time than you should, OR giving less time than you want to give. Wish I could spend more time.
3. Are you able to balance your lifestyle in this Amazing world of TDF and the Real world? Of course.

doomgiver

Warframe
1. i bunked college today to help out a tdf friend. i spend 2-3 hours per day, spread over 6 am to 11 pm.
2. spending too much time browsing and waiting for 'the next reply' rather than doing my work. i'd like to spend more time, but i have to spend less time. a big dilemma.
3. heck no, its too addictive to give up.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
A: 5-7hrs. 10hrs during holidays.
2. Do you think, you are spending more time than you should, OR giving less time than you want to give.
A: yes, wasting a bit more time. but TDF is addictive when replies are coming fast.
3. Are you able to balance your lifestyle in this Amazing world of TDF and the Real world?
A: when i am free, i come online. so it gets balanced by its own.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
A: 4-6hrs. 3hrs during holidays.
A: Same as Sam. some time feels like i am wasting time, but when replies are interesting i lost myself here.
A: I will not be active if i have work, so obviously it's balanced

A: undefined. 4-5 hrs if i am stuck on some question. 1 hr skimming posts. may be whole holiday figuring out answer before replying

A: active threads make up for quality time

A: real life keeps me away from TDF, but i try to make up for it

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Now that I have gotten some feedback, I would like to put my own view forth:

I spend most of my time online. Be it office, or home. I find myself juggle mostly between 2 tabs: Facebook and TDF.
So, the number of hours usually remain b/w 6 hrs from a busy day, to >10 hrs on a few days.

I think, I am spending more time, then I should, since I think I spend most of my time reading old threads, and other's answers. (Thats because I am a little n00b in technical queries, and because I enjoy reading.)

I dont thinks so. :sad: As I said earlier, I think I am spending more time participating in discussions, rather than trying to learn some real skills, like .NET which would help me in my career.

I don't know, how to balance. What to do! :cry:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Generally after coming back from office I come online. So at an avg. it's 8:00PM - 12:00PM.

No, at a time, I used to be online from 6:00PM to 2:00PM. Wish I could have continued that.

Yes, of course no problem at all.

Piyush

Lanaya
1--->6hrs average,...almost 10-12 hrs on holiday

2-->man..i'm spending enough time...

3-->its balanced... :meditate:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Ans- Around 3-4 hours everyday. Sometimes less.

Ans- I want to give more time.

Ans- Yes

sygeek

Technomancer
1. All the time except for some uninvited events ;D
2. I give it my "all the time", can't increase it.
3. Nope

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
@sygeek and @pulkitpopli2004: You both said, you are not able to balance your lifestyle b/w these two worlds. So have you given any thought to make it balanced?

sygeek

Technomancer
@sygeek and @pulkitpopli2004: You both said, you are not able to balance your lifestyle b/w these two worlds. So have you given any thought to make it balanced?
Tried alot, but failed..and still trying with numerous fails

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Tried alot, but failed..and still trying with numerous fails

Don't get me wrong, just asking out of curiosity. But it seems you havn't had more than a month on TDF and already feeling unbalanced :?

sygeek

Technomancer
Don't get me wrong, just asking out of curiosity. But it seems you havn't had more than a month on TDF and already feeling unbalanced :?
I visit many other forums too, but now TDF has overtaken the ratio of time between them.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Nowdays 3-4 hr....when I was in college I used to be more online

i am spending less time then i want to give..previously I used to find answer by searching on net..but nowdays just answer with my limited knowledge

Yes perfectly...although people always ask me what do I do in this forum

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I visit many other forums too, but now TDF has overtaken the ratio of time between them.

Ok. Now I understand :)
Everybody know, TDF's the best. (Although I havn't been to any other forum :)))

The unbalanced nature of my involvement can be judged by the fact, that I havn't stood up from the chair, on which I sat at 9 pm. And my mom is screaming me to have a hair cut, and to bath :-D :)-()

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom