Help me setup a wireless home guys!

ali.en

Broken In
Hi, its been a long long time since I have been here on TDF...Anyway, I want to make my home wireless now and because I don't really know much about it, I would love it if you guys could help me out. What I basically want to do is to be able to share a single internet connection (and maybe even a printer if the router's price is fine). The floor plan for my home is included here and I would like to have wireless internet access in every single room. As can be seen, I do not think a single router would suffice. So please guide me in detail and I am really looking forward to this :)

The floor plan for my home:

*www.imagesup.net/?di=913435785403

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Hi, its been a long long time since I have been here on TDF

After 8 long years! :eek:

You're still wc :)

For your purpose a single router may suffice if its range is good enough. If its not, you can use range extender. Even another router can self made to act as range extender. Here. Almost all router companies produce their own extenders like this.

OP
A

ali.en

Broken In
Thanks for your responses guys. So what is better? Router+Router or Router+Extender? How would each behave with a shared-printer setup through the router itself? Also, any optimal points in the house to place the Router+Router/Router+Extender? (Two spots, one for each as I understand it).

My thoughts were these two spots I have indicated with "A" and "B" in the image below would be good:

*picturestack.com/592/379/uGlHomefloorpcZj.jpg

I feel these two points are good because they are almost in-line-of-sight with each other, due to the lack of door between the Foyer and the Living. Sorry I forgot to indicate that in the first post.

@mods:thanks for putting this in the right section.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Probably you need something like this: Netgear RangeMax Wireless-N Gigabit Router | Router | Flipkart.com

OP
A

ali.en

Broken In
@all: Please refer to post #5 of this thread as it appeared delayed due to moderation (first 10 posts undergo moderation)

@Kev.Ved: Yes, I am looking to buy an 802.11n router :)

@saswat23: That router seems costly. Is there any speciality about that particular one? I could not find anything special by reading through the Flipkart page. Although my budget for this entire setup is 8K and I'm even ready to go a little beyond that, 6K for a single router (with another router or extender still to buy) seems a little too steep, don't you think?(Well unless it is special)

@dashing.sujay: I want to ensure every room has excellent signal at all times. So I want to go for 2 devices and not one. Please see my queries in post #5 of this thread.

Thank you so much to each one of you :) I really need this help.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I don't have hands on experience with extending range, but a bit googling gave me some info:

One thing to know though , the option to add another router to have a wireless bridge won't be doable if your original router doesn't support WDS.

If your router does support N-range (not the draft version) the new router won't boost range as much , just the speed with a proximity similar range(the newer will have some expansion granted).

Range boosters are a cheap version (wither the power-based or the wireless based) they will boost the range given the router having N band.

If however your router doesn't support N band (say G) then a good solid N router will do a better job.

Source

WDS = Wireless Distribution System (required for wireless bridging)

Wi-Fi Booster Review 2012 | Best Wi-Fi Range Extenders | Wireless Repeaters - TopTenREVIEWS

Bottomline is, I suggest you to buy a good range N router and install it. If it doesn't works, buy a compatible repeater/extender. :)

OP
A

ali.en

Broken In
Thank you, Sujay. I am going through the discussion there. Also, is it better to go in for a dual band 2.4GHz/5GHz router than just a 2.4? What kind of devices will need 5GHz? And I think an extender(if required) would also need to be dual band compatible if I do choose to go with a dual band router. Am I right?

Edit: Okay, so I read a little about the 2.4GHz/5GHz and it seems like a dual band would be future proof (to an extent, after all its tech). You guys think it is worth the extra cost?

Last edited:

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Buy a tp link 300 mbps router. That will be the main router and will be connected to the modem. Then buy any cheap 150 mbps router that supports WDS. I know almost all tp link ones support it.

PS: dunno if a 150mbps router in wireless bridge mode with a 300 mbps one will make the whole network slow. Someone please clear this.

Top Bottom