Help me choose between Dell Inspiron 15R SE vs Samsung 550p

hpblze

Broken In
pratyush997 - No you are not the only one with a defective sammy . I had 3 issues and changed my laptop twice . First one was 3 white spots on the screen , second laptop - Trackpad acting all weird and getting stuck , third time - high shocks near trackpad area ... Mind you I had/have a Sony Vaio for the past 6 years and had no such issues . Samsung one is great with the specifications , it draws your attention but needs more time to fix its issues. May be the next version will be good with a (hopefully) better screen that has good colors and good viewing angles .
Now that Samsung has spoilt me with its specifications , I am unable to find a good laptop from a known brand that has a nvidia and an i7
Can you guys help me out ...

ratul

█████████████████
which one will u be buying 14r se or 15r se 14 r has a better gpu n is lighter but is a costlier

this has been discussed many times that gpu of 14r & 15r are same, both are ddr3, both produce equal fps on games (mostly higher of 640m just because most games are optimized for nvidia, but that too 2-3fps), so all comes to op's concern for screen size and portability issues..

pratyush997

Inactive
pratyush997 - No you are not the only one with a defective sammy . I had 3 issues and changed my laptop twice . First one was 3 white spots on the screen , second laptop - Trackpad acting all weird and getting stuck , third time - high shocks near trackpad area ... Mind you I had/have a Sony Vaio for the past 6 years and had no such issues . Samsung one is great with the specifications , it draws your attention but needs more time to fix its issues. May be the next version will be good with a (hopefully) better screen that has good colors and good viewing angles .
Now that Samsung has spoilt me with its specifications , I am unable to find a good laptop from a known brand that has a nvidia and an i7
Where were u at?? Lets Continue here
!!!
Check ur PM too!! within 5 mins :p

ratul

█████████████████

we all were/are waiting for HP to release their 650m variant in india for a very long time now, but still no news..
New dv6 6165tx last year i think was launched in sep-oct in india (not sure), so this year too HP may choose the same time to release new models..

saaransh9

Journeyman
this has been discussed many times that gpu of 14r & 15r are same, both are ddr3, both produce equal fps on games (mostly higher of 640m just because most games are optimized for nvidia, but that too 2-3fps), so all comes to op's concern for screen size and portability issues..

so if i go with 15r n save 5 or 6 K will be a better option i think,................

n as u say gpu's are almost same n enduro will improve with time...

RON28

Cyborg Agent
Are you talking about 900p the Sammy has? Dell 15R SE has FHD, i.e. 1080p.

Here is the i5 version.
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Here is the i7 version.
The Dell Online Store: Build Your System
make your facts clearm i5 version cost 48.5k of sammy, and gaming in 1080p with 7730m would be a complete ****, crysis is struggling at 900p on ultra settings. 1080p is better for watching movies and work, but not for gaming at all, if you lower the resolution it would look crap. matte display does have less colours, but its not that bad, have a look at it and then say.

plus the prices are excluding TAXES, playing 10k only for display is not worth, better get the sony laptop with IPS panel.

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Ya.. i'll get the dell..!! samsung users are just justifying their purchase. If given option again, they'll chose the dell too :p

I for one had first hand experience with samsung cc, I returned my i5 version of the np550 for a refund, I got a DD in my hand 10 days later, with the full amount refunded. and you know what I did?? I got the i7 version of the np550...and I'm totally happy with my decision, I haven't faced any throttling issues and the temps reaching above 90c is totally normal while playing demanding games, even the alienware m14x(see link) reaches 94c and above in heavy gaming. Read this review by anandtech, its the 17" version of the np550 but nearly the same spec. It says if there is throttling, a BIOS update could easily fix it, so until then I set the cpu max to 70% and play, with no throttling or fps drops. I feel I shouldn't even have returned the i5 version now, it was hardly an issue. also you can extend warranty for 3 years using smart warranty(with pickup and drop option also), so those who want cc for extended period an opt for that. The only thing the np550 could improve on, according to me is the build quality,(even inspiron 15r se needs to improve), its not as sturdy as the dv6 series of HP or XPS line of dell.

the reason why samsung is priced so low is coz, almost all components are manufactured by them (hdd, screen, dram etc)

h1manshu

Right off the assembly line
I for one had first hand experience with samsung cc, I returned my i5 version of the np550 for a refund, I got a DD in my hand 10 days later, with the full amount refunded. and you know what I did?? I got the i7 version of the np550...and I'm totally happy with my decision, I haven't faced any throttling issues and the temps reaching above 90c is totally normal while playing demanding games, even the alienware m14x(see link) reaches 94c and above in heavy gaming. Read this review by anandtech, its the 17" version of the np550 but nearly the same spec. It says if there is throttling, a BIOS update could easily fix it, so until then I set the cpu max to 70% and play, with no throttling or fps drops. I feel I shouldn't even have returned the i5 version now, it was hardly an issue. also you can extend warranty for 3 years using smart warranty(with pickup and drop option also), so those who want cc for extended period an opt for that. The only thing the np550 could improve on, according to me is the build quality,(even inspiron 15r se needs to improve), its not as sturdy as the dv6 series of HP or XPS line of dell.

the reason why samsung is priced so low is coz, almost all components are manufactured by them (hdd, screen, dram etc)

Nice.! but I dont want to spend 50k and then wait for any bios update to get some probems fixed.!

dan4u

Took Off!!!
^ well that's upto you, everyone has their preference, and btw bios updates have started rolling out, its already there in the 17" model....

SlayerAndy

Broken In
make your facts clearm i5 version cost 48.5k of sammy, and gaming in 1080p with 7730m would be a complete ****, crysis is struggling at 900p on ultra settings. 1080p is better for watching movies and work, but not for gaming at all, if you lower the resolution it would look crap. matte display does have less colours, but its not that bad, have a look at it and then say.

plus the prices are excluding TAXES, playing 10k only for display is not worth, better get the sony laptop with IPS panel.

You can forget the taxes, if you buy on the streets. And even if online, people try to get some or the other discounts offered by dell. And, as I mentioned earlier, there won't be a LOT(noticeable, yeah, but not alot) of difference in the performance, because GT 650M is the DDR3 one in sammy, not the realy GDDR5 performer.

RON28

Cyborg Agent
You can forget the taxes, if you buy on the streets. And even if online, people try to get some or the other discounts offered by dell. And, as I mentioned earlier, there won't be a LOT(noticeable, yeah, but not alot) of difference in the performance, because GT 650M is the DDR3 one in sammy, not the realy GDDR5 performer.

check the rankings on notebookcheck and then say. mind you there is DDR3 version of GT650m(class 1) , forget 7730m(class 2)...only 7770m comes close to it. 768p has become really old according to me. 900p should become mainstream which sammy started. and instead of just commenting, why don't you get DELL lappy at "street" price and help people by posting benchmarks and screenshots game. even at street price Dell won't come down till 48K. Mark my words.

Last edited:

rider

as Kratos
768p is mainstream for 15.6" because it has exact 100 PPI and in ratio 16:9
And sammy doesn't started the 900p, all 15.4" macbook pros, hp probooks are coming with 900p resolution from years.
For an entertainment high end laptop the games should be only run smoothly and properly on normal HD resolution.

RON28

Cyborg Agent
^^^but i don't think 7730M will perform great on Full HD screen, here is the proof
Crysis2 on DELL Inspiron 15R (7520) [FRAPS] - YouTube

look at the settings that guy is playing CRYSIS 2 (console port) on gamer settings (low) at 25-35 fps. and i played on hardcore (ultra) settings at 900p with 30 fps.

with this scenario, i doubt it won't be able to play MAX PAYNE 3 on low settings, and if we scale down the resolution, it will look crap. forget about future games. 1080P is only for multimedia purpose and work related. not gaming at all.

rider

as Kratos
^^^but i don't think 7730M will perform great on Full HD screen, here is the proof
Crysis2 on DELL Inspiron 15R (7520) [FRAPS] - YouTube

look at the settings that guy is playing CRYSIS 2 (console port) on gamer settings (low) at 25-35 fps. and i played on hardcore (ultra) settings at 900p with 30 fps.

with this scenario, i doubt it won't be able to play MAX PAYNE 3 on low settings, and if we scale down the resolution, it will look crap. forget about future games. 1080P is only for multimedia purpose and work related. not gaming at all.

Read my statement again, I said
For an entertainment high end laptop the games should be only run smoothly and properly on normal HD resolution.
not Full HD.
To play high end games in HD 7730M the user should change the resolution to 1366x768 in graphic settings.

SlayerAndy

Broken In
check the rankings on notebookcheck and then say. mind you there is DDR3 version of GT650m(class 1) , forget 7730m(class 2)...only 7770m comes close to it. 768p has become really old according to me. 900p should become mainstream which sammy started. and instead of just commenting, why don't you get DELL lappy at "street" price and help people by posting benchmarks and screenshots game. even at street price Dell won't come down till 48K. Mark my words.

I already have Dell 17R SE. Know what Dell provides. Anyway, you win. But if you can for once, don't try to justify your purchase. Even the upcoming DV6 might be a better option, with there being notable defective pieces of 550p here on TDF forums, let alone everywhere.

ratul

█████████████████
^^Com'on dude, I think there are only 2-3 owner w/ defective lappy inc. me!

i still don't understand why you say you have defective lappy??? :shock:
People having dead pixels, battery problems, touchpad defects, their lappy can be called defective, but your's is just producing more heat than others, that it, for me, that's not a defect..
you live in rajasthan bro, and i can understand these high temps for u, just think that what defect can you justify by this?? fan not working, or thermal paste dried up??? :p

@RON28, yeah, 650m blows away 7730m, but remember even 650m can't game on 1080p on a game like crysis2, 7730 on low settings, so 650m on medium, that's it..
We can talk of 650m vs 7730m today, but most of us are getting laps for 2-3yrs, and in next 2-3yrs, some games might not even run on both.. :p
I will still recommend DELL to op over samsung, atleast you will have most beautiful movie experience @ 1080p, with 15-30% game deprovement, but you can have satisfaction of not worrying of temps, watching and lowering settings as temps rise, or limiting processor to 70% or 50%, you can just install windows and forget, having a peace of mind.. :cool::-D
And remember of this, many users have warned including me, that high temps of sammy might not produce problems now, but these high temps means lowering the life of mobo and other internal components..

@dan4u, i think bro it's not good to compare alienware's temps with sammy's, they are in higher range, use premium materials to make lappies, that can withstand these temps easily, that's why they are called gaming laps.. :)
These inspiron, 550p use components for multimedia purpose, they are not made to handle these temps for very long, the material used is the main reason why gaming laps are mostly >₹1lacs...

Last edited:
Top Bottom