GUtsy Gibbon Queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Yes its me iMav entering the Linux world with my first hard drive installation of a distro (previously used only live versions)

I got my gutsy gibbon CDs and i was gonna install it on a 24+1 gb partition (24 for the os and 1 for swap) but then devil told me that 2 gigs is sufficient so installed it on a 4+1 while i was installing he pmed saying that digit will be giving DVDs next month so here are my questions:

1. whats the difference in the cd and dvd contents
2. a little honest answer as i am short on hdd space how much should the partition space be
3. should i install the dvd version or the cd wala is fine (for the dvd 1 i will have to wait for digit to come out with it and will also have redo my partitions)

i hope u guys will help me :)

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
1.nothing dvd is just cd+a lot of extra packages like codecs and softwares and what not.And I suggested you to increase your partition size from 4gb cos I think it won't be enough for full DVD install.

2.Delete some XXX stuff form your PC.....10gb should be enough.

3.We don't know whether the DVD they will be giving is going to be live one or alternate one,if its the alternate ones then you can add this dvd as your source in synaptic and install packages directly from it.But if its an Live dvd then youĺl have to install full DVD to install extra stuff.(wait for some expert opinion on this matter

praka123

left this forum longback
I have downloaded and distributed both i386 and 64-bit DVDs via torrent.
DVD is live.difference from cd is the no of packages included and the options available in boot prompt.u can use it as livecd,install from text installer(debian installer),or Ubiquity gui from live session and goes on.
proprietory codecs are not included in dvd.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ could u answer my other questions as to the hdd requirements

and what are these packages normalyy :?:

and devil even if i delete that its as it is in a separate ntfs partition which i am not gonna touchit as it has all my games on it :D

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Never cut down on HDD space for Linux. You will NOT like it when the hard drive fills up, cause its gonna be nasty.

Always keep a minimum of double the actual requirement needed as quoted during install. Like, 8 GB for Ubuntu, at least.

DVD contains CD + Main Component Repository Contents + Alternative Window Managers like KDE and XFCE.

CD is fine enough for starting with. DVD just has additional packages helpful for those without Internet. Apart from that, there is absolutely NO difference in installing from the CD or from the DVD.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Hey iMav the wait is not worth it man just install from cd and enjoy.Jab DVD aayegi tab ka tab dekha jayega.And you wont have to redo your partitioning...I mean just format your current gutsy(ext3 file system) partition and install the DVD on it.Thats it.

I am on a standard CD install now and I am loving it though compiz is having some problems with my onboard graphics so it is working in 'forced' mode for me but it will work perfectly on your 845mobo.

Again no less than 10gb home partition+1gb swap partition will do incase you decide to make it your primary OS.Did I tell you that gutsy features out of box ntfs read and write support.

vish786

"The Gentleman"
iMav said:
Yes its me iMav entering the Linux world
:lol:

jokes apart.
1. whats the difference in the cd and dvd contents
dvd already comes with extra softwares/packages(linux term) so their wont be any necessity of installing softwares thru net.
2. a little honest answer as i am short on hdd space how much should the partition space be
let me tell u my config for buntu... installed ubuntu on 4GB partition using the CD version & then later installed extra softwares thru net for which i could probably do everything except gaming on buntu... ultimately ~2.5GB is used.

Dvd version will require Total 8-9 GB which is more than enough for it.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@ vish: so in other words my current 4+1 is sufficient :?: also devil's post reminds me about ext2 & 3 i chose 2 as 1 of my fren who is a slax expert recommended 2 shud i do a re-format

and ya i can still increase it to 9+1 but the problem is that like my 20gig os x partition which i cant access using windows is pretty much useless i dont want the same thing to happen with my linux partition so im a little not sure as to what shud i do ....

these packages how big are they and could u link me to some of the "necessary" packages (prakash sir i want links :D)

vish786

"The Gentleman"
@praka, yes exactly.... even a cd version is more than enough for higher casual user.

@imav,
4+1 is sufficient.
use ext3 parti

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
You can access Linux partitions on Windows using an FS driver (EXT2FS).

And you should choose EXT3 which is basically just EXT2 + Journalling. Avoids fragmentation on your partition.

Edit: Gah, too much attention here. Am out, carry on.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
hey you can access linux partitions through windows using a little software which QwertyManiac mentioned recently so don't worry about it.But I don't know why would you like to access your linux partition through windows.

praka123

left this forum longback
offtopic:what is the use of installing to hdd if u have tried livecd?eh?for a casual user livecd satisfies.if ur not gonna use it why the pain?i never forget what gxsaurav does with starting the same questions and ended up in a "review" again ending up in flamewars.Is it worth for u imav?u shud stick with ur primary os.as u liked it more than anything.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i want to see whats the fuss about and how does 1 become geekier by using linux coz i know for sure u dont become cooler by using os x hell iv used it :D

on a serious note ... i wanna actually try have been thinking of doing it for a long time but decided to dive in now .... so now can i have the links :D

jab maango toh nahin dette jab nahin chahiyeh toh 3-4 aa jate ek post mein :lol:

c'mon guys y being so mean to me its not as if i kicked linus where it hurts :lol:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
AFAIK, you should be able to use Live DVD as a media too if you installed from it. I do surely remember installing build-essentials from the live cd after installation from the same CD.

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ah now thats like a good enough answer .... thanx a lot ... if things go well my next post will be from gutsy gibbon looking forward to compiz fusion if u guys cud list and link some other cool stuff or ur favs in linux please i wanna try it out

and i will be coming here with absolute childish questions so spare me and bear me :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom