Headphones with good bass. budget 1k +/-200

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Im not at all talking or referring to audiophile Cans here. Secondly Im not generalizing Sonys sound either. You got it all wrong. Next the Philips Fidelio M1 was for reference as to what Philips is doing in the Hi End,as most people think Philips makes Bulbs!
Now, Im talking about the particular Headphone from Sony. Bassy Cans does not necessitate Blurry sound that kills midrange and mutes Hi Frequencies ,that is a trait of a Headphone made the wrong way or a bad headphone.There are Bassy Cans which dosnt sound muffled.Now the Sonys bass is not actual bass,if you hear it properly you will see they have nudged the mid bass to give you that bassy feeling ,which obviously sounds bad and cosmetic. The Philips is more musical it has the right amount of everything. In short it dosnt try and do things it actually cant!

5fusion

Journeyman
^ i take your point. but thats what all the brands do for their bass heavy cans. without that extra mid bass hump, you wont percieve the extra bumpy or thud sound. take the phillips bass series SHL for that matter and you would for sure find it to be even worse than what you described sony as.

Fidelio series of phillips is not a bass oriented series, its more concentrated on fidelity and they are good at it. As you said m1 is a reference can, so the proper comparo with it would be the something like Sony mdr v6,7506,7509,Z1000 which are their reference or neutral champs and are hard to beat. So when you take these, these will fade away those phillips.
now dont tell me mdr7506 is not that great. its been there for over two decades in industry, in studios and still hard to be seen replaced by any.
bass cans should be compared with bass cans, not some reference or neutral ones. if you would compare a reference with an Xtra bass can, definitely you are sure to feel the details to be wanting and the bass response would seem the way you described, i.e. boomy or scattered coz you are comparing it to something which its not meant for.
So thats what my whole point had been, compare the relevant ones.

And once you head to higher in sony, in same XB lineup, like XB900 or X10, you would get the kind of bass response that you wanted or talked about, i.e more natural, tighter, defined bass.
Sony's are absolutely amazing for bass as you can clearly make out difference between sub bass & mid bass. its like a seperate speaker is for sub bass & mid bass and thats why i said more defined.

there are people with different tastes in sound. some people prefer sub bass, some mid bass more. some are treble heads, some want mids.
Sony even have very differently tuned phones in their bass series itself. Take for example iems. i have sony xb90ex and my friend do have xb60ex. Now both are from same Xtra bass series, still sound very different.
xb90ex is pure sub bass fun and the mids and highs stay completely unaffected(the way you were looking for). xb60ex has more of a mid bass, so it does color mids a bit still not much(which some people like). thats y i said sony's are excellent when you consider bass and only bass and that too quality bass. And if you move to their reference, things go more better, towards neutral analytical.
hope i made myself clear:rolleyes:

thanks bro.
still not sure what to get headphones or iems. Waiting for vsonic vsd1 and gr 02 silver to arrive here.
If h/p then ath sj series only.

If you serious on fiio x3 then would have to act fast as very limited stock arrived @ 16200 only.
Vsd1s seems promising, i may get one once they are available on hifinage :wink:
I dont think i would be able to get x3:-( but i want one:cryeyesout:. may be next batch or so. there's still so much to go for its UI.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
I wonder how you call the MDR Z1000 to be neutral?! They are one of the most coloured Cans ever made by a company as a flagship! The Bass has overhangs which again eats the mids and highs and has loudness which kills the recess and thus transparency of a track.They are good but definitely not neutral. The V6 are legends ,no doubt.All being said ,Im surprised you didnt mention the Sony MDR SA5000,now that was a great open back design!!

OPs thread is "Headphones with Good Bass", hence I feel the Philips are better overall.

Last edited:
OP
B

Bencollins

Broken In
added SHP2000 in the list as well :D

i'm n00b about these music and sound stuff. idk what hi med or low , med bass or anything.

In my n00b terms, i need something that will give excellent bass without muffling other instruments/vocals.

for eg: when i select 'bass booster' in my ipod, everything except heavy sound from drums feels muffled. so i keep it on rock/R & B. which gives best balance and none of those instruments/vocals feels muffled.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
ordered SHP2500 from flipkart :D

thanks guys

Good but you are seriously overpaying,that Headphone is best bought within Rs 650,if you can, cancel the order and order the Philips SBCHP400 Headphone - Philips: Flipkart.com,/SHL3000 thats more worth the Rs800.

Check the links,could be had for less.

*www.shopmania.in/headphones/p-philips-shp2500-3326138
*www.saholic.com/mobile-accessories/philips-headphone-shp2500-97-1004411
*www.snapdeal.com/product/PhilipsCor/60174;jsessionid=BB7E6D157252C0835903CAC475363EEA.snapdeal

Last edited:
OP
B

Bencollins

Broken In
Good but you are seriously overpaying,that Headphone is best bought within Rs 650,if you can, cancel the order and order the Philips SBCHP400 Headphone - Philips: Flipkart.com,/SHL3000 thats more worth the Rs800.

Check the links,could be had for less.

Philips SHP2500 prices, Shopping comparison for Philips SHP 2500, Buy online in India - ShopMania
Philips Headphone Price in India | SHP2500/97 Specifications, Features and Reviews
Philips Corded TV/ Audio Headphone SHP2500 - Buy Online @ Rs.649/- | Snapdeal

I can't. If i cancel my order, i'd have to wait 10-12 days for a refund. that means i'd have to wait for another 15 days to get my headphones. :(

meanwhile i'm also considering about upgrading from my ES18 to better IEM [i'm basshead]. max budget 1.4k

how's sennheiser CX180 street II its selling for 1.3k and offers 2 years warranty.

does it worth buying considering i am happy with ES18.

please don't suggest soundmagic or techfusion twinwoofer.

Last edited:

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Note: But that does not mean in anyway that the SHP2500 is bad Headphone,not at all.Its very very good,its just that you are overpaying.

ES18 is superb stick to it. I feels Senns are over rated some of themm highly over rated just like Bose.An upgrade would be a PL21.

har

In the zone
Sorry to jump in but what is the best headphones under 1k(cant go higher) ?

I really dunno anything when it comes to headphones so need advice.
Artists I listen to : Imagine Dragons, Ellie Goulding, etc
Mostly pop.

And does over ear offer substantial improvement in quality over inear headphones ?
I would prefer in-ear as it would be more portable. But if quality if betetr I would be ok with over the head too.

har

In the zone
Are these the ones ?
SHP2500
SBCHP400

Philips SBCHP400 Headphone - Philips: Flipkart.com
Philips SHP2500 Headphone - Philips: Flipkart.com

Which would be betetr of the two above ?

PS. Would it be worth it to stretch my budget to 1.6k for a Sony MDR-XB400 ??

Last edited:
OP
B

Bencollins

Broken In
Note: But that does not mean in anyway that the SHP2500 is bad Headphone,not at all.Its very very good,its just that you are overpaying.

ES18 is superb stick to it. I feels Senns are over rated some of themm highly over rated just like Bose.An upgrade would be a PL21.

any other options if i increase my budget to 1.7k?

how's Sony MDR-XB30EX Extra-Bass IEM ?? flipkart users report its awesome for bass lovers.

*www.flipkart.com/sony-mdr-xb30ex-e...TMDMDS3JSYC9MDJ?pid=ACCDFJ7UT2MZF8GG&start=10

Last edited:

har

In the zone
I've come down to these 4. Please suggest :)

Sony MDR-XB400 Headphones - Sony: Flipkart.com

Audio Technica ATH T200 - Audio Technica: Flipkart.com

JBL Tempo On Ear Headphone - JBL: Flipkart.com

Sennheiser HD 201 Headphone - Sennheiser: Flipkart.com

This may sound stupid but will these work well on my Lumia 520 ?

Last edited:

5fusion

Journeyman
any other options if i increase my budget to 1.7k?

how's Sony MDR-XB30EX Extra-Bass IEM ?? flipkart users report its awesome for bass lovers.

Reviews Sony MDR-XB30EX Extra-Bass Stereo Headphone Headphone - Latest Review of Sony MDR-XB30EX Extra-Bass Stereo Headphone, India | Page No. 2, 11 - 20 | Flipkart.com
xb30 would be really good for bass. why not soundmagic? if you consider that, you can have a look at e10 as well.

I've come down to these 4. Please suggest :)

Sony MDR-XB400 Headphones - Sony: Flipkart.com

Audio Technica ATH T200 - Audio Technica: Flipkart.com

JBL Tempo On Ear Headphone - JBL: Flipkart.com

Sennheiser HD 201 Headphone - Sennheiser: Flipkart.com

This may sound stupid but will these work well on my Lumia 520 ?
All of them are going to work good with your lumia.

>If you want to feel the bass thump with decent fidelity, nothing gets better than xb400. sony is crazy to put in such a good soundstage for a price like that. build is pretty good however i find the headband to be a bit scary.
>T200 if you are looking for decent bass with a more towards neutral sound. build quality is good for price. however you may need to crank up the vol on your mobile a little more than the rest.
>Leave the Senns unless that good 2 yrs warranty is the only thing you want. you can listen to them at any good stores like croma, reliance digital. they are generally put up for a demo.
>i find Jbl to be only good at speakers as even their high priced sets arent that satisfactory in sound. even these can be heard in some shops as they are free with some micromax mobile if i am not wrong.

Last edited:

har

In the zone
@5fusion - Thanks a lot !! The sony's sound the best. But I dunno if I am really a bass lover. Still at 1.6k it looks like a steal.
What do you think of the Philips SHL5205BL and SHL5200WT/10 ?
Philips SHL5205BL/10 - CitiScape Headband Headphones
Philips SHL5200WT/10 - CitiScape Headband Headphones

Top Bottom