Bass & Treble Controls required?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
No doubt the music reproduced that way would definitely not resemble a studio. But do u know that there are many songs out there that have parts of them coming out differently from two channels. Listen to the beginning of the song "Aazmale" from the movie "Taxi no. 9 2 11". You will know what i mean(Try to listen to the song on an earphone, if need be, to understand how the sound "seems to travel" from the left channel to the right channel.) And AFAIK, that really does not reduce the beauty of the song. In fact, that effect is deliberately done. Similarly, if there are graphic equalisers available with 10 bands per channel, then they need not really sound bad with different settings on different channel. It depends on how they have been adjusted. Of course, that would make the music sound completely different from the original one. But then the one who has bought such a system, and knows what he has got, is indeed a music enthusiast who loves to listen to songs in his own way:D

That's called "Stereo" and yes there are tons of music effects in day-today music. My point was that 10 band graphic equalizer for each channel doesn't make any sense. The swing which you said will vanish if right channel high frequency range is increased using Graphic equalizer. So it sounds different than original.

I believe that Graphic Equalizer's are useful in speakers which are not capable of producing original sound. Use graphic equalizers to tweak the non-performing Woofer/Tweater. That applies for all low quality systems.

I did not understand what u meant by "understand"?

"knows"

pushkaraj

In the zone
That's called "Stereo" and yes there are tons of music effects in day-today music. My point was that 10 band graphic equalizer for each channel doesn't make any sense. The swing which you said will vanish if right channel high frequency range is increased using Graphic equalizer. So it sounds different than original.

I agree *gigasmilies.googlepages.com/113.gif

The creator need not necessarily know music better than the listener and vice versa.

T159 said:
a tie b/w true listener and true creator.

+1

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Bass and Treble controls are basically not worth it. I use a vacuum tube preamplifier and a solid state power amplifier. The only controls the preamp has are volume and input selection.

What treble/bass controls do is add another stage of passive filtering components into the signal path which in reduces the signal purity.

Yep. In my college days, I had a big craze about Passive filters and BT boards. I made my own Passive boards, connected to woofer and tweater and decreased midrange frequency as much as possible. It sounded good for particular songs and for short interval. As I ventured deeply, I recognized "rich" sound is not the altered level of frequency but it's the reproduction of "all" frequencies in a pleasant manner. With a BT board it is not possible.

Also less said about bose, the better. It is *absolute overpriced crap*. Here is a nice read.

*www.intellexual.net/bose.html

I won't believe in such links. If needed, I can give some more against bose.
I am in process of reviewing Bose Companion 2 which I bought for 100$. The problem is I can't compare it with my existing sound system at home (in India). So I can do this in March after coming to India. That will clear my doubts.

Dude u read minds or something? u wont believe it but even i was going to give the example of A. R. Rehman :p

I dono whether I can read all minds...but I can read yours. ;)

Last edited:

Ch@0s

In the zone
What sound system do you have at home? Its upto you to believe or not but bose is complete crap. Zero value for money.

Passive components exist in all decent speakers. All conventional speakers of decent build quality have an L-C-R crossover network. Certain designs such as the thiel CS2.4 are phase coherent and don't require one.

Last edited:

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental
My 2 paise:
Bose = expensive crap
Marantz = expensive not crap
Assembled box with things i put in (with bass and treble controls) = worth my 2 paise

even though i agree that its evil to adjust music using controls/equalizer, i would like to have that option

Hell, I even got myself a 24 band analog equalizer (that ****'s rare) along with a dsp for my poweramp. Never tweaked the equalizer though. My floorstanders make enough bass anyway. Used only for parties. For music there is my foobar2k on an audigy.

Last edited:

legolas

Padawan
Ok guys, I was about to buy stereo speakers from Bose... Now, I am starting to have alternating opinions!! :)

If not Bose, what else do you suggest? (sorry if it is Off Topic)

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
What sound system do you have at home? Its upto you to believe or not but bose is complete crap. Zero value for money.

Passive components exist in all decent speakers. All conventional speakers of decent build quality have an L-C-R crossover network. Certain designs such as the thiel CS2.4 are phase coherent and don't require one.

The system which I want to compare with is Artis 2.1 Speaker system which I bought for Rs.1200 for my lappy.

Did you listen to Bose? Or it's others experience which is speaking your words? Bose Companion 2 sounds impressive for it's compact size. It is so compact that I can easily carry it anywhere during onsite visits. During purchase, it was only one compact model that sounded rich. Other models I saw didn't even have the depth required to produce good fidelity sound. Bose Companion 2 has a impressive 12 Cm depth... ..(See image).
Ofcourse at 100$ I can get a better 2.1, if not a 5.1 channel sound system which may sound better than Companion 2. But portability is concern.

*img100.imageshack.us/img100/2095/img1254largepw5.th.jpg *img91.imageshack.us/img91/743/img1256largehd2.th.jpg *img211.imageshack.us/img211/6834/img1257largeze6.th.jpg *img443.imageshack.us/img443/1516/img1258largedv9.th.jpg *img149.imageshack.us/img149/2332/img1260largexz5.th.jpg

Last edited:

Ch@0s

In the zone
The system which I want to compare with is Artis 2.1 Speaker system which I bought for Rs.1200 for my lappy.

Did you listen to Bose? Or it's others experience which is speaking your words? Bose Companion 2 sounds impressive for it's compact size. It is so compact that I can easily carry it anywhere during onsite visits. During purchase, it was only one compact model that sounded rich. Other models I saw didn't even have the depth required to produce good fidelity sound. Bose Companion 2 has a impressive 12 Cm depth... ..(See image).
Ofcourse at 100$ I can get a better 2.1, if not a 5.1 channel sound system which may sound better than Companion 2. But portability is concern.

*img100.imageshack.us/img100/2095/img1254largepw5.th.jpg *img91.imageshack.us/img91/743/img1256largehd2.th.jpg *img211.imageshack.us/img211/6834/img1257largeze6.th.jpg *img443.imageshack.us/img443/1516/img1258largedv9.th.jpg *img149.imageshack.us/img149/2332/img1260largexz5.th.jpg

Yea have heard that piece of crap. My cousin bro has one. Sounds like rubbish. It has a bloated bottom, slightly forward sounding highs and a completely muddy midrange. For less than 100$, you can get the M-Audio Studio Pro AV30 which will whack the bose bigtime. Other options are the Klipsch Promedia 2.0 and the Behringer MS40.

Ofcourse it'll sound better than a 1200 rupee artis speaker that you have. What you need to look at is what can be had for 100$. If you are looking for a high quality compact system, I suggest you look at the AudioEngine A2 for a bit more. You won't be disappointed.

legolas

Padawan
a tie b/w true listener and true creator.

Seems like this should be the answer to Science and God topic too! ;)

@Zeeshan Quireshi
Wow, the specifications and the looks are gr8, any idea on the price? couldn't locate it anywhere!

legolas.

Ch@0s

In the zone
Imo 2-channel audio is best experienced on Audiophile-Headphones...

Headphones are more accurate but speakers are more fun, they image far better, have the in your gut bass impact. Its a tradeoff... the best is to have both :D.

The M-Audio Studiopros are available in india.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Headphones are more accurate but speakers are more fun, they image far better, have the in your gut bass impact. Its a tradeoff... the best is to have both :D.

The M-Audio Studiopros are available in india.
Yup . but The Best Music Experience is on Headphones as far as i have experienced .

Unless you're in a theatre ofcourse ;)

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
To me, the best in sound is to be had by 2.1 speakers. Unless the bass is sub-woofer is over-utilized.

Headphones are truer to the original sound, but the fact that speakers provide a more airy experience [i.e. distance of sound from ear] it sounds better.

Stuge

Youngling
BOSE is supposedly (i dont know technical differences) the best!!

NO ,Man Bose is not the best ,Beyerdynamics ,AKG,Sennheiser etc are much better than Bose .QC2 which costs Rs 16000 has all bass and no mids and highs and Too muddy for me .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom