Graphics Cards related queries here.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Nvidia 3Dvision is the 3D technology adoptation by Nvidia and Nvdia is the sole developer and distributer of the required hardware and software. With Nvidia 3DVision enabled Gfx card and certified 3D Goggles, one can enjoy 3D entertainment (gaming & Movie) in any 120 Hz based 3D Monitor. Currently 99% of the 3D enabled monitors are basically Nvidia 3DVision enabled display.

AMD HD3D is the 3D technology developed by AMD/ATI but the developement is tot totally from AMD side. Here the hardware implementation of 3D tech has been performed by Nvidia but the 3D has been enabled by the Drivers developed by some 3rd party vendors, AMD's partner companies. Now most of the today's 3D monitors are not supported by HD3D, only some specific monitors from some specific brands like ViewSonic and Acer support HD3D.
But the good thing is any commercial 3D Televison support HD3D technology.

clear_lot

Journeyman
i got a msi gtx580 TFII in RMA replacement for stock gtx 580.

does anyone know if this version has
1. better and more VRM's than the reference gtx580 PCB design
2.the VRM's are cooled by the heatsink

tkin

Back to school!!
i got a msi gtx580 TFII in RMA replacement for stock gtx 580.

does anyone know if this version has
1. better and more VRM's than the reference gtx580 PCB design
2.the VRM's are cooled by the heatsink
None, TFII is the same PCB with the new cooler slapped on, vrm heatsinks may be there(have to google it), but the PCB design is same.

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
Hi,
I am looking for a new graphics Card
I had bought a 8800GT 3 years back and I loved the Card. Unfortunately the card has stopped working now hence the replacement.
I will eventually upgrade my whole PC and am currently looking for a gphcs Card to put into that system. My budget for the card is 15-20k.
After searching I have found out 6950 is a good card in that range.
Should I go for 6950 or the 6970. Is it worth the xtra cash.
Or should i pick up GTX 570.

You can pick 6950 2GB version which is unlockable to a 6970, or a MSI R6970 2GB version at about 19k. Both of them are great cards. Stay away from nvidia's gtx 500 series if you are the type of user who leaves their PC on 24x7. After a week or so the card will start artifacting and requires a complete system cold reboot to work properly again. eVGA's support forum has several users complaining about this. That is the reason I choose AMD even though they have crappy drivers, becoz I leave my PC on 28 days in a month. I don't even remember when I pressed the Shut-down button. lol

Hi,

I have COOler Master eXtreme 600W PSU.
It wouldnt matter because eventually I am going to upgrade my whole system. As my graphics has stoipped working i need 1 immediately. But within the next 2 months I am gonna buy a whole new System, hence I dont care if it wouldnt work to the fullest in the current PSU.
And also to add to my question, how much improvement would be buy another MSI 6950 and put it in Crossfire. By doing this I would eventually shed 30k on gphcs card, so is it better to do this or rather buy a gphcs card of 30k.

Thanks.

The extreme power plus series are well known for their bullshit quality. Buy a decent 80+ certified unit from Corsair, Antec, etc. and then think about a graphics card. Crossfire means more heat generated so make sure you get a properly ventilated case before thinking about crossfire. the HD 6950 CF should be a faster than a reference 580. Anyways if you choose the 6950 you should go for MSI's TFII version.

Guys this is a n00b question... Whats the difference between Nvidia 3D Vision and AMD's HD3D technology :D

Just that nVIDIA's 3D Vision is the real deal, better support on games, etc.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Stay away from nvidia's gtx 500 series if you are the type of user who leaves their PC on 24x7. After a week or so the card will start artifacting and requires a complete system cold reboot to work properly again. eVGA's support forum has several users complaining about this.

Do not post bogus info.

Do post the source were u read that...

Tenida

Gadget Freak
You can pick 6950 2GB version which is unlockable to a 6970, or a MSI R6970 2GB version at about 19k. Both of them are great cards. Stay away from nvidia's gtx 500 series if you are the type of user who leaves their PC on 24x7. After a week or so the card will start artifacting and requires a complete system cold reboot to work properly again. eVGA's support forum has several users complaining about this. That is the reason I choose AMD even though they have crappy drivers, becoz I leave my PC on 28 days in a month. I don't even remember when I pressed the Shut-down button. lol

The extreme power plus series are well known for their bullshit quality. Buy a decent 80+ certified unit from Corsair, Antec, etc. and then think about a graphics card. Crossfire means more heat generated so make sure you get a properly ventilated case before thinking about crossfire. the HD 6950 CF should be a faster than a reference 580. Anyways if you choose the 6950 you should go for MSI's TFII version.

Hey stop posting nonsense...thing :(

Last edited:

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
^^ eVGA's mega thread about this issue:

Artifacts with my GTX 580 (all three of them...)

MORE:

EVGA GTX 560 Ti artifacts

GTX 570 Artifact questions

Here's an official spreadsheet:

*spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Au2XXSyYc4W1dDBkMGxwTTJ3Z0M5Z2VnN01LdXhFbGc&hl=en&authkey=CM67yoIK#gid=0

Some Newegg reviews:

Newegg.com - MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

There are more if you search through the Internet.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is news. Although I haven't use my 6950 24x7, my previous 4850 was used 24x7, never faced any problem. Practically though, in our country, except may be metro cities, rarely you can run your system 24x7 over weeks due to power situation. ;)

Regarding 3D, this article may help:-

Nvidia 3D Vision Vs. AMD HD3D: 18 Games, Evaluated : The State Of 3D Gaming

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ eVGA's mega thread about this issue:

Artifacts with my GTX 580 (all three of them...)

MORE:

EVGA GTX 560 Ti artifacts

GTX 570 Artifact questions

Here's an official spreadsheet:

*spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Au2XXSyYc4W1dDBkMGxwTTJ3Z0M5Z2VnN01LdXhFbGc&hl=en&authkey=CM67yoIK#gid=0

Some Newegg reviews:

Newegg.com - MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

There are more if you search through the Internet.

Where is it written that the cards formed artifacts while running 24/7? Don't just blindly follow threads but believe in actual facts. The guys psu could have been faulty or even underpowered.

This forum has lots of members who are owners of gtx 5 series cards and none of them ever complained of any artifact formation.

Check some amd 6 series artifact formation issues:

BFBC2:Vietnam - 6900 series cards and artifacts - Page 6 - techPowerUp! Forums

6950 & artifacts - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

XFX 6950 1 GB Artifact Issues - techPowerUp! Forums

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Problems arise in every card. Just look at performance/dollar and buy the card. Stop the effin' fanboyism.

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
Where is it written that the cards formed artifacts while running 24/7? Don't just blindly follow threads but believe in actual facts. The guys psu could have been faulty or even underpowered.

This forum has lots of members who are owners of gtx 5 series cards and none of them ever complained of any artifact formation.

Check some amd 6 series artifact formation issues:

BFBC2:Vietnam - 6900 series cards and artifacts - Page 6 - techPowerUp! Forums

6950 & artifacts - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

XFX 6950 1 GB Artifact Issues - techPowerUp! Forums

If go though the whole thread, it is quite clearly stated by many users that the card starts artifacting becoz of 24x7 usage..

Check the 560ti, newegg, spreadsheet, etc.

Quote from the 560ti thread:

My gtx 560 TI is acting exaclty like you! Every 1-2 weeks of 24/7, I would get some crazy artifacts.

Shut down the PC and boom! goooone.

It's annoying so I got a 570 :p

570 thread:

I have the exact same issues with the exact same EVGA GTX 570 SC card. And I agree with revan89, you have to keep the card in the same PC and keep the system powered on for several days before the artifacts show up (at least in my case). The card I have is an RMA replacement for a previous 570 card that caught fire. The current card was fine for the first week, then it slowly got worse and worse till the system was unusable. So I removed the 2nd video card I had in my PC, leaving only the 570 in place. And I did a fresh (clean) install of the latest video drivers. That fixed the problem, but only for about another 3-4 days. Then the problems showed up again. I contacted EVGA and they send me the response below. I tried all their suggestions but nothing fixed. Last night I decided to switch cards with another PC. Of course it works FINE in the other PC, at least for initial benchmarks and OC scanner which finds no artifacts. But I expect to see problems coming up again in a few days.

P.S I don't want to argue anymore. I am not an AMD fanboy. I have used 4 nVIDIA cards earlier, have loved them. When purchasing the 500 series I saw several reviews on newegg about the artifacting issue, on further research I found out the reason behind it. Besides those who shutdown/restart their PC everyday have nothing to worry about. I don't because its working all day/month/year and I don't face through power problems (may be once or twice in a year). Btw its not a one day thing, it will eventually develop the bug after a week or two. Or maybe it won't occur at all. Depends.

tkin

Back to school!!

*www.lolforumpictures.com/orly/orly.gif

I don't even ..............

cyxgoku

Right off the assembly line
Hi Guys,

Well I am planning to buy a GPU between the price range 6-8k.
I need some suggestions, also if i some hint regarding the current prices would be great. ;-)

I have:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
GigaByte GA 880GM-USB
4GB Corsair DDR3 1333Mhz
CM 650W GX
CM Elite 430
22" LED Monitor
APC 600VA

d3p

PowerHouse
@rajnusker: I own a Palit 570 SP & i used to run the PC for more than 24x7 without a single restart or reboot. I never had a single issue with it, until unless power cuts off.

Eventually few people around here had lot of issues with HD Radeon Cards, because of Heatings & driver issues. Its slowly getting solved with latest driver patches, game patches or something similar.

But one thing i can highlight over here is, having a original/genuine game copy is anyday better w.r.t support & latest patches, instead of using some buggy cracked contents & later complain/suspect the hardware. Other hand owning a big powerful card or SLI with under rated PSU's are also the big culprits for such cases. So blaming only the NVIDIA's or RADEON won't solve such hickups.

@CYXGOKU: Fetch another 1.2-1.5k & get a MSI HD6850.

cyxgoku

Right off the assembly line
@d3p5kor: any other options or shld i wait for 7x series of ATI.
which gfx would you prefer for this config other than MSI HD6850?

Cilus

laborare est orare
For gaming in Full HD (1920X1080) resolution, HD 6850/GTX 460 1 GB is minimum to have decent FPS in demanding games. So increase your budget to get HD 6850. Other option is fetching a Sapphire HD 6870 1 GB @ 10.8K + Vat, best for Full HD gaming at your budget.

d3p

PowerHouse
^^ Awesome Cilus, that's a complete VFM Card at that price point of view.
If you don't mind, can you please post the link of the store, at which its priced at 10.8k.

@cyxgoku: Go for Sapphire 6870 1GB, if you can push your budget to 10.8k.

Top Bottom