Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
Thanks a for all yuor comments guys...Surely gives more info on the GPU's

^^ You are most welcome.:smile:

I think op here can go for msi gtx 560-ti twin frozr II @ 10.7K instead of a 6870. What say?

@ jetboy

Have a look here.

Thanks for the link..but it says the card is for 13.5k and not 10.5K ?

Also are you guys sure if 6950 or 560Ti both will work fine on my config without any problem ? It wont bottleneck the cpu?

I was just reading from Anandtech and it seems they say 6950 is better than 560 Ti :(..Still confused :(

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
6950 is better than 560Ti at stock clocks. However, OCed 560Ti catches up with 6950. My suggestion would be to go for the 560Ti only if its available at 1k-1.5k less than the 6950 1gb. Otherwise, 6950 is a safe bet and the13.2k pricing is great for a card of its caliber.

Apparently the cheapest 560Ti at SMC atm is the TFII @ 13750. Better to get the 6950 1gb from Sapphire.

And your CPU would be bottleneck, particularly at your resolution.

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
6950 is better than 560Ti at stock clocks. However, OCed 560Ti catches up with 6950. My suggestion would be to go for the 560Ti only if its available at 1k-1.5k less than the 6950 1gb. Otherwise, 6950 is a safe bet and the13.2k pricing is great for a card of its caliber.

Apparently the cheapest 560Ti at SMC atm is the TFII @ 13750. Better to get the 6950 1gb from Sapphire.

And your CPU would be bottleneck, particularly at your resolution.

Thanks for the guidance.

I generally don't play games at very high resolution. on my 4870 I did'nt go beyond 1920X1080 most f the games and for the very new games I did'nt go above 1280X760...So would that be fine? Cause I wont be able to go for a new mobo and a proc.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
You game on that 17" CRT, how are you getting 1080p? What's the max resolution supported by your monitor? Apparently it won't be more than 1280x1024.

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
LOL...sorry for my old sig..I have a 22' Samsung ..Its a 2233SW i guess...Sorry I dont remember the actual model number

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK, got it. Get the Sapphire 6950 1gb. It's total VFM. :)

And if you need to check its OC potential, here's a link:-

*translate.googleusercontent.com/tr...art=16&usg=ALkJrhgkMohou52Hws5OIuPVe4IDptwesw

Last edited:
OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
I had this Sapphire HD4870 which went bad..offcourse it was after 3 years, but still I feel a bit uncomfortable with sapphire now :-(..it was worth 17k then..that is the reason its heartbreaking for me to spend 17k more now :(...

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@megamind: don't want to start it all over again. Lets just say they are equal, some games favor 560Ti, and some 6950 and you save some going for the 6950 1gb. ;)

@jetboy: I get your point, but if you are willing to spend 17k, then the MSI 6950 TFIII 2gb is a killer option. Sapphire one is good, although without the "legendary" temps of the Twin Frozer cooler. What's your budget anyway?

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
@megamind: don't want to start it all over again. Lets just say they are equal, some games favor 560Ti, and some 6950 and you save some going for the 6950 1gb. ;)

@jetboy: I get your point, but if you are willing to spend 17k, then the MSI 6950 TFIII 2gb is a killer option. Sapphire one is good, although without the "legendary" temps of the Twin Frozer cooler. What's your budget anyway?

Mine was 15K...but without the psu...but I see I need a good psu ..just to make it doesn't harm the GPU.

Hey Skud..btw can you give me some tips to make sure there is no harm done to the machine..I was running my machine at my hometown even on a inverter and nothing went wrong then. I moved to Pune just 3 months ago and the GPU just went off like that just like that. I have another post were I listed this problem..but no ones seems to be replying to it :(

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/graphic-cards/143716-sapphire-4870-display-problem.html

I dont have a UPS at my end, but a good spike guard. Are there any other things that one need to take care to make sure the sysem runs in good health ?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Checked your link. Apparently, you need to change the PSU. So what's the budget for the GFX and PSU combo?

MegaMind

Human Spambot

I'm not starting again, but everyone must know the truth.. Thats why said that..

As OP's budget is 15K he can opt for 560Ti TFIII as i guess there is no OCed 6950s in that price range...

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
Checked your link. Apparently, you need to change the PSU. So what's the budget for the GFX and PSU combo?

I can extend the budget to the point were I can buy

Sapphire 6950 + GS600
OR
MSI 560Ti + GS600

But the point is which configuration would suit my proc and motherboard and not bottleneck it + scary feeling with Sapphire too :(

Now when you guys mentioned about going for MSI 560Ti hawk version..there are three diff cards available in it 880, 800 and 900 mhz..so which one should I go for..I guess 880 and 900 wont have too much of a difference..right?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bottleneck would be there with your processor, you can't completely eliminate it. But you can enjoy games at the highest quality, no problems there. My vote still goes for 6950, but 560Ti is a cooler and somewhat costlier alternative.

And the Hawk is 900 Mhz, TFII is 880 and the plain jane 560Ti is 800 Mhz (822 actually), I guess. We are talking about the TFII here.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Bottleneck would be there with your processor, you can't completely eliminate it. But you can enjoy games at the highest quality, no problems there. My vote still goes for 6950, but 560Ti is a cooler and somewhat costlier alternative.
U are missing the main part, cooler, faster and somewhat costlier alternative(500 bucks).

And the Hawk is 900 Mhz, TFII is 880 and the plain jane 560Ti is 800 Mhz (822 actually), I guess. We are talking about the TFII here.

Actually HAWK is clocked @ 950MHz

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman

So there wont be a large difference between TFII and Hawk?

also what about what more care can i take about keeping my hardware safe..I was very happy with my initial configuration as per my sig, but was heart broken when 4870 gave up :(..Just want to be on safer side this time and make sure everything remains fine..

Thanks in advance for the tips

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ megamind

Exactly. Both are better options than 6950 1gb. Op should go for 560-ti here. Overclocking potential of sapphire 69501gb is bad.

OP
J

jetboy

Journeyman
Were you using that Matirx SMPS right from the beginning?

Yes since I got the 4870...but please dont make the mistake of thinking it as the Matrix brand which we all know. Basically this is something like RTR Matrix 600w...its some local made and it served me well..but just not feeling to continue with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom