Help me choose between Dell Inspiron 15R SE vs Samsung 550p

har

In the zone
lol... I agree too that samsung is offering too much at that price, and I'll get that lappy over dell anytime, provided it is not giving any problems. Cant just close eyes when its giving throttling issues.

@ Har, it may be a a little problem for you now, but I'm sure if you were out in market to buy and had known this problem, you'd definitely wana wait. Thats what I'm doing. I'd rather want it gets solved otherwise I dont wana lose that 900p screen myself. I dont really care about the GPU. Can work with 640M than 650M, but only if I get that screen and good battery backup.

I knew abt the throttling issue before I bought :-D Call me crazy but I was ready to be the guinea pig. And so far so good. I lowered the res and all games work perfectly too.

^
Hmm if only Dell started offering 1080p screen option for 15R SE in India as well ;)

The price would still be too high :wink:

abhishekmaha

Broken In
I am going to buy the Samsung laptop i7 after a month or two...This throttling issue needs to be resolved...Will the prices rise in the meantime?

Does i7 provide any better performance than i5 here? How many fps increase is expected here?

vipulgreattt

Broken In
It still wont have a gt650m though :p

Yeah I know that.. In case of Sony they'd never offer something like that.. Even if they do, it will cost really high.. But I dont think I'd game on my machine that much.. As lappy's arent really gaming machines.. I just need a portable pc on which I can game sometimes..
On the other hand, looking at the config of Sammy, it would not be wise to just let it go out of hand when its providing such screen and GPU..

And the battery backup you mentioned 5 hours.. thats really cool too.. Seems like an ideal machine :D

har

In the zone
Yeah I know that.. In case of Sony they'd never offer something like that.. Even if they do, it will cost really high.. But I dont think I'd game on my machine that much.. As lappy's arent really gaming machines.. I just need a portable pc on which I can game sometimes..
On the other hand, looking at the config of Sammy, it would not be wise to just let it go out of hand when its providing such screen and GPU..

And the battery backup you mentioned 5 hours.. thats really cool too.. Seems like an ideal machine :D

Yeah the battery is a real high point :-D
The extremely awesome speakers(believe me,they are just tooo good),good battery and very good screen make it the best choice even for non gamers.

aroraanant

Explorer
those who bought it are satisfied, but not dell..
A guy from dell in the shop told me that i7 is introduced in inspiron models only to replace XPS, as the sales were'nt as high as was expected by dell, so from dell's side, it was considered a big failure.. :-(

These sales guys say crap and you guys believe them!!!

Apart from that Sony C series and S series is good but E series is just OK.
But I have heard a lot of negative things about Sony ASS

OP
K

krish440

Right off the assembly line
Hi Friends Thankyou soo much for all your replies....I Finally bought my new samsung 550p ..it is simply awesome..as i have seen both dell and this one i personally felt samsung had better looks than dell and most importantly samsung's jbl speakers rock :cool:...Backlit keyboard was the only thing that made me think about dell...but when i saw it at the showroom i felt like it is a huge waste as the keyboard of dell was not that comfortable (my personal opinion )...Havent tested it much in gaming ..will post about it soon...one thing i can say now is that i am totally impressed with looks of samsung and mostly The JBL SPEAKERS :cool:

swaroop.b

Broken In
Hi all! I've been following this thread (and a couple of more) since a considerable time and I almost felt like it was a Legendary Story of a Kingdom (NP550P) (har being the hero! :wink:)
I've started a new thread about for advice on buying a laptop. (You may check out)
But since the time I've seen the NP550P on Samsung website, I've fell in love with it!
Just wanted to ask a couple of things: what is the minimum price for which I can expect NP550P? Secondly, I'm absolutely not a gamer. Would you still recommend me this laptop? Is there a version with lower dedicated graphics but otherwise similar specs?
I was initially thinking of buying around 35k-40k.

abhishekmaha

Broken In
^Macbooks are probably your best bet...I don't like OSX so much...But I must agree that they have high screen quality...If not for support of games...But price will also rise high above 59k...:-(:-(....Samsung is cheap and good!!:-D:-D

You may find that 900p is good enough for all your multimedia needs...1080p is overkill==>too much to pay for too little additional quality..
Depends on your needs too-Programming, Video-Editing, Heavy Artillery(Maya or other 3D designing), General entertainment, etc...

Hrishi

^^^Rishi are you the admin of gaming freak server in cs 1.6?

Not Yet. :p btw , may I ask why ?

