Graphics Cards related queries here.

mavihs

Techie By Heart
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

Is it worth 2 buy a second hand BIG 7600GS (factory overclocked)????
How much should i pay for it???

sanjay_111

Broken In

I have been wanting to know which card would suit me with the constraint that SMPS is rated only 300 W. 8500 GT needs min 350 W.

From earlier posts, I can make out 7300 is a good choice. But is there anything anyone knows between 7300 and 8500 which is better but will fit into my comp (x 16 PCI - E) ? I want the config to last for some time before it becomes outdated.

Right now I have integrated Xpress 200 with which Company of Heroes is quite choppy.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?

ƒire$eeker said:
Is it worth 2 buy a second hand BIG 7600GS (factory overclocked)????
How much should i pay for it???
I know which card you are talking about.I think anything more than 3k would be stupidity.2.5-2.8 should be enough considering new one is available for around 4.5k and yes 8600 is available for 5.5k.

sanjay_111 said:
I have been wanting to know which card would suit me with the constraint that SMPS is rated only 300 W. 8500 GT needs min 350 W.

From earlier posts, I can make out 7300 is a good choice. But is there anything anyone knows between 7300 and 8500 which is better but will fit into my comp (x 16 PCI - E) ? I want the config to last for some time before it becomes outdated.

Right now I have integrated Xpress 200 with which Company of Heroes is quite choppy.

Dude a zebronics basic 400w smps is available for 500 bucks so no reasong to go for 7300 if you can afford 8500 but I recommend 8600gt(5.5k-6k).

Last edited:

sanjay_111

Broken In

Devil,

Thanks for your reply. Two points:

1. I was reluctant to replace SMPS since it kills manufacturer's warranty. But will do it if it is best option.

2. What is the difference between 8600 and 8500 ? I spoke to a distributor at Kolkata who said there is no EXTRA value in 8600 unless I use Adobe Photoshop. 8500 will last at least 3 years if all I do is play games.

Will welcome comments from all on this

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart

sanjay_111 said:
What is the difference between 8600 and 8500 ? I spoke to a distributor at Kolkata who said there is no EXTRA value in 8600 unless I use Adobe Photoshop. 8500 will last at least 3 years if all I do is play games.

He is an idiot.Even the 8800Ultra won't last three years studying nvidia's approach,the 8800Ultra SLI will give better performance only at 1024*768 and only on nvidia optimized games.This is the Harsh truth,with pc new hardware always beats the old hardware by a wide range.
8600GT is a way better performer than the 8500GT Due to the increment of Stream Processors from 16 to 32 in games.
Go for 8600GT if u can.
And always ask the price of Computer products from distributer as u did because the dealers might cheat u.

sanjay_111

Broken In

If I may be permitted to harp on this a little - I do not understand the innards of a graphics card. I want to know how u sense the difference when u play a game with high end graphics, between 8500 and 8600.

Looks like I will have to change SMPS.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart

sanjay_111 said:
If I may be permitted to harp on this a little - I do not understand the innards of a graphics card. I want to know how u sense the difference when u play a game with high end graphics, between 8500 and 8600.

Looks like I will have to change SMPS.

The stream processors are unified shader processors which execute shader instructions.Since newer games are more shader intensive more Stream Processors=More performance.

sanjay_111

Broken In

Thanks for your reply, Harvy. It will really help.

But just for my knowledge, if I had to restrict the purchase of graphics card to one with 250 or 300 W power supply requirement, which would be the best choice ?

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart

sanjay_111 said:
Thanks for your reply, Harvy. It will really help.

But just for my knowledge, if I had to restrict the purchase of graphics card to one with 250 or 300 W power supply requirement, which would be the best choice ?
8400GS.There's a review of this video card in the reviews section by @choto Cheeta
I am giving the link.

Here's the link-
Quick Look At 8400GS

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?

But don't even think of playing latest games on 8400gs.Its just good enough for Vista and HD videos.
2. What is the difference between 8600 and 8500 ? I spoke to a distributor at Kolkata who said there is no EXTRA value in 8600 unless I use Adobe Photoshop. 8500 will last at least 3 years if all I do is play games.
This is one of the stupidest thing I heard in recent times I mean WTF is this Photoshop thing.Dude the seller is trying to dupe you be careful.Confirm your model no. and price and then insist on purchasing that card only.

My recommendations(final):
1.Change your smps(and I think it doesn't void your warranty)
2.get a 8600gt

total:around 6.5k.

hash!!

________

sanjay_111 said:
Devil,

Thanks for your reply. Two points:

1. I was reluctant to replace SMPS since it kills manufacturer's warranty. But will do it if it is best option.

hehh... yeaah dude... that guy doesnt know jack$hit and is doin what all computer hardware dealers do best in and around india - ripping you off... :)
photoshop cs3's come out with a "use gpu" option, which in my opionion, doesnt make that big a difference... and well, with softwares like 3ds max and maya unlimited, photoshop's performance the last thing i'd quote on a gfx card's muscle... and lastly, 8600 is better... well, if you dont understand the specs of the card, i reckon i'd go with the one thats commonsense... 8500 + 100 = 8600... :D hehh.. im just too lame... :)

utsav

damn busy...

which AGP card to buy to run NFS Most wanted at max settings at 1024*768.

i want AGP not PCI e

Top Bottom