guys need your advice on Skullcandy TITAN S2TTDY-016 Chrome

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Checking e-commerce sites for product review is not a sensible move in understanding what one requires & what the guy who wrote the review meant.

What op asked is a bass heavy IEM not a V-shaped sound signature IEM ........

Amazon ratings are far more accurate than say, Flipkart ratings. And I personally own the E10, so I know how good they are. Their only weakness is the slightly loose/fluffy bass, but then I didnt find its bass loose until I compared them to say, a Grado SR60i or the Signature acoustics C-12 (2.7k). In fact the E10s hold very well even against the Sony MDR-XB90EX (4k) - and thats decidedly a bass heavy IEM.

I wouldnt call the E10 bass light by any stretch. Moreover the E10 responds nicely to equalizer settings.

And since OP wants a bassy IEM I dont see why the E10 is not a good choice amongst IEMs.

Regarding the bass quality of the E10, I can only compare it to the ones I own. Disregarding price and form factor -
Grado SR60i > C-12 > XB90EX > E10 > PL50

overall sound (with no equalizer tinkering)
Grado SR60i > PL50 > C-12 > E10 > XB90EX

VFM
E10 > Grado SR60i > PL50 = C-12 > XB90EX

Also, how do you like your bass - powerful but controlled or just all out bass volume ?

A sample song link on youtube would be helpful...

Knight2A4

In the zone
Let me try to explain what i meant. I will break down my explanation

Amazon ratings are far more accurate than say, Flipkart ratings.

the reason why i said Checking e-commerce sites for product review is not a sensible move in understanding what one requires & what the guy who wrote the review meant is b/c for e-commerce sites its not about being more accurate it about selling there product. For example favorite sonic signature is warm & smooth when i go to sites like amazon or flipkart they would not help me in identifying the best IEM with my preferred sound signature but will let me to what ever IEM sells best on there site. It could be with any sound signature. for example Sound magic PL 30 has a neutral signature but when you check reviews on e-commerce about Sound magic PL 30 they say that it has good bass but on head-fi is where you will understand what it truly means in Pl 30 the extension of the bass is good but there is no bass enhancement so when there is bass line in the song it will get extended only to the point where it is required by the song and for that the song needs to be composed cleverly which is not the case with majority of them. So some type of bass enhancement is required but seeing the rating on the e-commerce if i brought it i am destined to get disappointed. and so is also wrong to compare IEM of different sound signature. Sound Signature is obtained by physically tuning it is constructed in that manner to deliver the sonic signature. When you compare Grado SR60i > C-12 > XB90EX > E10 > PL50 you are comparing IEM with different built to produce different sound signature on the bases of bass which is different for different IEM. Pl-50 Natural IEM there is no enhancement there. E10 v-shaped sound signature. Xb90Ex Bass head IEM. C-12 Warm & smooth with mid-bass enhancement & Grado SR60i can not conspired to IEM case its a headphone its always going to have advantage over IEM b/c of the driver size & construction this is the same reason why i had formerly advices op's for Denon AH D310R Headphone if he is comfortable with it. Two IEM can be compared when both have the same sonic signature for ex Philips she 3590 to sound magic E10 both have same v shaped signature. Finally how do you like your bass - powerful but controlled or just all out bass volume ? I listen to a wide range of music from hip hop to indian classic to inde -rock to narcotic music to Bollywood songs & used different IEM for different propose Philips SHE 3590 - v shaped when i feel energetic, Sony xb30ex when listen to dub step or trance. Cowon EM1 Warm and smooth with enhanced mid bass for rock or Bollywood for long listening time. & when i just want to listen with random songs Panasonic RP-HJE120E-K.

josin

In the zone
Let me try to explain what i meant. I will break down my explanation

the reason why i said Checking e-commerce sites for product review is not a sensible move in understanding what one requires & what the guy who wrote the review meant is b/c for e-commerce sites its not about being more accurate it about selling there product. For example favorite sonic signature is warm & smooth when i go to sites like amazon or flipkart they would not help me in identifying the best IEM with my preferred sound signature but will let me to what ever IEM sells best on there site. It could be with any sound signature. for example Sound magic PL 30 has a neutral signature but when you check reviews on e-commerce about Sound magic PL 30 they say that it has good bass but on head-fi is where you will understand what it truly means in Pl 30 the extension of the bass is good but there is no bass enhancement so when there is bass line in the song it will get extended only to the point where it is required by the song and for that the song needs to be composed cleverly which is not the case with majority of them. So some type of bass enhancement is required but seeing the rating on the e-commerce if i brought it i am destined to get disappointed. and so is also wrong to compare IEM of different sound signature. Sound Signature is obtained by physically tuning it is constructed in that manner to deliver the sonic signature. When you compare Grado SR60i > C-12 > XB90EX > E10 > PL50 you are comparing IEM with different built to produce different sound signature on the bases of bass which is different for different IEM. Pl-50 Natural IEM there is no enhancement there. E10 v-shaped sound signature. Xb90Ex Bass head IEM. C-12 Warm & smooth with mid-bass enhancement & Grado SR60i can not conspired to IEM case its a headphone its always going to have advantage over IEM b/c of the driver size & construction this is the same reason why i had formerly advices op's for Denon AH D310R Headphone if he is comfortable with it. Two IEM can be compared when both have the same sonic signature for ex Philips she 3590 to sound magic E10 both have same v shaped signature. Finally how do you like your bass - powerful but controlled or just all out bass volume ? I listen to a wide range of music from hip hop to indian classic to inde -rock to narcotic music to Bollywood songs & used different IEM for different propose Philips SHE 3590 - v shaped when i feel energetic, Sony xb30ex when listen to dub step or trance. Cowon EM1 Warm and smooth with enhanced mid bass for rock or Bollywood for long listening time. & when i just want to listen with random songs Panasonic RP-HJE120E-K.

+1 well said.
@pranav0091. Years back I used to buy iem/headphones in accordance with the reviews made my previous purchasers from amazone like sites.But time and money taught me a lot ( and special thanks to Head-fi too). It not that bad to read reviews in amazone or flipkart, But do keep in mind that most of users/buyers of Headphone in those sites are causal/non audiophile class users (there are exceptions), and they may not be using high quality recording and source to properly evaluate a headphone/iem in its proper sense. So do visit proper head gear reviewing sites, ask for their opinions, if possible audition the headphone and then plunge yourself.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^ I agree with your comments. Even I looked out for flat out comparisons from well known site for the E10 and the Denon - couldnt find any. Thats why I went a looked at the Amazon reviews (btw, I also read the reviews to weed out the worthless ones, not just look at the final score). That being said, it is very unlikely that the opinion of the majority is bogus - the E10 is a full star better than the Denon, according to the final star ratings. Surely, there must be something good about the E10.

OP here doesnt say much about the particulars of the music he intends to listen and that pushes me to recommend the E10 since even if you take out the bass, its such a likeable IEM (In fact I'd call the bass as its weakpoint - and even at its weak point its still better than most others at that price range) The best part is how responsive it is to equalizer settings - OP can tweak it if he doesnt like them all that much at stock settings. Further, the E10s open, airy sound is so refreshing even if you are on a non-bassy track. The same cannot be said of many bassy IEMs (for example the XB90EX sounds like a fish out of water if you give it some vocals to play) and I dont know how the Denon is in this regard.

Now the more important question, one that I genuinely have - what makes the Denons better than the E10 for OP's needs?

Also, OP, look at the VSonic GR02 Bass Edition as mentoned by High-Fidelity. They are also very good IEMs going by popular opinion - possibly even better than the E10 since you appear to be more inclined towards bass.

Infact there is some more reason to recommend the E10 - fit and build. Once the wire loses its initial molded-shape, its so very non tangly and strong.

OP
Y

yashxxx

Journeyman
I mostly hear dubstep,trance,techno,house,electro and bolly songs(download it from djmaja).
So,now i have many options as you guys have suggested and am damn confused.
Now i have told you what kind of music i like so please guys choose best 1 for me
1-denon ah c-260
2-e10
3-vsonic gr02
4-sony xb30ex

Knight2A4

In the zone
^ I agree with your comments. Even I looked out for flat out comparisons from well known site for the E10 and the Denon - couldnt find any. Thats why I went a looked at the Amazon reviews (btw, I also read the reviews to weed out the worthless ones, not just look at the final score). That being said, it is very unlikely that the opinion of the majority is bogus - the E10 is a full star better than the Denon, according to the final star ratings. Surely, there must be something good about the E10.

Well it seem you read some reviews on Amazon that helped you to place E-10 better than denon Please shear those review links so that we can get enlighten too..

But to be transparent i will shear why i recommend denon ah c260. You see op's has listened to the Skullcandy TITAN that was offered by his friend for 1.5k & said that i liked the boomy bass that the skullcandy produces & asked weather the asking price was worth the 1.5k investment. To which i initially replied.With three iem’s Sound Magic PL11, denon ah c260 or Philips SHE9700 at the same time asked him about the source he is going to use. His reply came as LG G2 & he included that he wanted an IEM with bassy nature with clarity for 2k the reason why I shifted my weight to denon was b/c its better in doing base & providing good about of clarity both at the same time while it costing under 2k. Sound magic Pl 11 was also another contender for what ops required but with the source LG G2 It might end up with a hissing sound. & eating up more power and draining the source.

Audio quality report of LG G2
score down to Audio output perfectly clean, but not very loud. the reason why its not loud or more technically can not produce more voltage to drive IEM better. Sound magic Pl 11 has
impedance of 12 ohms with a Sensitivity of 103dB the result will be hissing sound in the back ground of the music. Here i have already posted about it & amazingly that also to the same topic.

Am sorry if things got a little to far or jargons ..... reading product reviews on E-commerce sites is not the most wise way to decide the performance of a product. Since a long time i have been using mobile phones as source for listen music. Following is what i have saturated from online research.

When coupling a low impedance I.E.M with relatively high Sensitivity to a week source. In this case SM PL11 with impedance of 12 ohms with a Sensitivity of 103dB to nexus 4 in comparison to RP-HJE-120 with impedance of 16 ohms with a Sensitivity of 96dB would result in hissing usually occurs on most players and will pull more current from a device. It will also generally be less easy to control. That’s is why I said It would be like when a dam brakes the water rush’s out without any control. Volume will get accelerated too fast without focusing on audio signature of the IEM. High impedance will require more voltage so you need to turn the volume up higher but it will not be pulling more energy from the player. Best would be high impedance and high effeciency.

High Impedance is usually achieved by thinner wire and most importantly more turns of wire in the voice coil. More turns or loops creates a larger field (area of magnetic influence). In layman's terms more magnetic force for the coil to move the diaphragm. Thinner wire usually works out to a lighter, more responsive diaphragm.The displacement (amount of movement) of the diaphragm (the part that vibrates to produce sound) can be better controlled via a more accurate flux (magnetic field to pull and push the diaphragm) Depending on the design, this leads to more accurate response

An example would be Signature Acoustics C-12 with 18 Ohms ( 2 Ohms more than normal ) & with a Sensitivity of 102 dB when coupled with a proper source like sansa clip+ would result in better control & more responsive diaphragm. Even better results can be achieved by using high bit rate & better recorded material.

Finally when i completed this i was able to understand why there was hissing noise with i couple nokia x2 with tech-fusion White Chrome .... Anyway they both are history now .... :oops:

But there is more which helped me to decide. Please read this review of Denon AH-C260 vs Skullcandy Buds. this is what op's wanted initially Skull candy with better build & Good amount of bass with more clarity.

E10 since even if you take out the bass, its such a likeable IEM (In fact I'd call the bass as its weakpoint - and even at its weak point its still better than most others at that price range) The best part is how responsive it is to equalizer settings - OP can tweak it if he doesnt like them all that much at stock settings. Further, the E10s open, airy sound is so refreshing even if you are on a non-bassy track. The same cannot be said of many bassy IEMs (for example the XB90EX sounds like a fish out of water if you give it some vocals to play) and I dont know how the Denon is in this regard.
h
As for Eqing goes I myself have done Eqing for Philips SHE 3590 the result is how ever different from that of a neutral IEM. Equiliers should only be used to smooth out the haziness of certain frequencies for example jvc fx 101 is a bass heads IEM in that manner the treble gets hazz in some songs lower it from equalizer will help to better listen to the bass that the IEM can produce. but trying to Equalize the Sound Signature of the IEM is totally different thing. Let me try to explain this also.

Equalizing would be to either increase or decrease a set of frequencies in an equalizer to enhance a particular frequency set lets take bass. if i increase lower frequencies what happens is that the iem which already has bass enhancement increases the bass to much resulting in an uncontrolled and un-calculated bass frequency that over laps over others rendering all other frequencies unclear you loss clarity that way. When decreasing lets take bass frequencies again it will limit to the extend the bass can travel deep down which again hampers the sonic signature of the iem. There is a reason why there are soo many iem's or one just needed an equalizer like power amp and an iem for all could had been obtained that way.

I mostly hear dubstep,trance,techno,house,electro and bolly songs(download it from djmaja).
So,now i have many options as you guys have suggested and am damn confused.
Now i have told you what kind of music i like so please guys choose best 1 for me
1-denon ah c-260
2-e10
3-vsonic gr02
4-sony xb30ex

I did suspected dubstep when you said you like bass by anyway below is a reference treads for built quality of sound magic

SoundMagic E10 gone kaput AGAIN..!!! :O

Last edited:
OP
Y

yashxxx

Journeyman
Hakim i think you use sony xb30ex(guessed from ur sig).
Could you please tell me about this?
And how r they in comp. to denon ones.
Cuz now i am going to eliminate them 1by1.

Knight2A4

In the zone
if you did not listen to Bollywood music then i would had said go for sony xb30ex since its better for the rest of what you listen too

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Well, thats a pretty exhaustive explanation. Thanks :)

I'll have a couple of caveats though. The E10s are built really well - there is no two ways about it. I honestly think that you have to really be harsh on them for them to give up - something that another guy in the thread agrees with. I have two pairs, one of which has taken very nasty tugs from the seat-armrests a number of times (getting pulled out of my ears, getting pulled out of my phones and everything in between) and they are still as good as new - but that maybe because of a certain superglue mod I use on every IEM I buy.

Incidentally I read that exact same review, but IMHO the skullcandy's rubbish (yes I am biased - I listened to some yellow skullcandy ONCE and I was not going to listen to another again I dont know the name of that thing, was some 1.5k IIRC - my E10 was a world apart from that abomination) Now, if you are comparing the Denon against a skullcandy, I really dont know how much credit I should give the Denons for coming out on top - thats why I ended up at Amazon

Highs: the highs on the skullcandy sound very distant and recessed, the denon's highs are slightly more forward and sound more detailed.

Mids: the skullcandy mids are fairly good but recessed and the skullcandy's can be sillibant at times, the denon's are recessed to but not as badly and they have very smooth mids.

If the Denons are only a bit better than the Skullcandy, then I have genuine doubts regarding how good they really are. And reviews like this dont inspire much confidence in me about the Denons, to be not skeptical of them.

On the other hand the E10 is a universal favourite.

OP has heard ONLY a skullcandy and thinks its great, doesnt automatically mean that its going to stay great after he hears something better. Thats all I was trying to say.

Knight2A4

In the zone
Well, thats a pretty exhaustive explanation. Thanks :)

I'll have a couple of caveats though. The E10s are built really well - there is no two ways about it. I honestly think that you have to really be harsh on them for them to give up - something that another guy in the thread agrees with. I have two pairs, one of which has taken very nasty tugs from the seat-armrests a number of times (getting pulled out of my ears, getting pulled out of my phones and everything in between) and they are still as good as new - but that maybe because of a certain superglue mod I use on every IEM I buy.

Incidentally I read that exact same review, but IMHO the skullcandy's rubbish (yes I am biased - I listened to some yellow skullcandy ONCE and I was not going to listen to another again I dont know the name of that thing, was some 1.5k IIRC - my E10 was a world apart from that abomination) Now, if you are comparing the Denon against a skullcandy, I really dont know how much credit I should give the Denons for coming out on top - thats why I ended up at Amazon

You should not judge a book by its cover is what they say then built quality of iem not an exception its not what it looks from out side the material used inside also matters.

i went though all of the review from head-fi that you posted but i did not find even one trying to listen dumbstep trance, techno, house, electro to write the review. what i did found was what they used was Pop, Rock, Soft Rock, Bollywood and some instrumental by reviewer akshayshah12. I also use Philips SHE 3590 to listen Pop, Rock, Soft Rock dums & guitar sound best but that's for this particular gene of music. rest of the reviewer did mentioned that E10 have bulit quality issues Reviewer DylanJohn : Conclusion:
Although the sound is very good for such cheap headphones, they really lack durability. The casing came of three times and I decided to buy some other pair (sennheiser CX250)

Reviewer Ch1Kn : Conclusion:

i wouldent really recommend these, however maybe i just had a bad pair. The problem was that the cable is awful always tangles and eventually became the demise of my pair. It isn't the worst idea to try these i mean the sound quality is quite amazing for what you paying for. but overal i'd say it's not worth it.

Reviewer shotgunshane : Conclusion:

music used classic rock, metal, pop and country

Cons: stiff cable

Reviewer jgbreezer : Conclusion:

Cons: unsure on build quality, not as much detail as some others in <£30 price range

This is what op's wanted initially Skull candy with better build & Good amount of bass with more clarity.

i think you missed this part from the review i had posted review of Denon AH-C260 vs Skullcandy Buds

They are both bass heavy IEM's with the skullcandy having more controlled bass but in less quantity, the denon's have plenty of bass with very nice extension. In my opinion the denon's are better because they sound clearer, are more comfortable and suit most genres fine. The skullcandy sounds very veiled.

Finally you comparing to different gene of earphones on bass Sound magic E10 has a v-shaped sound signature where as Denon has a warm & smooth with mid bass enhanced sound signature. when you compare IEM you are no just comparing bass mids & treble are also there.

Last edited:
OP
Y

yashxxx

Journeyman
Guys its not about e10 vs denon.
Its about getting the right iem which should be bassy.
Help me in getting the right earphones.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Most people go wow on hearing the skullcandy's but thats until they hear something better.

The E10 has had a facelift in terms of build I read, and not one reviewer has any complaints of note on the SQ. Also, isnt v shape preferred for bassheads ?

When you compare a product with another of dubios merit and call it better, I have to question as to how good is it compared to something else, a known quality product. That was all I was saying.

I am far from convinced, because all the denon has going for it is ONE review of any note and that guy compares it only to a skullcandy of similar price. Thats a very weak argument. If you yourself had heard the E10 and the C260, then I'd have been more convinced.

In any case we have given OP choices, the call is his to make :)
I'll stick for the E10.

Guys its not about e10 vs denon.
Its about getting the right iem which should be bassy.
Help me in getting the right earphones.

Sorry. :D

My votes for your needs would be the GR02 Bass edition/ E10.

Knight2A4

In the zone
I have bought lg g2 and the stock earphone sucks.so,i need a earphone for listening music and as i have said i like earphns. With heavy bass+clarity.

My suggestion for Denon was based to the fact that op's have heard skull candy then an IEM with more bass with good amount of extension & better clarity would be much better .....

The E10 has had a facelift in terms of build I read, and not one reviewer has any complaints of note on the SQ. Also, isnt v shape preferred for bassheads ? seriously :-D
I am far from convinced, because all the denon has going for it is ONE review of any note and that guy compares it only to a skullcandy of similar price. Thats a very weak argument. If you yourself had heard the E10 and the C260, then I'd have been more convinced.

Arguments are week when one does not know technical issues I have my points clear.

@yashxxx you should get your hands on a philips she 3590 which as a v-shaped sound signature that will help to decide better

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Sound is more than just specifications. Much more than that.

I am not saying the intricacies dont matter, but it seemd rather absurd to go by just technical numbers instead of reviews of a device.

OP has heard only a skullcandy, of course its going to sound better than the stock earphones he had. :)
That was my last post. My work here is done :)
*flies away*

OP
Y

yashxxx

Journeyman
Thanks pranav for your suggestion but i want to ask you that e10 is really that bassy which i am searching for?
Do reply.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Great discussion there and very enriching,honestly.

Now, having owned two (Denon & E10 ) and heard the Skull Candy,I can pretty positively say that the SkullCandy is not at all a competition here. Comparing the Denon and E10 is not easy as both have loose ends but at their perspective price points its almost nitpicking or criminal to even point them out here.Theres one thing that both of the IEM agrees upon that they are fun to listen to and not analytical but more musical and dynamic.Now having said that if OP wants a bit more proper bass not at the cost of midrange though and fun go for the Denons,a lil less bass but a wee bit more insight in upper midrange go for the E10.The new E10 has better cables as the old ones were a nightmare,resulting in an improvement in the over all sound and bass weight.

Denon - Rs 1350-1499
Soundmagic - Rs 2100- 2750

Price to performance at current prices the Denon batters the Soundmagic.

When I bought the Denon it was pricex at over Rs 1900 and the E10 was for Rs 1800 around.But now the price difference makes the choice very easy for the buyer. I ordered one more Denon at ProFx for 1499,at HiFi mart you can buy one for Rs 1350.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Ah,well that's good to know that somebody has heard them both.

@OP: now its your call. I'll leave it to you to decide based on all the talk and Incinerator's last comment directly comparing the two.

As for your question, yes the E10 is very bassy, second only to the xb90ex in my collection, in terms of volume and that too only by a little.

Good to know the Denons are good, might pick one up myself. And also good to know that skullcandy hasn't changed - it makes comparisons so much easier (that was all my doubts were about - how good is an iem which is only better than a skullcandy ) :D

Top Bottom