Help with using Ubuntu 7.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
@gx

at first place u shud've told as to what u wanna do. if u wanted to run media files out of the box, wanted some proprietory drivers etc... widout the hassles of installing anything, then u made a wrong choice of distro!

as a home user, if u just wanted to get things done then there are more user friendly (for windows users) distros like this one:

Freespire
*freespire.org/

(use the regular version not the oss version)

freespire supports these out of the box:
Microsoft Windows Media Technology
Quicktime 7 Software
mp3 Software Decoder
RealPlayer Software
Sun Java 2 Platform Standard Edition Runtime Environment 5.0
Macromedia Flash Plug-In
Bitstream Fonts
Gizmo Project
Agere Systems Modem Drivers
ATI Technologies Linux Driver
Conexant/Linuxant HCF PCI Modem Driver
Conexant HSF Modem Driver
Intel Modem Drivers
QEMU Accelerator Module (aka kqemu)
Lucent linmodem driver
MADWIFI Wireless Drivers
NVIDIA Accelerated Video Drivers
PCTEL Modem Driver
Ralink Wireless Driver
SmartLink Modem Driver

do try it out and then report back... i doubt if u'll feel the same thing for "home" users after trying it out.

ubuntu doesn't bundle these packages simply coz its against the license. so u had to install a lot of things.... and had difficulty installing it. vaguely comparing ur deed... its like installing Windows 2000 Server and telling that most of the games do not run!!!

there are distros like gentoo which are completely customisable... if u haf a look at those, then u'll feel ubuntu gives more stuff out of the box. its just a matter of choice and requirement. if ubuntu doesn't fit in, then try something else. there's no dearth of linux distros. theres one for everyone!!! :)

ps: freespire is based on debian. so its much like ubuntu..... :) tho ubuntu is ubuntu!!! but nevertheless freespire will serve ur purpose. it can even be run as a live cd. so do boot from it in a regular way (not vmware) and give it a try.

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
.@ infra_Red_dude

ok, I will try freespire too. .deb packages should work on it I guess.

@ Mehul

Chill man, I just tried an OS & didn't liked it. This is the whole essence, thats it. Is it required for me to like it if u also like it?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I would surely recommend sabayon over freespire anyday.
From what I've heard and seen I doubt if linspire people even work with the community. And their approach to Linux just doesn't feel right as a user, to me.
Sabayon is a quick and easy way to get started with gentoo. And it's not as difficult as you'd believe from the gentoo hype but it requires you to understand a couple of new things.
You only need to understand most of the other things if you gonna do a lot of customisations.
And with binpackages coming soon, the hassle of compiling will be done away with till a huge extent.
And sabayon includes lots of proprietory drivers and codecs out of the box. It also includes some nifty scripts and tools to get started with beryl quite easily.

mehulved

gx_saurav said:
@ Mehul

Chill man, I just tried an OS & didn't liked it. This is the whole essence, thats it. Is it required for me to like it if u also like it?
I am telling everyone to stop fighting. It's not directed at you only.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
if u want out of the box eye candy you can even try dreamlinux. it is based on debian too.

*www.dreamlinux.com.br/english/download.html

check out the screenshots. its based on XFCE desktop, so is less less resource hugry than kde or gnome. but it doesn't compromise on eye candy!!!

the reason why i did not recommend sabayon is that, it doesn't support any installation package. u'll hafta obtain the source tarball and compile it. since u are predominantly a windows user and wudn't wanna go thru this i didn't suggest u sabayon. otherwise its a great distro!

mehulved

No you don't have to get the source tarball and compile it on your own. You just have to give emerge command it will download the tarball from gentoo's mirror and compile it for you. And for sissies afraid of a simple CLI command, there's a good GUI frontend in portato.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
actually i'm myselft keen on trying gentoo and gentoo based distros..... i'll soon do it... since i've downloaded sabayon 3.3.. was waiting for stabe 3.4.. but its ok... i'll give it a try...

freebird

Debian Rocks!
Me too waiting for sabayon-3.4 although loop1 torrents available.with v3.4,they includes openchrome support for my sucing Via UnichromePro video card

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
tried dreamlinux... its a cool distro based on debian. very light on resources but doesn't compromise on eye candy! is a mac clone. icons are beautiful, so is the dock. the effects are cool... plus most of the apps are bundled: openoffice, firefox 1.5, xmms, gimp and other standard stuff which u mite need.

guys, give the live cd a shot.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom