Help me choose between Dell Inspiron 15R SE vs Samsung 550p

dan4u

Took Off!!!
@dan4u, i think bro it's not good to compare alienware's temps with sammy's, they are in higher range, use premium materials to make lappies, that can withstand these temps easily, that's why they are called gaming laps.. :)
These inspiron, 550p use components for multimedia purpose, they are not made to handle these temps for very long, the material used is the main reason why gaming laps are mostly >₹1lacs...

yea but if an alienware reaches 94c you can't expect sammy/inspiron not to. also alienware has really good built quality, but the internals(heat sink) are pretty much the same in most laptops......

pratyush997

Inactive
i still don't understand why you say you have defective lappy??? :shock:
People having dead pixels, battery problems, touchpad defects, their lappy can be called defective, but your's is just producing more heat than others, that it, for me, that's not a defect..
you live in rajasthan bro, and i can understand these high temps for u, just think that what defect can you justify by this?? fan not working, or thermal paste dried up??? :p
Do u think 101C ain't serious?? 105C is max for IB in Lappies.... ???:|

ratul

█████████████████
Do u think 101C ain't serious?? 105C is max for IB in Lappies.... ???:|

it is serious, but still my mind says that surroundings do matter (rajasthan is really a hot place)...
I saw the temps of a user in US of 15r se in some forum, his idle temps were idling b/w 35-40c, just bcoz of the cold weather their, so that could also be a factor dude... Defect might have been if your idle temps too reach 60-70...

savvy

Broken In
Well guys, give me one straight answer... Which has better screen (i DON'T mean better resolution) ???:p I am buying my laptop just for casual,multimedia experience & occasionally will play some game (FIFA, NFS ;: NOT BF3, MP3)... SAMMY & FHD version of Inspiron - both has MATTE screen :-x Which make me think... I personally experienced GLOSSY display & quite happy with it.... Now not sure how bad the colour, contrast of matte screen is... :-D I have also plan to buy i5 version Inspiron with gloosy screen if the viewing experience of matte is that bad... I have already waited for one and half months & seems this waiting became fruiteless( throttling issue of sammy nt fixed permanently yet & dell dumped me by giving fhd matte screen).... i can wait another one month but seeing the result, nt in a mood to do that.... after all, i can't wait my whole life for a laptop!!!! Now SCREEN being the deal breaker for me, what do you suggest... Should i go for matte screen (sammy or dell fhd ???) or inferior i5 with glossy ???
NOTE : My budget is 60000 & any other sughestion will be appreciated...:razz:

Well guys, give me one straight answer... Which has better screen (i DON'T mean better resolution) ???:p I am buying my laptop just for casual,multimedia experience & occasionally will play some game (FIFA, NFS ;: NOT BF3, MP3)... SAMMY & FHD version of Inspiron - both has MATTE screen :-x Which make me think... I personally experienced GLOSSY display & quite happy with it.... Now not sure how bad the colour, contrast of matte screen is... :-D I have also plan to buy i5 version Inspiron with gloosy screen if the viewing experience of matte is that bad... I have already waited for one and half months & seems this waiting became fruiteless( throttling issue of sammy nt fixed permanently yet & dell dumped me by giving fhd matte screen).... i can wait another one month but seeing the result, nt in a mood to do that.... after all, i can't wait my whole life for a laptop!!!! Now SCREEN being the deal breaker for me, what do you suggest... Should i go for matte screen (sammy or dell fhd ???) or inferior i5 with glossy ???

Guys plz suggest me.... I also found on dell website that i5 version with FHD option is without dedicated graphics card... is it true
???

dan4u

Took Off!!!

Guys plz suggest me.... I also found on dell website that i5 version with FHD option is without dedicated graphics card... is it true
???

If you're really concerned about the screen I'd recommend you look at some model's from sony (fhd & glossy), between sammy and dell, I recommend the fhd Dell, and yes Matte screens will reduce contrast by 10-15%, but a fhd or hd+ is any day better than 720p glossy, regardless of the screen type.

savvy

Broken In
If you're really concerned about the screen I'd recommend you look at some model's from sony (fhd & glossy), between sammy and dell, I recommend the fhd Dell, and yes Matte screens will reduce con trast by 10-15%, but a fhd or hd+ is any day better than 720p glossy, regardless of the screen type.

Thank you for your reply.... I really don't want to leave samsung :-x Just one silly question : if i increase the contrast in the media player settings while watching movies, will it feel near to glossy ??? :p (As you said, it's only 10-15%...)
And what about other question ... Dell website says that 15R SE with FHD comes without dedicated graphics card ... How that can be ??? :shock:

dan4u

Took Off!!!
Thank you for your reply.... I really don't want to leave samsung :-x Just one silly question : if i increase the contrast in the media player settings while watching movies, will it feel near to glossy ??? :p (As you said, it's only 10-15%...)
And what about other question ... Dell website says that 15R SE with FHD comes without dedicated graphics card ... How that can be ??? :shock:

I personally don't see a lot of difference between glossy and matte, my last two hp laptops were 720p glossy, compared to them the samsung is really bright (300 nits) and easier on the eyes, idk if tweaking media player settings will make a difference, haven't tried that...........and No, all Dell 15r se comes with the AMD Radeon™ HD 7730M 2GB, here look at this

RON28

Cyborg Agent

???

only a matte screen has made you wait so long despite having a 60K budget...you really look worried about quality rather than quantity...i guess the best laptop would be SONY VAIO E SERIES.
why i have suggested you the above laptop is because it has glossy screen with 900P display on 14inch...its like 1080p on 15.6 (google DPI if you don't believe) and Full HD screen with IPS panel in SONY will cost really heavy on your pockets.

only drawback is it has is 2nd Gen I5 processor. but trust me it has killer looks.

Last edited:

savvy

Broken In
I personally don't see a lot of difference between glossy and matte, my last two hp laptops were 720p glossy, compared to them the samsung is really bright (300 nits) and easier on the eyes, idk if tweaking media player settings will make a difference, haven't tried that...........and No, all Dell 15r se comes with the AMD Radeon™ HD 7730M 2GB, here look at this

Yeah, i also read that ... But after the model name & initial four features, the term "with dedicated graphics card" is written in the third line for 1st & 4th model (above the rating star).....blank for 2nd, 3rd,5th & 6th model.... Wondering what does that really mean ....

rider

as Kratos

???

If you care about screen that much, buy screen separately, i mean good quality of screens are available on ebay store or laptopscreen.com that would be easily replaceable with the default one, many people do this. The only issue the warranty may void.
But if you are not interested as per your requirement best you can get is dell inspiron 15R core-i5, 1080p screen model for around 56k included taxes with accidental cover warranty.

Last edited:

savvy

Broken In
only a matte screen has made you wait so long despite having a 60K budget...you really look worried about quality rather than quantity...i guess the best laptop would be SONY VAIO E SERIES.
why i have suggested you the above laptop is because it has glossy screen with 900P display on 14inch...its like 1080p on 15.6 (google DPI if you don't believe) and Full HD screen with IPS panel in SONY will cost really heavy on your pockets.

only drawback is it has is 2nd Gen I5 processor. but trust me it has killer looks.

Thnx for your reply..... I really like the display of vaio ... But guess what ? Samsung has made us greedy & we compare every laptop with sammy... And may be you are right . I may be too much worried about screen. But i can't help it , this would be my first laptop...

If you care about screen that much, buy screen separately, i mean good quality of screens are available on ebay store or laptopscreen.com that would be easily replaceable with the default one, many people do this. The only issue the warranty may void.
But if you are not interested as per your requirement best you can get is dell inspiron 15R core-i5, 1080p screen model for around 56k included taxes with accidental cover warranty.

I set aside Inspiron with FHD thinking that if i can't fix sammy then i will get this ... (what about my question regarding graphics in 2-3 posts earlier ? i think some model has integrated AMD graphics including FHD version)...
Now coming to sammy, i think it will be best for me to get the i7 sammy & getting changed the screen if i don't like the screen... can u tell me the exact procedure abt hw 2 change the screen & price of a good screen ??? and will the throttling issue be solved or we hv 2 play using some temporary solution untill sammy get screwed....one of the reason why i waited so long is to see if the throttling get solved....
Sorry for such a long post...!!

I was also confused between these two laptops, however after seeing this thread i have decided to go for the Samsung NP550P5C-S02IN, however can someone enlighten me about the warranty status in india, Is it an onsite warranty or do I have to walk to a store and deposit the laptop there ??

Abhishek Nama

Journeyman
I was also confused between these two laptops, however after seeing this thread i have decided to go for the Samsung NP550P5C-S02IN, however can someone enlighten me about the warranty status in india, Is it an onsite warranty or do I have to walk to a store and deposit the laptop there ??

AFAIK there is no onsite only walk in.

dan4u

Took Off!!!
^ you can get onsite warranty if you buy extended warranty plans, check Samsung smart warranty

eklavya

Right off the assembly line
i vote for Samsung...obviously dude you can check my review @ *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/reviews/162535-review-samsung-np550p5c-s01in.html

Adityaak

I think you should go with Dell FHD inspiron SE this will suite you .
i own 15r SE with FHD screen and its really great experience watching HD movies screen is very nice viewing angles are not bad i would say go with Dell FHD.

dayslleepper

Broken In
Is this war still going on with Samsung & Dell Users ???

Its almost 2-3 months after starting this thread... Hope its the right time to get the results from the users with this 3 months of use.:-?

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
Is this war still going on with Samsung & Dell Users ???

Its almost 2-3 months after starting this thread... Hope its the right time to get the results from the users with this 3 months of use.:-?

The war will never end :). People who have bought the laptop will claim their product to be superior.

The OP has to take a call. If you list the pros and cons of the models, clearly Samsung wins (Note that I'm no Samsung fanboy and have a laptop from neither of these brands). But Dell users will not give up the battle so easily :-D

SlayerAndy

Broken In
The war will never end :). People who have bought the laptop will claim their product to be superior.

The OP has to take a call. If you list the pros and cons of the models, clearly Samsung wins (Note that I'm no Samsung fanboy and have a laptop from neither of these brands). But Dell users will not give up the battle so easily :-D

The samsung wins on paper. But well, as everyone's happy with there purchases, and everyone has different preferences, there really is no use of debate. There is never a competition between performance vs reliability. As I have seen quite a few threads about the problems in samsung, and well, I would be mad to question DELL's reliability.

shriram_jairam

Dell is awesome in terms of battery,usability & durability(once i dropped my laptop in my college but delly survived without any scratches :D)
but I am planning to buy a sammy(dell is too expensive for the same specs) .

Top Bottom