Graphics Cards related queries here.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

@ LeeRain - why you've re-posted my earlier post ??!!!

@ gourav.gunjan - rest assured that you will not get HD5750 @ 6 k anywhere in here - better get a HD5670 512MB @ ~ 5.5k or else extend your budget a little more - say 8.5-9k.

BTW, as cilus has asked what psu you are using - brand name and wattage ??

@ r4gs - your friend will need a good psu .

For gfx card along with a good PSU try getting Gigabyte Superb 460W @ 2.2K along with Palit GTS 250 512MB GDDr3 @ 6k.

r4gs

In the zone

Its a very tight budget. Isn't there a cheaper card that will run on just the pcie wattage? Something like a half height card? Ati 4670 or equivalent? He'll even be satisfied with an 8600gt but i think that card is a bit too old.

prateekdwivedi1

The Game.

Hi
i'm planning to buy dell studio 15 and it has a hd 5470
can someone please tell will it be enough to play all latest games at medium settings
if possible please tell game names with approx frame rate
and if i lower the resolution and then max out the settings will the performance improve

r4gs

In the zone

You will be able to play every single game that has been released, albeit at lower settings. I recommend that you run the games at native resolution with lower settings. Lcd monitors can give very blurry images at lower resolution which will cancel out the advantage of higher settings.

You can probably get smooth performance at medium settings with no anti-aliasing and vsync. You can also dial down settings like motion blur and hdr/bloom which will save some processing grunt.

rohit_iitb

Right off the assembly line
Please suggest Graphics Card upto Rs. 12K

I am looking to spend Rs. 10K to 12K to upgrade the graphics card keeping rest of the components same.

I am using 2x 24 Inches Benq g2420 HD Monitors (Dual Monitor Extended Desktop Setup) each at resolution 1920x1080 (x2)

Current System (3 year old)
Graphics: XFX Nvidia 7900 GS 256 MB DDR3
Proccy: Intel Core2Duo E6750 2.66 GHz, 1333 FSB
Mobo: XFX NVidia 650i Ultra Motherboard 1333 FSB
RAM: 4 GB (1 GB x4) Kingston Value Ram DDR2 800 MHz
SMPS: Gigabyte Superb 460 W
HDD: WD 500 GB Blue x2

Others:
OS Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit (planning to upgrade to 64 bit)
Cabinet CM690

Also, any other small upgrades/ tweaks that can improve performance of my aging system?

Want to do moderate gaming(NFS) and run Win7 with all effects on. HD movie playback and encode.

pulsar_swift

Youngling

12K budget is insufficient. I think you need a powerful GFX card for driving a dual monitor setup. It might require PSU upgrade also.

r4gs

In the zone

Windows 7 shouldn't be much of a problem on any half decent g card. However, you really will need a psu upgrade before a g card.
Any mid range card should be enough for your system. None of the newer games will run at full settings even with a single monitor though.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Re: Please suggest Graphics Card upto Rs. 12K

I am looking to spend Rs. 10K to 12K to upgrade the graphics card keeping rest of the components same.

I am using 2x 24 Inches Benq g2420 HD Monitors (Dual Monitor Extended Desktop Setup) each at resolution 1920x1080 (x2)

Others:
Cabinet CM690

Also, any other small upgrades/ tweaks that can improve performance of my aging system?

Want to do moderate gaming(NFS) and run Win7 with all effects on. HD movie playback and encode.

sell the PSU + old card. and get these:

FSP Saga II 500W & MSI HD5770 HAWX. ATI Eyefinity at your doorstep.

total cost: 2.8+9.6 = 12.4k or get HD5830 if you can get into your budget.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Others:
Cabinet CM690

If you want to game multi monitor at HD mode, you need dual cards. Based on your system.

1. You have an nForce chipset. So only SLI can run for dual cards.
2. Your processor is too weak to support dual cards -- optimized.
3. PSU is too weak to support SLI also.

You can either, game at single monitor or change your whole system setup. Also be aware of this:
Be absolute sure that your chipset will support an ATI card (if you get one), there have been cases of the new ATI cards not working on nForce, or you could say nForce not working with the HD58xx series.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

If you want to game multi monitor at HD mode, you need dual cards. Based on your system.

1. You have an nForce chipset. So only SLI can run for dual cards.
2. Your processor is too weak to support dual cards -- optimized.
3. PSU is too weak to support SLI also.

You can either, game at single monitor or change your whole system setup. Also be aware of this:
Be absolute sure that your chipset will support an ATI card (if you get one), there have been cases of the new ATI cards not working on nForce, or you could say nForce not working with the HD58xx series.

thanks for informing - it would be great if you can point me to some links related to this issue.

Does nvidia cards has same "issue" with ati chipset based mobos or it's just a driver or bios issue which can be fixed by upgrading thr drivers or bios??

as far as I know that earlier nvidia physyx was not working on ati chipset based mobos - but it's fixed now , right ?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

Here is one case where the ATI card could not work with an nForce (780i) chipset, even after the BIOS was flashed. Regarding PhysX, that it started to work with ATI cards being primary, that was a broken Forceware driver. nVidia has put in the fix.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ thanks buddy.

but at reading taurius1 posts I think his mobo went kaput due to a faulty bios upgrade - let me see if I can find more links related to this issue.

I once bought a ATI RS480 chipset based mobo which was not working with Nvidia Fx5500 gfx card - I mean after installing the driver the display went into black and white mode and the resolution and pictures were also of low quality - I tried even updated drivers - next day the mobo went kaput and I replaced it with some other stuffs.

search completed - conclusion there really some issue with ATI 5xxx series cards and nforce chipsets though with a bios update ATI 5xxx series cards may work with nforce chipsets but only one lucky guy got his HD5850 working without even a bios update :p

read these :

*boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=218420
*www.tomshardware.com/forum/275321-30-problems-nforce-730i-radeon-5850-post-time-temp
*www.tomshardware.com/forum/274993-33-5850-boot-delay
*vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20091020075948734&board_id=1&model=P5N-E+SLI&SLanguage=en-us&page=3

Seems like most of the guys have long POST issue and some guys have fixed it with latest bios update

what old nforce chipset based mobo owners can do now is to pray to ATi so
that they release a bios update for newer 5xxx series cards

here some guy has some success :
*www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643081

CoolerMaster 1000W REAL POWER PRO PSU
Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz S775
Technology 4x2GB 240DIMM PC2-6400 Gold
Western Digital 500GB Caviar Blue SATA-300 7200rpm 16MB x2
XFX S775 nForce 680i SLI ATX A L
XFX HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 HDMI DVI Display Port Out PCI-E
Cooler Master Stacker 830 (with a lot of cooling)

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
He did mention that his flash went successful. Ideally he should have rolled back....!

All now depends on motherboard manufacturers releasing a new BIOS, I doubt nVidia cares a damn though.

@topgear

Bro can u plz help me understand this ERROR report

12c3_appcompat.txt - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

Plz plz Decode this!!!

THX

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

^^ your GTA IV game is not working - right or it's crashing after starting the game ??

Try to patch the game to the latest version and download latest gfx card drivers from nvidia.

BTW, on which OS you are running this game ?

here's is the patch and download link :

Grand Theft Auto IV Patch 1.0.7.0
*updates.rockstargames.com/patches/gtaiv/title_update_7_EN.zip

@ asigh - yep a new bios update release is really needed.

@ KaranTh85 - bilinear & trilinear filtering is a part of Texture filtering - more information can be found on by following these links :

Texture filtering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Texture filtering

Bilinear filtering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Trilinear filtering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Anisotropic filtering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

asingh

Aspiring Novelist

^^
I think I wrote this before.

Anistropic Filtering (AF):
Is used to enhance the quality of 'textures' in images. It is used to show greater details at angles which are distant or oblique to the viewer. For example a farm house really far away. This is with respect to the camera and not actually the polygon. This takes up a huge amount of memory bandwidth. Lower resolution textures are used for objects that are further away from the camers (read player), to show the affect of distance.

To quicken this process a logic of 'mipmapping' is used. For example if a window is rendered using 256x256 pixels. Now you want to show this window at a distance, what does one do. It makes the window smaller in size --- but why use 256x256 pixels again..? So a shrunk version with a high quality filter is used. Any many such textures are 'stored' at run time, and re used over and over again. But this involves a lot of calculations and is resourceful on the GPU.

Now another issue arises. With so many mipmaps, when they are joined together, the 'joins' will not look nice. You will get uneven surfaces as distance is varied. We will see this as artifacts. This is corrected by using Trilinear filtering, in this method each mipmap is filtered along x-y axis but also with respect to the mipmap next to it. So as the angle is changed the AF will start to vary.

You have a good GPU. Try to run games, with these setting as a variable, you will start to see a difference. To notice AA, look closely at edges (no linear). And to notice AF look at distant objects. Yes these are important. They are the eye-candy drivers, and vary the performance of the game.

Of course Trilinear is better, but is more taxing.

Top Bottom