Hi-Fi Music: Bass & Treble Controls

Bass & Treble Controls required?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
One of the top company namely "BOSE" believes pure music reproduction is reproducing music how it is recorded. They don't believe in putting those controls. For them it is like changing the way music is supposed to sound. Hence most of there systems don't have Bass & Treble controls. Some reviewers say that Bose is unusually expensive and some say that it's worth each penny.

This is in contrary to what other companies manufacture. They all have Bass & Treble controls.

Last edited:

legolas

Padawan
To be honest, I really din't know Bose Speakers were designed with the logic you have mentioned. Either ways, We can change the equalizer characteristics of the song internally, if not in the speaker (in case of a computer)??

If not, I would really want to hear a meaningful explanation to back up the logic you have mentioned as to changing the original music...??

enticer86

Stay Silent!
AFAIK, most songs these days are digitally mastered that do NOT need any further equaliser adjustment.
Coming to Bose: they may not have these controls, but then they indeed ARE worth every penny. They may be very expensive, but then you need to have the ears to appreciate music.

PS: since the Original poster discussed Bose, i did not talk abt any other music player/ Earphone/Headphone

legolas

Padawan
Songs may be digitally mastered. But, usually while playing in the softwares, either they should be able to identify the actual genre of music and alter the equalizer accordingly or we have to set it in the software, preassigned for a particular band or so...

But, I don't think BASS and TREBLE buttons alone will do any trick (for the reason I explained). An equalizer is what is necessary.. I guess boss systems should have it (not the speakers)...

But as enticer86 pointed out, BOSE is supposedly (i dont know technical differences) the best!!

controls are a must... in amplifiers... not in speakers..

speakers having bass/treble controls have built-in amplifiers and are not of good quality.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
I prefer playing music the Way it was recorded .

And besides passing music through a circuitry to adjust treble , bass will result in loss of quality .

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Bose:they are grossly overpriced but I am kinda their fan,even their entry level headphones are awesome.

controls:I dont use them at all,just sometimes change equaliser settings from the software itself.

PCWORM

UBERGEEK
I agree with bose,, the inclusion of Bass and treble controls wipes out the real
In-thing of the songs,,and gives it a wieird Chirpy and thumping profile.!!
I even dont use equaliser setting while hearing songs, i usually hear all songs
on PowerDVD 7.0 which has no equaliser and Bass-treble controls...
It uses some sophisticated processing modules like Dolby prologic, Dolby virtual speaker which truly enhance the listening experience without any aural
distortion!!!

Ch@0s

In the zone
Bass and Treble controls are basically not worth it. I use a vacuum tube preamplifier and a solid state power amplifier. The only controls the preamp has are volume and input selection.

What treble/bass controls do is add another stage of passive filtering components into the signal path which in reduces the signal purity.

Also less said about bose, the better. It is *absolute overpriced crap*. Here is a nice read.

*www.intellexual.net/bose.html

PCWORM

UBERGEEK
Bass and Treble controls are basically not worth it. I use a vacuum tube preamplifier and a solid state power amplifier. The only controls the preamp has are volume and input selection.

What treble/bass controls do is add another stage of passive filtering components into the signal path which in reduces the signal purity.

Also less said about bose, the better. It is *absolute overpriced crap*. Here is a nice read.

*www.intellexual.net/bose.html
yes i admit bose is not d best, but it is surely amongst the best audio innovators..the other players in the market are onkyo, pioneer, klipsch afaik

pushkaraj

In the zone
Ch@os said:

+1

controls are a must... in amplifiers... not in speakers..

speakers having bass/treble controls have built-in amplifiers and are not of good quality.

+1

anarchist said:
Controls should be there. They are required in adujusting different accoustic conditios, we can always turn them to zero position if required.

+1 to this too, because the music is produced in the recording studio under ideal conditions and even if the speakers like those from BOSE make an earnest attempt to give a faithful reproduction of the song by not giving the user any controls like Bass and Treble, yet the place where the music will be heard may not have ideal or near-ideal conditions so even if the music is faithfully produced, it would sound different than the original to the listener. What Bose means to say is that they have done their bit in giving faithful sound output by not giving the user the bass and treble controls.

I agree with bose,, the inclusion of Bass and treble controls wipes out the real
In-thing of the songs,,and gives it a wieird Chirpy and thumping profile.!!
I even dont use equaliser setting while hearing songs, i usually hear all songs
on PowerDVD 7.0 which has no equaliser and Bass-treble controls...
It uses some sophisticated processing modules like Dolby prologic, Dolby virtual speaker which truly enhance the listening experience without any aural
distortion!!!

Ultimately what powerdvd is doing using Dolby prologic and Dolby virtual speaker is also changing the original sound reproduction. Also when you say that the bass and treble controls wipes out the real In-thing of the songs even i may say that Dolby prologic and Dolby virtual speaker do the same to the sound. No offence meant, bro(in fact i have tried the dolby virtual speaker and indeed liked it :grin: ). What i want to say is
what is music to my ears might not be music to your ears and vice versa

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
there's so much above Bose..its just insanely overpriced crap.and as far as Bass and treble is concerned--it should be there-sometimes u might wanna lower the Bass in a game--where will u find an EQ?

PCWORM

UBERGEEK
+Ultimately what powerdvd is doing using Dolby prologic and Dolby virtual speaker is also changing the original sound reproduction. Also when you say that the bass and treble controls wipes out the real In-thing of the songs even i may say that Dolby prologic and Dolby virtual speaker do the same to the sound. No offence meant, bro(in fact i have tried the dolby virtual speaker and indeed liked it :grin: ). What i want to say is
what is music to my ears might not be music to your ears and vice versa
Yes,,Dolby modules do change the sound but to make it feel better as u said..
another option is to use winamp or WMP with the equaliser and other setting disabled,,and did so well!

Ch@0s

In the zone
yes i admit bose is not d best, but it is surely amongst the best audio innovators..the other players in the market are onkyo, pioneer, klipsch afaik

Bose has never done any innovation in Audio. They just have a great marketing department.

If you tell me that Audio Research/Conrad Johnson/Thiel/Passlabs/Linkwitz Labs/Dynaudio/B&W or something similar has done innovation, I would kinda agree but Bose is rubbish... absolute rubbish. You can get far better deals than bose for half the money. Even uber cheapo made in india Norge electronics stuff sounds a million times better than bose.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Lemme tell you one thing.. Quality of music is a very relative term.. What may sound good to you without adjustment, may sound bad to me!

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I like the natural sound of music, so no basshunter for me.

It would be nice to have bass and treble control for movies and games.

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
To be honest, I really din't know Bose Speakers were designed with the logic you have mentioned. Either ways, We can change the equalizer characteristics of the song internally, if not in the speaker (in case of a computer)??

If not, I would really want to hear a meaningful explanation to back up the logic you have mentioned as to changing the original music...??

Yes. Bose believes in reproducing the rich music the way it got recorded in studio. By using graphic equalizer, it's nothing but altering the original sound.

AFAIK, most songs these days are digitally mastered that do NOT need any further equaliser adjustment.
Coming to Bose: they may not have these controls, but then they indeed ARE worth every penny. They may be very expensive, but then you need to have the ears to appreciate music.

PS: since the Original poster discussed Bose, i did not talk abt any other music player/ Earphone/Headphone

Exactly! They are worth every penny!

I am not surprised to see many people voting for "Yes". That has been the case with most of manufacturers. I have seen some music systems with around 10-band graphic equalizer for each channel! So 20 in whole! What the heck? By doing so, Left will sound different than right channel. The music output in such case is entirely different from what is recorded in Studio. Who understands music best? A creator or a listener?

pushkaraj

In the zone
I am not surprised to see many people voting for "Yes". That has been the case with most of manufacturers. I have seen some music systems with around 10-band graphic equalizer for each channel! So 20 in whole! What the heck? By doing so, Left will sound different than right channel. The music output in such case is entirely different from what is recorded in Studio.

No doubt the music reproduced that way would definitely not resemble a studio. But do u know that there are many songs out there that have parts of them coming out differently from two channels. Listen to the beginning of the song "Aazmale" from the movie "Taxi no. 9 2 11". You will know what i mean(Try to listen to the song on an earphone, if need be, to understand how the sound "seems to travel" from the left channel to the right channel.) And AFAIK, that really does not reduce the beauty of the song. In fact, that effect is deliberately done. Similarly, if there are graphic equalisers available with 10 bands per channel, then they need not really sound bad with different settings on different channel. It depends on how they have been adjusted. Of course, that would make the music sound completely different from the original one. But then the one who has bought such a system, and knows what he has got, is indeed a music enthusiast who loves to listen to songs in his own way:D

Who understands music best? A creator or a listener?

I did not understand what u meant by "understand"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom