Help with using Ubuntu 7.04

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Re: Ubuntu from scratch

you do not haf any menu entries for vmware tools. it installs the vmware svga driver, ethernet drivers, mouse drivers etc.

did u check out the documentation thing? it wud be usually /usr/share/docs/vmwaretools or something like that. it mite be of some help.

actually even i've installed vmware tools but didn't haf time to check it out (i need to share files b/w ubuntu and windows too!). am on a holiday for a week!!

eddie

El mooooo

Just restart your system and look for a directory under /mnt/hgfs. Your shares should be there.

As far as drag-drop is concerned. Have a look at this page
*www.vmware.com/products/beta/ws/releasenotes_ws60_beta.html
# Cross-Platform Drag-and-Drop Functionality — You can now drag and drop files and directories from a Linux or Windows host to a Linux, Solaris, or Windows guest, and vice versa.
I wonder why it is not working for you.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Yahoo, it worked. After installing VMWare tools I can drag & drop files. 80% problems solved now.

But my cursors are reversed now. U know like they are for left hand person.

praka123

left this forum longback

How:D?
Install a package from synaptic called "galternatives"
run "galternatives" from a terminal

.browse in the left pane for x-cursor-theme.select it and look at right pane and select the right one for U.perhaps the first option:
/etc/X11/core.theme fits.
U may have earlier selected left handers theme(some packages does have)
Hope it fixes.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Oh...k, so I can drag & drop files now which are good enough for file sharing. Atleast something better then nothing.

Now after installing vmware tools & rebooting the VMWare 2 problems are there

1) My cursors are all fliped horizontaly. I haven't touched the cursor pointer orientation thing so far, just installed gcursor & the JaguarX cursor theme.

2) Windows Borders are gone :((((( no more close minimize maximize buttons are showing.

Infra_red_dude

I am a Windows User, whose gonna uses manuals anyway :D

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Looks like i may have to re-install ubuntu again. After installing VMWare tool, System menu-> Preference -> Windows says " Cannot start the preference manager for your Windows manager".

I m going to try to uninstall VMware tools, if i don't get the close minimize buttons back then i may have to reinstall Ubuntu. Good thing it is VM

eddie

El mooooo
Try starting metacity from a terminal window. I am not a GNOME user so can't help you much but we do have lots of them in here...so wait for sometime before you plan a reinstall. Reinstall is a very bad solution in Linux world :)

praka123

left this forum longback
^^ dont know about vmware,but before reinstalling ubuntu,try when in ubuntu this cmd:
press ALT+F2 to get run dialog
enter "metacity --replace" and run.whether it gets back ur window borders etc.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i din face this window border problem when i installed vmware tools. seems to be specific to you. do u remember any other setting that u'd fiddled around wid?

uninstalling vmware tools may prove a bit problematic for ur daily usage. the default vga driver is too slow and the mouse becomes very jerky!

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Too late, i m reinstalling. Deleted the old VM. Good thing drag & drop was working & so was /mnt/hgfs so i backed up previously downloaded things for Linux to Windows. Will reply back here after i have configured it again to where i was.

prakka

alt+f2 was not opening anything after this problem started. I m back to windows now & going to sleep. C Ya tomorrow.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Well, just reinstalled Ubuntu. Must be somethign i screwed last night cos today after installing Ubuntu the first thing i did was to install VMWare tools on it & it is working fine

1) I got my D:\Downlodss folder of Windows showing in Ubuntu as mnt/hgfs/***

2) Drag & drop is also working fine.

So right now, just update & configuring apps like yesterday. Good thing now I can simply copy paste my GAIM & Firefox profile. I also copied some songs & videos just to check. Not instaing VLC this time cos VM has a 16 MB software emulated graphics card which gives pathetic video quality in VLC player. Files should play, thats it. I know I won't get quality & performance cos it is VM.

About updating, well I just opened Synaptic Package Manager & it asked to update the list from net, so i let update. I find this better then manually editing some file. Remember I m trying to refrain from using CLI as much as possible.

I made the root File Browser. But synaptic is saying package cache is curropt :?

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Synaptic Worked after a reboot. Just installed GPass.

I m now trying to configure Firefox. In Windows I have my firefox profiles folder saved on another drive then c:\ & I just start firefox using firefox.exe -profilemanager to chose a new profile & give this folders path. Doing the same in Linux too as trying to configure firefox with proper extensions like adblock etc. Need to remake my profile I guess again.

My keyboard is giving problem. wHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN I type the button acts like it is pressed

OK, now the first reason why Linux is not consumer friendly

1) There is no download manager for Linux which can integrate with FIrefox. If there is tell me plz. I tried aria & d4x. They are next to useless

Last edited:
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Hey guys, pidgin 2 beta 7 is out. How do i Install it? I downloaded the tar.gz file which i guess is source code, now how to install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom