Headphones with good bass. budget 1k +/-200

Bencollins

Broken In
usage : will be used on a desktop PC all the time for music and occasionally for movies and games

Requirements [if possible in my budget :p ] :

Good bass, good build quality [should last atleast 1.5-2years without developing any problem with wires]

optional : comfort

budget Rs.1000 +/- 200

It SHOULD be available online as local shops are filled with enter, techcom and zebronics cr*p.

Although i take care of my headphones and make sure the wires arn't being twisted/pulled while using. all the headphones i've used so far, had developed problems with their wires/plugs.

i've used the following headphones in last 2 years:

logitech clear chat premium : developed problem with volume controller within 5 months

Logitech H250 : left speaker died after 1.5years

please answer these questions as well:

1. i'm currently using soundmagic ES18 IEM with my PC. is it possible for a headphone to deliver similar bass ? [i'm n00b in audio equipment]

2. Should i buy enter/techcom/other local brand wireless headphones? Considering they lack any wire, they should be more reliable than branded wired headphones?

Last edited:

5fusion

Journeyman
Stay away from local brands as they are below standards in everything.. build, sound.
Take a look at Sony XB400. very portable. got it for 1.6k from flipkart.
its a bit over your budget but absolutely a VFM. build quality is decent and feels plasticy but thats fine as you said you take a good care of your stuffs and you wont get anything with premium feel unless cross 3-4k mark. Good thing is the cables are strong & reliable which you are looking for and are flat, so not gonna tangle up. the strain relief on cans is pretty strong as well. So i guess they should last well.
Out of the box they sound pretty good. bassy phones. real good thumping bass, vocals are good upfront and smooth treble but rolls of a bit early.
If you cant stretch your budget then the phillips ones stated above looks to be good in your budget but cant comment on sound as never got to hear them.

Last edited:

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
my vote for Philips shp series.
first try to search for shp 2700 else settle for shp2500/2000. My shp2500 is going strong even after 3 yrs.

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
I'm using Sennheiser HD 202 ( EOL ) and it still sounds awesome even after 2 years and has a very good bass. You might want to test the headphones before buying.

I'm using Sennheiser HD 202 ( EOL ) and it still sounds awesome even after 2 years and has a very good bass. You might want to test the headphones before buying.

5fusion

Journeyman
how would you put xb400 against AT SJ-33 ?

both are very good bassy(not overpowered) portables and goes deep in lows.
SJ33 has a quick bass response and a good body. clean deep bass. XB400 has a more defined bass with more thump factor. more sub bass fun. Vocals are easy to figure out & upfront on SJ but on XB coz of more bass, sounds a bit distant than SJ but its got a good lushness in it. Treble is definitely more prominent on SJ33 & got more presence. takes a back seat on XB400 & rolls off a bit early & more smoother than SJ.

I find SJ33 to be more balanced but i do like the extra oomph xb400 creates.
If you want more livelier, energetic sound-- SJ33. If you are looking for warm & smooth, fun sounding cans-- XB400
XB is substantially more Comfy coz of very soft pads. Both are fantastic portables for the price. will be comin up with a detailed comparo by next month as xb400 is new & still opening up.

btw bro philips are good buy under 1k.
yeah may be.. i'hv never bought hp below 2k untill i got xb. below 1k is just too basic in audio or rather say nothing when 3-4k is considered to be only decent. sorry m spoilt reading too much on headfi but this audio thingy is crazily addictive:wink:
BTW the pic in your Avatar is the next thing in my wishlist but no funds :cryeyesout:

OP
B

Bencollins

Broken In
after reading some reviews, i don't think i can get any good headphone under 1k :p i've decided to save some money and increase my budget to 2k, will have to wait atleast 1 month before buying new headphone.

i've found these to suit my needs according to your seggestions and my requirements

Sony MDR-XB400
Sennheiser HD 202 II

any other headphones within 2k ? again, my requirements are excellent bass.

ps: i've managed to do a jugaad repair of my current logitech H250 using soldering iron. and hence can wait a little longer to buy new headphones after increasing budget to 2k.

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
thanks bro.
still not sure what to get headphones or iems. Waiting for vsonic vsd1 and gr 02 silver to arrive here.
If h/p then ath sj series only.

If you serious on fiio x3 then would have to act fast as very limited stock arrived @ 16200 only.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Avoid Sony,the bass is not weighted and looses focus when driven even at moderate volumes with some good but not complex recordings.The Bass is not accurate too,it relies on the philosophy of humping the mid bass to provide that tactical feeling which kills the entire frequency band and neutrality. Then the most annoying part is it just focuses on bass which kills the mid range and the top end. which the Philips does not. The Philips is more musical more rounded oveall and very enjoyable across the frequency over the one track minded Sony,which is muffled and not clean and clear in layman terms.If you are in to dubstep and the likes you will probably like em!

When I say Philips understand sound better than Senns and Sonys its for a reason,and here is one of them.......read on.....*www.whathifi.com/review/philips-fidelio-m1

Last edited:

Knight2A4

In the zone
That a very Neat Explanation ........ Nice to read Is there is a way to evaluate the same on other head/earphones ...

Last edited:

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
^^ Play non commercial recordings ,say like some Diana Krall/Sade/Nina Simone ,some Jazz,some well recorded Metal/Rock and check the Headphones if they can live up to them or bring out something that you havnt heard before in the mix!

5fusion

Journeyman
Avoid Sony,the bass is not weighted and looses focus when driven even at moderate volumes with some good but not complex recordings.The Bass is not accurate too,it relies on the philosophy of humping the mid bass to provide that tactical feeling which kills the entire frequency band and neutrality. Then the most annoying part is it just focuses on bass which kills the mid range and the top end. which the Philips does not. The Philips is more musical more rounded oveall and very enjoyable across the frequency over the one track minded Sony,which is muffled and not clean and clear in layman terms.If you are in to dubstep and the likes you will probably like em!

When I say Philips understand sound better than Senns and Sonys its for a reason,and here is one of them.......read on.....Philips Fidelio M1 review from the experts at whathifi.com
mate you got a wrong impression about Sony(no offence). You generalised everything about sony based on a particular series. here we are talking Bassy phones, and thats what Sony XB series is meant for and excellent at that.
If you are looking for a balanced sound that you wanna take out details from recordings, then i could have brought out the reference phones into the picture or Studio monitors. they are all the way neutral & bring out more details than the bass oriented ones. thats natural as none of a particular frequency is given preference and they are mostly flat across the range.
The more the colder sound goes, you seem to percept more details but then you loose the sound dynamics which you get from the low end and some warmness do give a nice texture to the overall tonal reproduction.

If you want details, Senns 5xx, ATs AD, Bayers DT series. they are well known audiophile phones bringing out the details as you said & the kind of bass response you are talking about.
But all that comes at a price. And what we are talking here is sub 2k phones.

About the Sony Xb lineup, they are their xtra bass lineup and do what thry are supposed to do & excellent at that. i agree to what you said about bass response but that was with the previous lineup, kind of boomy, flabby ans even i used to think the same. but the new lineup is substantially better with tighter bass and good body to go along with still retaining good details and better soundstage, as far as i have heard and read about it & with xb400 as opposed to old xb300, i just experienced it.
and here i was just talking w.r.t bass oriented phones, not the detail monsters. more fun sounding and warm phones which you would just put on & enjoy music but not monitor the tiny nuances in sound.
For that purpose, a neutral or more treble oriented phones would do better.

And for m1, check the End Words from a reputed headphone oriented site. casual phones as they say -- The Casual: Philips Fidelio M1 | Headfonia

m1 is a $125-150 phone. totally out of picture in sub $25. so that wont be a proper comparo to a $25 xb400:duh2:. Just bring in some $150 phones from Senns, ATs, bayers, akg, & the likes and phillips just gets smoked away by these and wont even come close. Phillips has never been excellent in any aspect(bass, mids,treble) apart from just being good overall. Fidelio is the only series from phillips that got some praise in recent past but they are just good nothin much. but if you talk bass only, you are sure to get a sony xb in replies on headfi :wink:.

Top Bottom