Graphics Cards related queries here.

xbonez

NP : Crysis
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

there's this member on this forum gannu_rox. i bought a coolermaster 120mm chassis fan from him. i remember at that time he was menioning that he wanted to sell one of his antec pci gfx coolers (like thos above). i wanted to take it from him, but i didn't have any free pci slot. he was selling it for about rs. 600. i think he bought it from somewhere in india only. you could ask him

hash!!

________

@ harvik... ahh well, rivatuner did the trick... i guess the independant control was the culprit... i set the fan speed to 100% default... played battlefield 2142 for half an hour or sumthn at 1024x768, all sliders maxxed, and 4x aa... enabled the nvidia monitor logging and the max temp was 72, avg was 67-68..
edit: tried nfsmw too... max settings, like all sliders to the extreme left, and the avg temp was again 67-68... brilliant $hit... :D
thats good aint it? :) thanks a ton, man... :)

xbonez said:
there's this member on this forum gannu_rox. i bought a coolermaster 120mm chassis fan from him. i remember at that time he was menioning that he wanted to sell one of his antec pci gfx coolers (like thos above). i wanted to take it from him, but i didn't have any free pci slot. he was selling it for about rs. 600. i think he bought it from somewhere in india only. you could ask him

dayum... 600 bucks is a steal for a few degrees less lol... could you possibly get me his contact?

Last edited:

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer

if not available here my best bet is to get from abroad

xbonez

@hash : he's a member of this forum. PM him. also, i've set my fan load to 70% using riva tuner. can i increase it to 100% permanently without causing any damage??

hash!!

________

xbonez said:
@hash : he's a member of this forum. PM him. also, i've set my fan load to 70% using riva tuner. can i increase it to 100% permanently without causing any damage??

ahh well, harvik said its alright to do so... im not quite the authority on that cause its only after he told me about the rivatuner that i set the default speed to 100%...
and well, i reckon it might reduce the life of the fan, or suck up more electricity... i guess thats why the manufacturers set a variable speed rather than a constant speed... :)
i guess its alright to keep it to variable at idle conditions and speed it up to a 100% before gameplay to maintain performance...thats what i think, dunno if that'd help... :)

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart

To clarify ur doubts the fan is set to throttel only at default because hardware developers wanted to decrease noise levels.I am member of nvidia forums and the members of that forum recommended me to do this.
:)

xbonez

by what i've read above, i think it is. i'll set it to 95% just to be safe. i dn't give a damn about sound levels

quadroplex780

Maximum Fame

If the fan shipped with the hardware would brake easily why would hardware vendors add fan control support onto their chips yes there is a fan controller on the 8800 and the Overclocked versions of the cards have a higher default fan speed and note that by increasing the fan speed of the card u increase its life by lowering the temps.(I do not recommend the stock cooler if u are ocing but for stock speeds).

Stalker

Padawan

i'm using Everest to monitor the temperatures.....

At idle(Vista Aero), my GPU diode is at a constant 66 C.....with the Auto 60% fan(~1700 rpm)
using Rivatuner, if i increase my fan speed to 100%(~2900 rpm), the GPU diode drops down to 59-58 C.

but by reading the above posts, i have some questions
1. as hash!! said, will increasing the fan speed suck up more power??

2. Is it safe for the GPU fan to constantly run at 100%? coz we are doing these changes using a third-party software( in this case Rivatuner) & not from nvidia's driver control panel.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart

Stalker said:
i'm using Everest to monitor the temperatures.....

At idle(Vista Aero), my GPU diode is at a constant 66 C.....with the Auto 60% fan(~1700 rpm)
using Rivatuner, if i increase my fan speed to 100%(~2900 rpm), the GPU diode drops down to 59-58 C.

but by reading the above posts, i have some questions
1. as hash!! said, will increasing the fan speed suck up more power??

2. Is it safe for the GPU fan to constantly run at 100%? coz we are doing these changes using a third-party software( in this case Rivatuner) & not from nvidia's driver control panel.

1. The Products come with a minimum recommended power requirement and amperage on 12V rail.This minimum is set accordingly keeping in mind with the fact that the fans will throttle.Yes increasing the Fan speed will increase the power consumption but until u are not running the system on lower power than recommended u will not face any problems.
2. All over the net its been stated that rivatuner is the best software for tweaks and is old and reliable now,the author of rivatuner is an expert in what he does in my opinion.Also the quality of components used on nvidia products from good companies like XFX,MSI,ASUS,EVGA(exception from me are chaintech and zebronics)is excellent.The fans made to throttle are of very good quality and are made to run at full rpm without getting weared out.

hash!!

________

yeaah... i couldnt be bothered by this now... as it is, im keepin myself from overclocking this card, now i cant get my pc to run hot cause i dont wanna set the default speed to a 100%...
theres a major difference... at 100%, temperature's stable at 59-61, idle and 69-72 under load...
at auto, the temperature just shoots up like crazy... i mean 66 when idle, and 76-80 under load!
so yeaah... im goin with a 100%... :)

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer

whats the maximum temperature under load that is safe? 88 C?

vinaych

Broken In

(I have posted this in some other thread.. sorry for that!)

Hi all,
I have a 845 Intel Chipset (no AGP)
Therefore, I want to buy a PCI Graphics card..

I've checked out GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB) card.. it is costing 1650/-

1) I want to know if there are any other good PCI based cards available??

2) Well, there is ATI Radeon 9250, but I have no idea, if it is any better than the FX 5200.. please shed some light on this too..

Thank you,
Vinay.

p_d5010

Journeyman

Hi,
I am having an xfx 8600gt (1 week Old) ...the idle temperature it gives at stock is 61-62 deg. while after running 3dmark 2006 at 1280 resolution, the max temperature of card shoots to 85 deg. celcius.
Is this safe, or should i try to install graphics card cooler like antec vcool ?
Or as my card is just 5 days old, should i ask for a replacement?

Arkantos.G

Right off the assembly line

Please tell me more about NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 onboard graphics card. I am unable to play NFS Carbon with high graphics.

xbonez

dude, the 6100 is onboard. it isn't meant to play games on high, especially games like 6100. u'll just about be able to play the new games at low settings. if u're a serius gamer and would like to play all the latest games, u're supposed to invest in a dedicated gfx card

Top Bottom