GUtsy Gibbon Queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
@iMav, I told you long back to do this:

Cyrus_the_virus said:
Use apt-on CD and back up all your installed programs. Reinstall ubuntu with the new DVD you got. Install apt-on CD and reinstall all your programs back automatically. (should be possible within an hour)

You have to screw around couple of times before you can stop fiddling with settings in linux. Like we all mentioned, Linux is for geeks, so unless you know what setting you are fiddling with, never change it. Guess, you changed something somewhere which was not supposed to be changed. So, take this as a lesson and reinstall it. This is open source which means you can change almost any part of the OS and when you change something you don't know.. you end up in a situation where you are now at.

I had to reinstall twice before I learnt to keep my hand off the x.org conf file or keep several backups of it. So, take this as your first lesson and do what is mentioned above rather than wasting anymore time trying to figure it out as I can see you've already wasted more than 3 days on this.
But I guess you've wasted enough time with which you could have reinstalled 10 times over. Seems like it's ROYALLY Screwed somewhere, so better do what I suggested, or yes, you can keep trying as @praka has given all the possible advises.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ i guess so but i was hoping to get something to work without having to re-install everything :p

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
iMav said:
^^ i guess so but i was hoping to get something to work without having to re-install everything :p

Well, I get your point but I think it's royally screwed somewhere or it simply doesn't like you:p

Actaully just backing up using AptOnCD and installing it automatically using that isn't that hard or going to take that long. Just make sure you save your home folder to a different partition as well.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
hey guys any idea on how to speed up the boot process its taking too much time IMHO

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Disable services & components which load on bootup, Like disable CUPS if u don't have a printer.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Boot-Up Manager is a Perl-Gtk2 application to handle runlevels configuration of any debian derivative system. With this program the user will easily start and stop boot-up scripts, without the necessity to handle thru complex links and permissions.

Boot-Up Manager has been developed and tested on Ubuntu, but as it only relies on Perl-Gtk2 libraries, it can be run on any Debian-like system.
Click to install Boot-Up Manager;)

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
@praka, gary n odr experts

I have installed Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon (which had come with dec. issue of DIGIT) on my intel based (Dual core + 945 M/B.) desktop.

I access internet thru netgear modem cum wireless router. In ubuntu, if I use FF, I can access the net without any problems and I get gud speed. But whenevr I try to download smb drivers (or any other drivers) for file sharing, I get this message -

*img86.imageshack.us/img86/3474/smbsj0.th.png

On selecting install services, I get foll. error -

Please insert the disk labeled:
Ubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386 (20071017)
in drive /cdrom/

I am even not able to download thru synaptics package manager. I didnt face this prb with Ubuntu 7.04

praka123

left this forum longback
^i think gnome-system-tools is what ur trying(services-admin?) and it clearly shows need to install it from ubuntu cd.if u dont have ubuntu cd/dvd,try downloading from apt-get(internet).samba et all are the dependencies.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
just remove the installation media from your sources list, as the packages digit DVD are messed up, i got this error too. IMO digit should bundle it as a ISO file or a plain DVD.

follow this
System>adminstration>software sources>Ubuntu software TAB: Untick cdrom rom with Ubuntu 7.10 'gutsy gibbon'

now it will promt to reload the package list after that , try again, it will download directly from internet.

btw, who is the expert you are addressing?
i hope its not me

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
Trying out the solutions..

@gary

IMO u ppl r experts in linux as most of my queries hav been solved by u all n most of the queries required gud knowledge of linux....

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
I have installed the drivers now - smb & nfs. Now my problem is dat I cant open office files in ubuntu over the network. It gives me "General internet error has occured" error.

Evn in linux mint I faced the same problem but not in ubuntu 7.04. So wht is the solution for this..

kadal27

Broken In
Re: GUtsy Gibbon Queries - adding software

I tried to play avi, mpg etc. files and ubuntu itself asked and tried to install required codecs (or so) and prompted me to insert the disc labelled as "Ubuntu 7.10_Gutsy Gibbon_Release i386(20071017)". It repeated the same dialogue eventhough I popped the digit dvd.
How to create a bootable ubuntu dvd from digit dvd?
How to add software?
My BSNL Broadband works fine with ubuntu. But my HP1020 does not print. Please help me to configure it.

Rahim

Married!
^^1: Use the suggestion by gary in Post#275 to disable the prompt.
2: The Ubuntu DVD does not contain any codecs afaik.
3: The Digit DVD is already bootable. Isnt it?
4:Use Synaptic Package Manager or Add/Remove to install softwares. [Systems>Administration>Synaptic]. Search and install. Make sure you enable Multiverse, Restricted, Universe reposotories from Software Sources. Then Reload Synaptic and install softwares including Multimedia Codecs.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
hey guys ubuntu stopped booting :?

it shows the boot screen then shows the blank screen with blinking cursor (like always) and then stops at that

i tried the recovery console thing and then it stopped at: loading boot something (etc/rc.local) and stops at that does not go beyond that

i have not changed any system files in my memory .... any ideas :?:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
rc.local is used to execute scripts at the starting of session.

see what all entries are there in rc.local
generally a vanilla rc.local hav a exit 0 entry
nano /etc/rc.local

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
rc.local said:
#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

exit 0

contents of my rc.local, also gutsy gibbon live cd not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom