Graphics Cards related queries here.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

SLI is not more superior to crossfire, specially now that crossfire scales pretty well, only advantage of sli is that it has out of the box support for most games, ati on the other hand requires application profile updates, which suck by the way.

HD6970 will most likely be beat by GTX580 by 5-10%, I wonder how nVidia will counter HD6990, if they put two HD6950 gpus in them(I think HD6970x2 is not possible due to pcie power limit of 300w, HD5870 draws 188w at load, so it was possible for HD5970 to be built, but HD6970 has tdp of 225w at least).

Can you justify your statement "HD6970 will most likely be beat by GTX580 by 5-10%". The card is not out yet and is most likely a refined 5870 with lesser power consumption or a wee bit more.
First it has to knock the gtx 480 in terms of performance before setting eyes on gtx 580. But surely 69xx will take the competionto the next level and definitely raise the bar.

@ jaskanwar

Gtx 460 performs on par with 6850 and the former has cuda , physx and 3d but ati also has 3d support in its 6 series gpu's.

Owing to single gpu , sli 2Xgtx 580 is currently the fastest out there and is actually more practically feasible than 2X5970 due to lower wattage consumption.

But i do agree that 2x6870 is great vfm for performance users due to low price compared to a gtx 580 sli.

Piyush

Lanaya

@ jaskanwar

Gtx 460 performs on par with 6850 and the former has cuda , physx and 3d but ati also has 3d support in its 6 series gpu's.

Owing to single gpu , sli 2Xgtx 580 is currently the fastest out there and is actually more practically feasible than 2X5970 due to lower wattage consumption.

But i do agree that 2x6870 is great vfm for performance users due to low price compared to a gtx 580 sli.

which 460 are u talkin about?
if its 768 version...then its behind 6850 in all benchmarks
and regardind 1gb version it too lags against 6850 by a magin of few frames in most benchmarks
u can look it at urself

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist

@ jaskanwar

check this out - AMD?s Radeon HD 6870 & 6850: Renewing Competition in the Mid-Range Market - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

i said the same that 2X GTX580 will be better but remember SLI and CF of these cards are useful at only highest resolutions.
HIS Radeon HD 5970 CrossFire Review - Page 1/28 | techPowerUp

tkin

Back to school!!

Can you justify your statement "HD6970 will most likely be beat by GTX580 by 5-10%". The card is not out yet and is most likely a refined 5870 with lesser power consumption or a wee bit more.
First it has to knock the gtx 480 in terms of performance before setting eyes on gtx 580. But surely 69xx will take the competionto the next level and definitely raise the bar.

@ jaskanwar

I am just reading speculations that its a 15xx shader part, so unless its a brand new architecture its hard for HD6970 to beat GTX580 which is about 25-30% faster than HD5870, getting 30% performance increase out of rv870 architecture without a die shrink seems impossible, but I've been wrong before.

pranav_p60

Broken In

HD5670 512MB from sapphire.

Another good one to look for is 9800GT 512MB though you will need a good psu for this.

BTW, what PSu do you have - brand name and wattage ?

I dont know the wattage and brand of PSU.
My earlier Card was 7600GT from XFX.

for around 5k, you can get a nvidia gt430.
ati card - radeon hd 5570.
if you can spend 7k, get a nvidia gts450 or ati radeon hd5750.

I need something below 5k.

Last edited:

vwad

In the zone

How good is HD 6850 1GB for video capturing, editing, encoding as against GTX 460 1GB ?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

How good is HD 6850 1GB for video capturing, editing, encoding as against GTX 460 1GB ?

GTX460 is slightly slower than HD6850. If you want to use PhysX and CUDA or do encoding etc on linux, better get GTX460. If you are not much into gaming, I would suggest you to look for workstation class GPUs for video editing and encoding work. With a budget of 12k-13k, you can get really good GPU like ATI Fire V5600.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot

HD 6850 and GTX 460 1G are almost on par. But HD 6850 has a slight edge in Specifications. And these are in a position where optimization plays a major role.

And yes, CUDA will help encoding your videos, but ATI has their own Avivo under the sleeve for media encoding. And these days.. ATI is coming back with game optimizations like Mass effect 2, Dragon Age, Dawn of war, etc. Not to mention Havoc is being extensively used these days because of it's compatibility than Nvidia Physx.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

@ jaskanwar

Hmmm the 6850 really performs well and if it costs less than gtx 460 1gb then it definitely can be recommended in lieu of the 460. But if cuda or physx matters then 460 is the card to buy but i guess they hardly matter. If its 10k then 6850 is the way to go.

@ tkin
Gtx 580 is some 20-30% faster than its predecessor i.e the 480. So i guess its even faster than 5870. Unless AMD does some serious modifications to the cypress architecture its going to be tough to beat fermi. Only time will tell the decider after both cayman and antilles be launched.

vwad

In the zone

GTX460 is slightly slower than HD6850. If you want to use PhysX and CUDA or do encoding etc on linux, better get GTX460. If you are not much into gaming, I would suggest you to look for workstation class GPUs for video editing and encoding work. With a budget of 12k-13k, you can get really good GPU like ATI Fire V5600.

HD 6850 and GTX 460 1G are almost on par. But HD 6850 has a slight edge in Specifications. And these are in a position where optimization plays a major role.

And yes, CUDA will help encoding your videos, but ATI has their own Avivo under the sleeve for media encoding. And these days.. ATI is coming back with game optimizations like Mass effect 2, Dragon Age, Dawn of war, etc. Not to mention Havoc is being extensively used these days because of it's compatibility than Nvidia Physx.

Thanks a lot for these inputs bros.

@desiibond, Even I was thinking about Firepro V4800, but the problem is I am a bit skeptical about its resale value in my subsequent upgrade. :eek:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!

Thanks a lot for these inputs bros.

@desiibond, Even I was thinking about Firepro V4800, but the problem is I am a bit skeptical about its resale value in my subsequent upgrade. :eek:

yes. that's one problem. among the two, pick GTX460 :)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

^^

Yes Gtx 460 can handle tasks other than gaming better than 6850. I
think thats what you mean right?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...

^^ go for gtx 460 buddy.
when tesselation bcomes the norm, it will perform better than 6850.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

^^ go for gtx 460 buddy.
when tesselation bcomes the norm, it will perform better than 6850.

but i feel when tessellation becomes the norm, we may see GTX660 or so. i mean Nvidia 6-series. cause most games are still sticking to PhysX at BEST. cause if they make a game heavily relied on tessellation, the 90% or more of gaming community with cards that are fairly weak in tessellation may never buy that game.

tkin

Back to school!!

To use tessellation properly game engines must be re written from scratch, like unreal engine 4, and since consoles are stuck @ dx9 era that won't happen till 2012 at least, so dx11 will end up another halo product like dx10 was(if microsoft stick to schedule and releases win 8 with DX12 on 2012).

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
Tessellation is available on PC versions. I think METRO was doing it. Provided you run it on Dx11 codepath.

tkin

Back to school!!

^^
Tessellation is available on PC versions. I think METRO was doing it. Provided you run it on Dx11 codepath.
Metro 2033 tessellation does absolutely nothing, more over it only applies tess to the characters, the only feature that separates DX9 from 11 is ao and it's just locked out of DX9 so dx11 looks a bit different, my friend played metro 2033 in my house and he said he couldn't see any difference between the two modes(except a softness caused by ao, motion blur etc that was locked out of dx9). So tessellation serves no purpose till now, may change later but certainly not now.

PS: Crysis does not use tessellation but at any moment there are about 1.5 million polygons on screens in crysis, and its still the best looking game, there are a lot of thing you can do with DX9, dx11 adds nothing significant to table, pcs already have enough horsepower to run good looking game without tessellation,, that tech was originally used in consoles, its a console tech useful for low end gpus.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
You telling me that there is hardly any significant image quality difference between Dx9 vs. Dx11. It causes quite a bit of depth and angular adjustments. Not saying your friend was lying, but it depends on resolution and attention to detail.

The reason Crysis is still the best champion (and runner up) in the graphics department because the engine renders everything in real time. Plus way back when launched it had occlusion mapping and DoF, RToD built in in.

Check out the difference here. Polygon count goes up vastly when rendered on Dx11.

Top Bottom