Hard disk dead ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eureca_eureca

In the zone
When connecting my 80 gb hard disk some pcs dosent load any operating sys , instead it goes to the safe more or norrmal mode selection , even if selected safe mode or other ,this keeps repeating, tried in diffrent jumper position still the same..
but the size of the hdd apears in bios ..

is my hdd dead ?

Please help

shantanu

Technomancer
No your HDD is not dead ! this is a common problem with sata when your os corrupt its drivers and you have to copy the drivers once again to hdd !! or you can format the system and then try reinstalling with a floppy or cd in which drivers are their for your sata controllers. PRess F6 during the boot screen when xp boots from cd means on the blue screen when it says that press F6 to install drivers

OP
E

eureca_eureca

In the zone
Its not sata hdd , its a samsung . i ve tried it as a slave ,then it should have worked , Is there any issues of drivers when installed on a diffrent comp with diffrent hardware config ?

or is it a changce of hdd failure ?

shantanu

Technomancer
SATA IS A TYPE NOT A MAKE !!
SAMSUNG SATA OR SEAGATE SATA OR WD SATA OR HITACHI SATA OR OTHER COMPANIES SATA

its serial ATA type of transfer

OP
E

eureca_eureca

In the zone
gary4gar said:
Of what compny it is??

if seagate then try this:*www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
YEa i was telling its a normal samsung (IDE) ,not sata

would sata and ide not work together ?
Would a damaged hdd show its size in bios

Last edited:

shantanu

Technomancer
SATA AND IDE CAN WORK TOGETHER!! AND A DAMAGED HDD (with bad sectors) shows its size in BIOS AND GETS DETECTED BUT NOT A DEAD ONE

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental
Man just run checkdisk after booting from dos or a live cd.
Happens if you restart frequently directly or power down improperly.
I have a Samsung IDE too. Had this problem in my early days.
Happens especially if u r using fat32, accumulates several errors over time. switch to ntfs if you can (especially your boot partition)

OP
E

eureca_eureca

In the zone
Yup i got some answers finally to not panic any more , thx shantanu

but how to get it working back again ..like free radical said i can try a live cd but i dont much around dos..BTW how do i go to dos unless i can reach upto an os .all i get is to select the diffrent modes to start windows ..like normally and other options , selecting other option brings back to the same option over and over again .I will have to try a live cd.and yes its a fat partition on c drive ..

and other cause and ways to get it back working ?

shantanu

Technomancer
so now do one thing download this samsung DM from my site just click the link :

www.thecomputernext.bravehost.com\downloads\samsung.nrg

this is a bootable cd image which you have to burn on cd and boot from it ,
and then click on utilities and do a zero fill drive (quick one)

then in maintenence cilck on update master boot record(mbr) and then when its done restart. insert the bootable XP cd and then try running the installation.

THIS BOOT IMAGE PROVIDED ABOPVE WILL ONLY BURN IN NERO..

OP
E

eureca_eureca

In the zone
i just did a search and found it has got a bulk of free wares and tools in it , thx

hope i will be able to get back my hdd soon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom