How much is too much for a smartphone?

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
I would not spend more than 20k on a '' smart'' phone though I did bought s3 for 31k but now I regret in the sense that even if I would have bought s2 plus or even s advance my purpose would have been fullfiled

ratul

█████████████████
20-25k for me.. :p
i still miss the Nokia n95 era, when those flagship models weren't in 40k and yet you didn't used to see them in every teenager's hand, now i everyday see hundreds of teenagers holding a "Quadcore" S4 or Note2 in the metro, flaunting them, and still just using a browser or whatsapp in it, tasks which a person holding a 10k phone can do with equal ease... :p And companies target these customers only, buying quadcore machines, using just for word-processing.. :p

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
15-20k should be max , (though there are *very* few exception) I agree with what everyone above me said .

P.S. That is why I bought a Pantech Burst for my sis . :))

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
i still miss the Nokia n95 era, when those flagship models weren't in 40k and yet you didn't used to see them in every teenager's hand, now i everyday see hundreds of teenagers holding a "Quadcore" S4 or Note2 in the metro, flaunting them, and still just using a browser or whatsapp in it, tasks which a person holding a 10k phone can do with equal ease... :p And companies target these customers only, buying quadcore machines, using just for word-processing.. :p

word-processing ?? how a thing can be called word-processing when you can't type at 'normal' speed or even below that....
even i prefer chatting on a desktop/laptop than a mobile/tablet coz i would take hell loads of time to just type even subtle responses...
these phones are a pile of trash...and people just buy them for money to show off...

ratul

█████████████████
word-processing ?? how a thing can be called word-processing when you can't type at 'normal' speed or even below that....
even i prefer chatting on a desktop/laptop than a mobile/tablet coz i would take hell loads of time to just type even subtle responses...
these phones are a pile of trash...and people just buy them for money to show off...

relax, it was just a comparison like for someone with a need to just use MS-Word and internet buying a 1lac i7 gtx675m laptop, total waste of money and common sense...
Today's youngsters are driven by the style statement, "tashan" and have quite a lot of money in their hand, so these phones are like cheap plastic for them, S4 launch, they buy, next year S5 launch, they sell S4 and buy S5 and this cycle continues every year... :-(

deepanshuchg

Ambassador of Buzz
[quot
i still miss the nokia n95 era, when those flagship models weren't in 40k and yet you didn't used to see them in every teenager's hand, now i everyday see hundreds of teenagers holding a "quadcore" s4 or note2 in the metro, flaunting them, and still just using a browser or whatsapp in it, tasks which a person holding a 10k phone can do with equal ease... :p and companies target these customers only, buying quadcore machines, using just for word-processing.. :p

+1

quagmire

Allllright !
relax, it was just a comparison like for someone with a need to just use MS-Word and internet buying a 1lac i7 gtx675m laptop, total waste of money and common sense...
Today's youngsters are driven by the style statement, "tashan" and have quite a lot of money in their hand, so these phones are like cheap plastic for them, S4 launch, they buy, next year S5 launch, they sell S4 and buy S5 and this cycle continues every year... :-(

+1.

Companies rely on hyperconsumerism and planned obsolescence.There was a nice article in Digit few months ago about this..

Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 are outdated by today's standards but still work like a charm better than some recent releases..

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!

+1
Include the iSheep crowd in that list too.
A 15-20k phone should be nice for 2-3 years usage or even more if the phone is good enough (excluding the local cr@ppy brands).

But for most people a device like note 2 can completely replace a PC (This may not apply to geeks though :D)

I would like to see those people play Crysis 1/2/3 :deadbored: or hell even type 50+ pages in a word processing app easily and faster than on a PC on their Note 2. Besides, how will those people store all their *stuff* ( 100s of GBs of movies, games, apps, mp3's, pics, etc) on a note 2 with just one micro sd card?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Who uses 100% of a smartphone? It's impossible
Desktop is also not smartphone replacement

10k/ year is sufficient for me

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
The amount depends on how you use your phone.

I wouldn't advise burning ~45k on something like an HTC One S to a person who only uses a few applications, doesn't run 200 (it's ok, I'm exaggerating) applications simultaneously like a retard and usually listens to music all the time.

For him an 18-25k phone packed with lots of storage (at least 32GB in built or option to put expanded memory of at least 32GB) and a dual core ARM Cortex A9 with 1GB RAM is plenty.

And one should never fall for tricks and gimmicks like "touch-free" gesture control, media stopping if head is turned etc. Most of the time they are fluff that can make you look strange if you use them in public.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Besides, how will those people store all their *stuff* ( 100s of GBs of movies, games, apps, mp3's, pics, etc) on a note 2 with just one micro sd card?

movies, games, apps, mp3s - watch and delete after consumption, re-download when necessary
pics and documents - cloud. but the point that phone cannot replace desktop is valid, at the same time desktop cannot replace phone. (think whatsapp, e-tickets).

smartphone? really? you use notes, to do, reminder, calender sync, task manager and every word in the dictionary? that and not including playing and installing every game and app ever released. impossible, no one needs to use 100% of a phone. Forget smartphones, even the phones that came out 10 years ago. The main thing here is what the consumer needs to do, not what the phone can do.

annnd haters gonna hate...

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
movies, games, apps, mp3s - watch and delete after consumption, re-download when necessary
pics and documents - cloud. but the point that phone cannot replace desktop is valid, at the same time desktop cannot replace phone. (think whatsapp, e-tickets).

smartphone? really? you use notes, to do, reminder, calender sync, task manager and every word in the dictionary? that and not including playing and installing every game and app ever released. impossible, no one needs to use 100% of a phone. Forget smartphones, even the phones that came out 10 years ago. The main thing here is what the consumer needs to do, not what the phone can do.

annnd haters gonna hate...

Agreed. Look at phones as how they best fit your current usage patterns. Don't fall for marketing and hype.

For that very reason, I recently purchased a Nokia N9 that should arrive in a week.

Even though this "smart" phone is very old by tech standards, I've purchased it because it is the only phone presently available that fits my requirements (minus the FM transmitter that seems to be absent from all phones made now).

Top Bottom