Hi all! I've been following this thread (and a couple of more) since a considerable time and I almost felt like it was a Legendary Story of a Kingdom (NP550P) (har being the hero! :wink:)
I've started a new thread about for advice on buying a laptop. (You may check out)
But since the time I've seen the NP550P on Samsung website, I've fell in love with it!
Just wanted to ask a couple of things: what is the minimum price for which I can expect NP550P? Secondly, I'm absolutely not a gamer. Would you still recommend me this laptop? Is there a version with lower dedicated graphics but otherwise similar specs?
I was initially thinking of buying around 35k-40k.

There are basically two versions of 550P.
One is with Core I7 and has Blueray Drive , damages around 56-58,000 INR as per current marke prices.
The other one comes with Core I5 and has a price tag hovering around 48-52,000 INR .

You have specified a budget of 35-40K INr , which is almost 10k less than sammy's price tag.
Since , gaming is not your priority , so there are many other options available.

IMO , you should be looking for Intel 3rd Generation Core I5 models if programming and production is your main concern. They come with an advanced IGP , which are superior than SB proccy lineup.They will be able to withstand good processing excepting Gaming. :)

Computability factor will indeed play a very important role in this.

Last edited:

gunner_kanishk

Journeyman
I've just played Max Payne 3 online for 3 straight hours. Not a single second did I pause the game or anything.

AC room, no cooling pad. 1600X900 resolution. Normal settings. (I play online on normal to get better as much fps as possible)

Max CPU temp - 69 degrees.

Throttling? Lolwut. :lol:

Dear Dell fanboys, there are problems with every laptop. Dell has better ASS, and that is it.

In every other category, Samsung is better. Just because some users face throttling doesn't mean all of them do so. Maybe they just aren't using the laptop right?

Likewise some 15R users were reporting BSOD crashes, do you see us claiming that it is an issue with every darn Inspiron?

There is nothing wrong with the cooling system ffs. I've been playing a whole bunch of games just fine on it.

Whichever users are facing the issue, it will be resolved by Nvidia. It is a driver issue, and not a hardware issue. The XPS 15Z, the new rMCB, and the DV-6 with the 650M have been known to have certain cases of this overheating/throttling too.

Just because you didn't make the right choice doesn't mean you have to convince others to buy an inferior product.

Chill out guys. :cool:

I hardly get time to post here since I'm gaming on my laptop all the time? You aren't quite satisfied with yours and hence are on these threads all day? :lol:

josin

In the zone
I've just played Max Payne 3 online for 3 straight hours. Not a single second did I pause the game or anything.

AC room, no cooling pad. 1600X900 resolution. Normal settings. (I play online on normal to get better as much fps as possible)

Max CPU temp - 69 degrees.

Throttling? Lolwut. :lol:

Dear Dell fanboys, there are problems with every laptop. Dell has better ASS, and that is it.

In every other category, Samsung is better. Just because some users face throttling doesn't mean all of them do so. Maybe they just aren't using the laptop right?

Likewise some 15R users were reporting BSOD crashes, do you see us claiming that it is an issue with every darn Inspiron?

There is nothing wrong with the cooling system ffs. I've been playing a
Just because you didn't make the right choice doesn't mean you have to convince others to buy an inferior product.

I hardly get time to post here since I'm gaming on my laptop all the time? You aren't quite satisfied with yours and hence are on these threads all day? :lol:

Oh my God, is this India Vs Pak War or something like that?:lol:

Hrishi

^nope , its Samsung vs Dell fanboys. lolz :)

I think the thread should be closed , as the Op purchased Sammy.

ratul

█████████████████
Hmmmmm that's quite worrying to see 5% wear after just one month of use :-?
All the Inspiron 15/14 SE owners report similar wear levels ?

My 18 month old Vaio battery still is at 0.0% wear level :p

Well, i think i found out that why my lappy is showing 5% wear level in just one month:

New battery showing Higher Wear Level.

Batterycare.net said:
The battery is new but BatteryCare reports a high wear level

Laptop batteries are made by energy cells. In general they are 6 cells, but larger capacity batteries have 8 or 12 cells (or even more). A 6 cell battery has an average of 60000mWh of capacity when it's manufactured, the larger ones have an higher value obviously. The problem is that there are batteries that come factory programmed as being 8 or 12 cells, but in fact they just have 6 cells. So in the designed capacity, these batteries report a value corresponding to the larger batteries, for example 88000mWh, but since the battery only has 6 cells, the current capacity value is 60000mWh, which gives us a wear level of 31.8%. So if the battery is new, there's no reason to worry about. It's just a badly programmed battery.

Top Bottom