GUtsy Gibbon Queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
rc.local looks fine

then the very next line after this is the culprit, i will try to see what comes in my start up log file

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
WHen you boot,

Press ALT + F2, is it does show yo something error then, PLease say the exact error.

else press ALT + F8.
Now is will show you some error
write it down & paste it here

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
alt+f2 allows me terminal access and after i type startx i get a 2 line error which iv written but cant find the paper i ran the mem test in the boot menu and surprisingly my screen gets totally screwed up i tried to start my comp with 2 other ram modules from another machines but it wont boot, but if i use them with the ram module currently being used they work :? im stumped

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
alt+f2 allows me terminal access and after i type startx i get a 2 line error which iv written but cant find the paper i ran the mem test in the boot menu and surprisingly my screen gets totally screwed up i tried to start my comp with 2 other ram modules from another machines but it wont boot, but if i use them with the ram module currently being used they work :? im stumped

what say ?

my interpretation :D

"alt+f2 allows me terminal access and after I type startx, I get a 2 line error which I have written down in a piece of paper which I cant find at the moment.. I ran the mem test in the boot menu. surprisingly my screen gets totally screwed up. I tried to start my comp with 2 ram modules from another pc but it wont boot. But if I use one of my ram sticks with the one from the other system they work fine.. :? I'm stumped"

I guess that is what he means :D :p

_

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
guys i still haven't found a solution, my guess is that due to the absence of my gfx card the config seems to be having some problem, i had fx 5200 previously which has now died and i have buried it, how do manually remove the entries and settings of this card that are already there.

praka123

left this forum longback
are you still stuck on firefox fonts issue? :p and what graphics card you use now?
Had you tried mac4lin earlier?then,remove following files in /etc/fonts/ directory.
Code:
[B]alias.conf  local.conf  misc.conf  msfonts-rules.conf[/B]
reconfigure :
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig fontconfig-config
then, do a "sudo fc-cache -fv".
Hope u r using nvidia gfx card now.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
firefox issue is un-solved as a matter of fact i left it as it is, the thing is now i can't get into linux, the boot screen is shown, then I get a blank screen with a blinking cursor (this is usual) but after the blinking cursor screen my login screen comes but not anymore. I had fx5200 previously and have now removed it and am on intel onboard graphics, but I think the graphic card config is not removed as a result I am not getting the GUI, I had checked last week and I was getting access to terminal but not into the GUI mode, even startx does not work.

so what I want to try is remove the fx5200 settings manually via windows (Ext2Fsd)

praka123

left this forum longback
if your card is removed,then have you edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf driver to onboard gfx card ?(intel???)
also,there is not much any settings specific to nvidia except changing the driver in xorg.conf.
you may like to remove nvidia driver later(sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-glx-new nvidia-settings).

I think you should boot without usplash and quiet option.
for that when your pc boots,select from grub,gutsy option=>press "e"=>select "kernel /boot/vmlinuz...." line=>press "e" again.now browse into the end of that line.
remove "quiet splash" options by backspace.
Press ENTER.Press "B" to boot.

when system finishes booting,press CTRL+ALT+F2 and login into a pseudo terminal.
then,run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"
select intel as driver.give the Displays horizontal and vertical freq if u know that.
now do this:
"sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r` "
that will solve hopefully.also,firefox font rendering problem will be solved with intel drivers as that workaround is for drivers except ati and nvidia propreitary drivers.

TRY and reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom