hard disk crashed

doomgiver

Warframe
my 1 tb hard disk crashed yesterday, thanks to me.
i accidentally hit the cabinet with my foot, while it was working.

now windows wont boot, or repair and gives 0x00000e9 (or something, might be 9e also, wont try again, as i fear for my data)
booted up via falcon4 ubcd, got into mini-XP
it didnt read any partitions
rebooted again, this time into mini-linux
ran gparted.
this showed the entire hdd(all 3 prim. part.) as having error
i selected "info" from context,
told me it was bad sectors,

it told me to run chkdsk /F, the regular stuff.

my new system does not support ide/ata ribbon cable,
so i installed ubuntu 11.04 on my old system, as i had an old ribbon type 160 gb hdd

now the net wont work in the new install.

i've put the right stuff in the right places (i know this, right?) and the connection even connects, but the net wont work
if i try to ping ANYTHING, even the modem, it says "destination host unreachabe"
ther damn icon even changes to a connected one.
EDIT :
forget waht i said about networking
net is up and running (damn me if i know why)

in the time i was typing the above stuff out on my mobile, the net started up as if nothing was wrong, thats crazy.

DOUBLE EDIT :
seems like the connection goes off and on on its whim.
one moment, it'll work, the other, it'll just shut down.
very annoying

TRIPLE EDIT :
it was a cable fault, moved it a few centimeters and voila! we have connectivity!

anyway, to the real stufff :
the fate of the 1 tb hdd.

its just 1-1.5 yrs old, working fine, except for the currnet situation.
i've heard that some kinds of bad sectors can be recovered from, but i'm planning to convert htis disk to a storage one permanently, as soon as i get a rplacemnt.

so, the question now are :
1. how do i get into windows, and get my data back?
2. how do i get to a command line?
3. will the disk be eligible for rma? (provided i dont tell them that i was the one who did the kicking?)

also, please move thread to hardware sectionn

is there anybody OUT THERE (as in the pink floyd song)???

i got an idea :
i can get back the data by installing ntfs-progs and ntfs-3g, and then mounting and removing the data.
but im not sure how well the hdd will hold up.
need some ideas here, folks.

Last edited:
OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
Windows recovery console?

no luck, as i said above, it quits with the '0x0000.....e9/9e' message.
it hangs when the "windows is loading" thing comes up in gray with a bar at the bottom.

oh, btw, i havent tried it via the install disc, i'll give it a try again.
i think you cant rma

BTW you doomed your hard drive
yeh, i know, i'd rather kick myself 10 times than do that to my comp again.
stupid me and my stupid room arrangement

anyway, cant i just claim that it happened during normal usage?

ofc, im a god-fearing windows using nooblet, i dont know waht went wrong, the drive just stopped wroking, please fix it for me, as its still in warranty, wont you, RMA bhaiya?

the biggest problem is that the drive detection is hit-and-miss

one time, it'll detect, the other, it wont.
thats why im going so slow with it, i dont want to damage it anymore.
i'd rather lose 10 gb of data than lose the entire drive.

anyway, i heard that recovering from bad secors is possible....

aslo, my research is going slow, coz this pentium D can only handle 15-20 opera tabs at once :(
cant someone help me a bit? like point to sites and stuff?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
your best bet is connecting the hdd as secondary to another windows system.install some recovery program & scan the disk for recoverable data.but before this run a S.M.A.R.T. value reading software(crystaldisk,hdtune etc or equivalent tools in linux)& see if any value has already failed or close to failing(post screenshot).it will give an idea about current state of disk & extent of damage.

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
your best bet is connecting the hdd as secondary to another windows system.install some recovery program & scan the disk for recoverable data.but before this run a S.M.A.R.T. value reading software(crystaldisk,hdtune etc or equivalent tools in linux)& see if any value has already failed or close to failing(post screenshot).it will give an idea about current state of disk & extent of damage.

yeah, thats pretty close to waht i had in mind.
will psot screenies asap

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
update :
there seems to be differing opinions on the condition of my hdd.

linux claims that i can fix it just by running chkdsk,
while other tools i tried, like hiren's bootcd, say that the hdd is failing, and i should get off data ASAP.

the problem is, windows wont recognize the hdd, i tried using MS's DART tools (v6.5) and it just stuck at the "choose your os" thing.

im thinking of installing windows in the secondary hdd, and then trying to run chkdsk

im pretty sure i can save most of my data, but im not sure if the hdd will survive.

also, can someone give me some good linux hdd tools? SMART tools?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
*help.ubuntu.com/11.04/ubuntu-help/disk-check.html
1.Click the dash in the top left corner of the screen and start the Disk Utility.
2.Select your hard drive in the Storage Devices list. Information will appear about the disk and its status under Drive.
3.SMART Status should say "Disk is healthy".
4.To see details of the data and tests applied, click on the SMART Data button located below SMART Status.

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
it says " smart disabled" with the faulty disk..... wut?
but the other disk shows as healthy.

i think the only option left for me is to get another disk, and begin transferring data,

after the data is safe, i'll try a low level format/bad sector repair.

but for now, i'll just buy a new disk

Sujeet

Undead!!!
^^will it help???
os not installing...ok i got it ...behave the most innocent way possible..isnt it?lol!
Always works.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ yep, it will work for sure - Just say the HDD is not working and when they will want to know the reason just tell them windows not installing/loading - had real time experience before regarding this ;-)

OP
doomgiver

doomgiver

Warframe
alright, i can get a 1 tb hdd, then make a rescue disk with ddrescue and then submit the failing drive to them.

yea, if i dont mention that i've dropped it, then they arent gonna open it up to check it, are they?

and that drive has got just windows and data, so i can safely play the role of the 'windows is soo awesome' role.

good idea :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ they are not gonna open and check the HDD for sure ;-) - so go ahead wth the RMA process.

Top Bottom