Help me run Gutsy Gibbon in my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
To cut a very long story short.... I want to install Gusty Gibbon or other distro suitable for my system and my usage.

A big thanks to The_Devil_Himself, infra_red_dude & NucleusKore in the USB 2.0 thread. They know the condition and deep sh*t my PC is in. :D

The long version of the story....

My PC config:

- over 8 years old
- 800 mhz p3 proccy
- 128 mb RAM
- 20 GB (effectively 18-19 gb only)
- can't boot from USB device
- optical drive is not working, atleast DVD won't read. I was told that the CD works without any issues.
- WD HDD won't work

My needs and usage

- Will use it to download things. Heavy P2P user. Don't want to keep my MBP 24/7.
- Limited software usage, basic things like word, pdf reader, browser will be good. Ocational multimedia use for watching videos, songs etc...

My situation:
- I'm expecting my MacBook Pro (MBP) in my hands shortly. Also I don't want to throw this PC off as it does my job perfectly.

- I hate browsing with my PC. S*cks with 800*600 resolution and general slow operation.

What support I need

1. What iso to download? *releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/ lists many different versions. Alternate install CD mentions "installs on systems with less than about 320MB of RAM". Can anyone point out the direct torrent file of the iso I need? I'll have to d/l it and burn that into a CD and when I pop in the CD to the CD drive, and it'll do the rest right?

2. Will it be faster than XP? There's no point to take this much pain if it's not.

3. What screen resoultion can I expect? XP gives 800*600. Any hope of better resolution? Monitor is a 15" CRT.

4. Ideally I want to have both Linux and XP installed together. First and foremost, I need to make it connected to Dataone. I know there are many guides here, but people honestly it looks so geeky for me. I'm not sure if I can connect to net successfully.

5. Is it worth to switch or better to stay with XP? I'm looking for better speeds and operation only. I don't want to install only for "better OS" and I'm not a fanboy of any OS (atleast till date).

I think it would be a great challenge to get my PC running Gusty Gibbon. Let's see if we can pull it off...

Thanks a lot people in advance to show patience n help me...

Pathik

Google Bot
Wat motherboard do u hav??
and i dont think ubuntu 7.10 ll work good on just 128 mb ram... use a lighter distro or try xubuntu
and agar ubuntu hi try karna hai to u ll need this
*releases.ubuntu.com/releases/7.10/ubuntu-7.10-alternate-i386.iso.torrent

praka123

left this forum longback
try Xubuntu or even better mepis -antix mepis on the system.gutsy sure needs a better system.Gnome or Kde wants more resources.while Xubuntu(xfce) or better antix mepis serves the purpose perfectly.u can use it easily with fluxbox or xfce wm's.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^+1 grudgy get xubuntu it is light on resources.

2. Will it be faster than XP? There's no point to take this much pain if it's not.
definitely man.You can configure it to run faster than XP.

3. What screen resoultion can I expect? XP gives 800*600. Any hope of better resolution? Monitor is a 15" CRT.
That depends upon how much resolution your monitor supports dude.

I need to make it connected to Dataone. I know there are many guides here, but people honestly it looks so geeky for me. I'm not sure if I can connect to net successfully.
Dude dunno about datatone but my MYNL broadband works out of box on linux.no problem what so ever.

praka123

left this forum longback
dataone connection is possible only if ur system have a lan card.as rp-pppoe is used in linux.while usb support is not available and if available also not stable.u can get a realtek lan card model for rs200 :D
dont buy intex cheap cards.they are problematic and fake realtek chips made buy silan electronics.linux may face problem running it.

adi87

Journeyman
drgrudge said:
4. Ideally I want to have both Linux and XP installed together. First and foremost, I need to make it connected to Dataone. I know there are many guides here, but people honestly it looks so geeky for me. I'm not sure if I can connect to net successfully.

Go here... u will get as simple as (2+2=4) solution...

*havingblues.wordpress.com/2007/10/22/broadband-configuration-in-ubuntu/

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

Didn't knew that Xubuntu was built for old or low-end machines. Perfect. :D

Also can I leech Xubuntu and then try it out, before using installing it?

The Minimum system requirements says "you need 128 MB RAM to run or 192 MB RAM to install. The Alternate Install CD only requires you to have 64 MB RAM." Unlike Ubuntu, I couldn't see any alternate CD version of it? Will there any issues?

praka123 -
Too geeky post man. I'm a windows user trying to switch, you're scaring me by using:"fluxbox", "xfce wm's". Please no geek words like that. :p

MEPIS Linux is this on naa: *www.mepis.org/node/68
I'll leech that one as well and see how it performs.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
alternate cds are for direct installing and live cds are for 'try before you install'.

I don't thing there will be any problem with Xubuntu live cd(I have tried a lot of distros in Virtual box alloting them just 128mb RAM) but You don't have any optical drive.or you have now?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
drgrudge said:
What support I need

1. What iso to download? *releases.ubuntu.com/7.10/ lists many different versions. Alternate install CD mentions "installs on systems with less than about 320MB of RAM". Can anyone point out the direct torrent file of the iso I need? I'll have to d/l it and burn that into a CD and when I pop in the CD to the CD drive, and it'll do the rest right?
It'll be way better if you use the Xubuntu "Dapper Drake" 6.06 instead of Gutsy Gibbon and other releases since they are old and lighter and also they are under LTS till 2009 (Fresh and supported updates till 2009).

You can download Xubuntu Dapper edition torrent for i386 here:
*cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/dapper/release/xubuntu-6.06-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

I hope its still seeded well enough ...
drgrudge said:
Can't really say anything on that. Anything would be slow on 128 MB RAM these days. But XFCE is pretty light and must run 98% lagless on 128 MB RAM.
drgrudge said:
I think you could go up to 1024x768 but it all depends on your onboard video capability.
drgrudge said:
Do you connect to Dataone the Router ON/OFF way and through the LAN-Port? If so, you don't even have to configure anything, it'll work out of the box. Else we could help you, but just confirm whether its using LAN-Port or USB. If its USB, you'd need to shift to the Ethernet/LAN-Port ...
drgrudge said:
5. Is it worth to switch or better to stay with XP? I'm looking for better speeds and operation only. I don't want to install only for "better OS" and I'm not a fanboy of any OS (atleast till date).
You got to feel it yourself man, but I do think it'll be faster than XP.

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

praka123 -
My PC didn't have that. I purchased the LAN Card sometime back. Not sure abt the company. It worked like a charm in my XP till date for almost 2-3 years. Not need for drivers and things like that?

adi87 -
Thanks for that... will refer that to configure Dataone.

Amazing response people! Thanks a lot!!

Guys, can anyone tell me if I can partition the HDD so that initally I'll have Linux n XP.

The_Devil_Himself -
The optical drive should work without any issues atleast to read CDs. That's what my cousin said me. Only DVDs are not read. I've 2 optical drives - one DVD rom and one CD rom. It's not connected to the mobo, but I guess it should work without any issues for CDs.

I got exams tomorrow, so don't want to spend time on hardware things. Meanwhile, I'll leech Xubuntu. I'll take my HDD to my cousin's PC and get the CD burned there.

From what you said I need an Alternate CD naa?

QwertyManiac -
Xubuntu Dapper? I wanna get involved in the hype of Gutsy Gibbon. :d I'll first install that and see how it's performing.

I got a LAN card. Not using the USB thing. So it'll work out of the box?

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yes it'll work out of the box provided you use the router method as I already mentioned. I think all UL users use only that though :p

praka123

left this forum longback
Lan cards 99% are detected and autoconfigured in Debian derivatives like (X)Ubuntu,antix etc.u must need lan card if u want to use dataone :oops: haha!but u can enjoy like me downloading torrents at max speed via azureus or deluge or ktorrent clients without fearing viruses and the other cr@ps in windows. :) i got my machine scheduled to d/l via torrent client from 2.03AM to 7.58AM Night unlimited while am asleep and switched off monitor ;)

also in Linux,bridged mode router configuration must be better.ie,u have to dial from linux.u can open random port from linux iptables FW and will get maximum speeds this way.i have not much idea on torrents getting good speed with router inbuilt pppoe dialer ofcourse u need to tinker with its setting s to enable virtual server blah... refer *portforward.com helps.
again I suggests Antix Mepis first or Xubuntu -both are based on debian so no confusion.OKngala?

Rahim

Married!
You can use Ethernet to connect to Dataone Broadband. Here are the steps: Believe me its not scary, its quite simple.
1 You install Ubuntu or XUbuntu as you desire.
2. Run Terminal by going to Applications>Accessories>Terminal.
3. Keep your modem on while doing these.
4. In the Terminal type
Code:
sudo pppoeconf
5.A new blue window will pop inside The Terminal.
6.It will detect your Ethernet as eth0. Just press enter.
7 It will ask for your Dataone login ID. Enter
Code:
yourusername@dataone
. Notice it does not contain ".in".
8 Next page will ask for your Dataone password. Quite simple enter your password.
9 Press enter again and then again till the page ask for "Do you want to connect on Boot Up". Select "No" and press Enter again.
10 It will ask you "Do you want to connect now". You can choose Yes and you will be connected to the internet. Otherwise choose No and thw window will close.

Now to connect to Internet just type this in The Terminal
Code:
pon dsl-provider
To disconnect type this in the Terminal
Code:
poff dsl-provider

I know the post is quite big but if you follow it ,its quite easy.
Best of Luck.
PS:These instructions are for Ubuntu and its variants.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
IMO download xubuntu live cd iso burn it on a cd......connect the optical drive to your pc.....let it boot from live cd........it will take some time(owing to your paltry 128mb RAM).....Try it.....install it.

Guys, can anyone tell me if I can partition the HDD so that initally I'll have Linux n XP.
tell us how many partitions you have and xp is installed in wich one of them.

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

praka123 -
In my PC as well my Dell (both XP), I don't have any sh*t like AVs, Anti-spyware, firewall and things like that. :D

Can you please point out where I can leech it (the version and all)? From here: *antix.mepis.org/index.php/Main_Page I see that it's still in Beta stages.

The_Devil_Himself -
So no need of alternate CD to install, right? With the live CD, I can try it out?

I got 4 partitions (for the less than 20 GB HDD :lol:) and XP is installed in C.

rahimveron -
Thanks a lot for the instructions. Definetly will try it and see how it goes about.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
yes.its still in beta.then better try xubuntu.or if u dare try antix.
torrents: *linuxtracker.org
*www.tuxdistro.com/
*linuxtracker.org/torrents-search.php?search=antix
review:
*www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8031025874.html

NucleusKore

TheSaint

A. I do not have a very happy experience with the alternate version of Ubuntu. It was err... alternate. If you want speed download Xubuntu

A. Xubuntu will be faster than XP woth your configuration

3. What screen resolution can I expect? XP gives 800*600. Any hope of better resolution? Monitor is a 15" CRT.
A. If your monitor supports 1024*768 it will give you that resolution BUT refresh rate supported at that resolution may be 60Hz and not 75-85Hz (maybe thats what you are used to). This is a hardware limitation and has nothing to do with the OS.

A. This will help you as if you are not happy you can always throw out the linux distro and try another. As Ubuntu or Xubuntu are live cds so no problem, you can try and boot from it. Please note that the speed of launching apps from a live cd is much less than from a hard disk install, so be patient.

Download from *torrent.ubuntu.com:6969/
For Xubuntu download xubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso
For Ubuntu download ubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
drgrudge said:
The_Devil_Himself -
So no need of alternate CD to install, right? With the live CD, I can try it out?

I got 4 partitions (for the less than 20 GB HDD :lol:) and XP is installed in C.
Yea I am positive your pc can handle xubuntu live cd.

I feel patitioning is gonna be a lil tough for you.
while partioning you will see:
hd0=means your primary hard disk
sd1=first partition(remember sd1 doesn't mean c: drive)
sd2=second partioning
and so on

format(in windows) all your drives except xp one....then it will be easier for you to recognise xp partition while installing xubuntu......delete all the other partitions except xp one.Now linux needs atleast two partitions to run (1)swap:like pagefile in windows(400-500mb should be more than enough) (2)home partition.

so final partition table shoud be like:
1.xp partition:5gb(or whatever)
2.swap:500mb
3.home:whatever remaining.

praka123

left this forum longback
check below post for dataone,after installation of Xubuntu? or antix:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59380

OP
drgrudge

drgrudge

I've added xubuntu-7.10-desktop-i386.iso torrent. Tomorrow at this time, I do the stuffs. :D

The_Devil_Himself-
So you're asking to format the HDD, before poping in the Xubuntu CD? That is, remove D, E and F and then try installing Xubuntu.

Also how to format HDD in windows? I reffered to this article *www.ehow.com/how_6026_format-hard-drive.html, but my PC showed Disk overlay error.

The iso is 566 MB, you think it 500mb is enough?

praka123 -
So geeky! Anyway thanks for pointing it out. I'll refer that later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom