Has the quality of Firefox gone down recently?

Has quality of Firefox gone down?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I am noticing a drastic performance drop in the recent builds of Firefox.

I have only 4 extensions installed at home, NoScript, AdBlock, Download Helper, and one more.

The startup time is pathetic, opening TFD, Gmail and youtube simultaneously via bookmarks causes it to hang for 5-6 seconds. this is not just in one computer .. its across multiple devices.

so the question is .. Has Quality of Firefox gone Down? is Mozilla loosing the plot to build quality software instead of releasing updates ever now and then?

Krow

Crowman
Nope. Version 10 is fine on windows. On linux, flash-heavy sites make it hang. But i think FF is acutuallybresponding to competition faster ever since the new numbering system.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
No. I don't think so. Firefox is my default browser in Linux.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Memory consumption is still its Achilles Heel. But in my book still the best.

tkin

Back to school!!
It went down, but now back on track, still takes longest to launch among all three major browsers but good none the less.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
It went down, but now back on track, still takes longest to launch among all three major browsers but good none the less.

Ya, launch time is lame. I think it checks for updates and add in updates on launch.

tkin

Back to school!!
Ya, launch time is lame. I think it checks for updates and add in updates on launch.
No, I have mine disabled from checking updates at startup, FF has been suffering from slow cold launch for a long time now.

clmlbx

Technomancer
Latest version of chrome that is 17 is using lot of memory comparing to previous versions

Gauravs90

geek........
why should one even consider memory consumption as 2GB of memory is enough for any browsing needs and now a days its the minimum requirement for any system...

Krow

Crowman
I have seen it consume as high as 900+ mb. And this is on 10.0.2.
It scales. You have 8GB RAM, so FF uses more. Heck, all apps use more. In my office PC with 1GB RAM, FF 10.0.2 never exceeds 220 MB.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its behaving like this in a laptop with 2gb RAM. Also in a desktop with 4GB. Major problem is that due to this it stops responding for some moments while browsing.

Not really much bothered with RAM usage in my Gaming PC. Pagefile is turned off and its doing fine. And it has Waterfox installed in it. And Opera 64-bit. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom