Graphics Cards related queries here.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

umm harvy so ur suggesting that i not overclock, right
anyways one more question i have this ati radeon xpress 200 onboard
it has 256mb of memory and i shared 256 more to make it 512mb of texture memory so whats better
1gb+256 video
or
768mb+512mb video

p_d5010

Journeyman

hey yesterday my friend bought 8600gt and has 2.6ghz single core p4 processor........the card 8600gt give roughly 20 fps on high settings with shadows on medium and textures on medium........really disappointing score :|
Hope it runs well on my amd 3000+

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

@entrana
setting 512MB for onboard GFX is of no gud. Seting it at 128 MB is da best as 256 Mb wont be used as the bottleneck is da GPU and not the video memory.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer

i see, but i think it does help with some framerates as it has more texture memory

ya 1 more thing dya guys know how to use ddr2 ram as memory for gfx
like im getting 320mb 8800gts, and i want to 512 in it to make it better
how is there an option or something, wud it help?

Last edited:

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart

entrana said:
i see, but i think it does help with some framerates as it has more texture memory

ya 1 more thing dya guys know how to use ddr2 ram as memory for gfx
like im getting 320mb 8800gts, and i want to 512 in it to make it better
how is there an option or something, wud it help?
In earlier days u could give AGP aperture size to ur AGP or onboard GFX which used agp lanes.However with newer pci-express video cards its not possible.But the lower end segment from nvidia does support turbocache which allows u to add additional ram to ur pci-express video card.Its however not possible for the 8800 series.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

@entrana
512 MB for x200 is no gud than 128 Mb. The problem is not about storing those textures, but the GPU can't process so much textures. So its useless to give so much memory for texture which never gonna be filled above 128/256.
But ur system ram will be more if u set it 128, then it has greater advantage.
Ull have faster game loading and less lags.
Never turn on AA, AF, triple buffering, and mip mapping[set to lowest] on ATI Cpanel.

Also ur GPU natively dun have memory, but the shown 256 is da " hyper memory" which id dynamically allocated at time of GPU load. Its value can't be changed unless uve total RAM less than 256MB. So set another 128 as shared. So the actual shared is 128 and if the GPU wants, then itll use another 256 also, and if not needed, itll work as system ram. So u see it is useless to share more than 128.

Ive benchmarked my onboard ATI X1250 setting it 128 Mb and 256 MB and the result is somewhat same, but the loading was much better when it was at 128.

HELP FOR 8800 GTX......
I bought 8800gtx xxx 768 mb bt when i ran vista the drivers which came wid graphic card didnt work and the warning came "get drivers from xfxforce.com"
bt when i went to the website the drivers were corrupt.is there any 1 here who has the same card and is running vista ultimate.
THANKS FOR ANY HELP:)

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart

niraj trehan said:
HELP FOR 8800 GTX......
I bought 8800gtx xxx 768 mb bt when i ran vista the drivers which came wid graphic card didnt work and the warning came "get drivers from xfxforce.com"
bt when i went to the website the drivers were corrupt.is there any 1 here who has the same card and is running vista ultimate.
THANKS FOR ANY HELP:)
Download the drivers from here-
*www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

B

bigdaddy486

hey, can anyone plz tell me which is the graphics card with 512mb ram, i mean, DDR, DDR2, GDDR, GDDR2,GDDR3. i don't care what type the ram is. which is and what's the price?

spikygv

Wise Old Owl

bigdaddy486 said:
hey, can anyone plz tell me which is the graphics card with 512mb ram, i mean, DDR, DDR2, GDDR, GDDR2,GDDR3. i don't care what type the ram is. which is and what's the price?

the nature of gpu matters a lot more than just mem.

gulgulumaal

Broken In
Would a 8500GT be too much for my PC?

Hi,

I have a Pentium D 2.8 Ghz dual core processor + ASUS LD2VMSE Mobo with 1GB DDR2 RAM. I'm a casual gamer..I play games only once in a while..mostly racing games like NFS. I dont play FPS games and stuff.

Now I'm not able to play NFS carbon with my current setup (onboard graphics - intel 945 chipset) , so I'm considering buying a graphics card. My budget is not fixed, but I wouldnt want to spend too much on a graphics card.

I was considering a 8600GT but looks like with my current system and my very little gaming usage it would be too much. Planning to settle for an XFX 8500GT for around 4,600 in Trivandrum. I know 8500GT is not a very powerful card, but it seems to be good VFM and would be enough for my gaming.

But given my processor(non Core2 Duo)/mobo/RAM, do u think this card would overkill?..should I go for a lower card like 8400 or something?

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer

no 8500gt would be fine, but dont expect good graphic support and good framerates with this its ur choice, live with it cuz its really really bad
8600gt should suffice for a long time so i suggest u go with that. u have fine specs for 8600gt, is ur cpu pentium d or core 2 duo. make sure u have a pciexpress 16 slot and a good smps. id suggest cooler master 600wats smps worth 4k its pretty stable

gulgulumaal

Broken In

Mine is not Core2 duo, but dual core Pentium D. Yes I have a PCIe slot and my cabinet/SMPS is from iBall..400W if I remember correctly. And..no..I dont intend to go for a an SMPS worth 4k ...thank u :)

BTW I know that compared to 8600GT 8500GT is not so good, and that it has half the number of SPs and has limited features, but I'm wondering if the price difference is really worth the money given my limited gaming. XFX 8500GT is 4,600 and XFX 8600GT is around 7k, so that's a cool 2.5K difference.

I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means but if spending the extra 2.5K would make an appreciable difference in my gaming experience I dont mind spending the extra money. It's not like I dont have the money to spend, I'm just thinking whether it's worth the amount.

Also the question is if I go for a 8600GT would the rest of my system be able to keep up with it?. Coz I saw an earlier post that someone's 2.6Ghz single core system was not able to run latest games at high frame rates even with a 8600GT card.I dont want to end up in a situation like that.

Ok I guess I'm not like your typical gamer boy who wants the fastest and latest hardware :) Something that gets me going is fine.

Also regarding SMPS, a 400W unit should be ok for 8500GT/8600GT right?. Do I really need a higher rated unit?. Also my cabinet is Mini ATX so things could get a little cramped :) But there's a CPU chimney and 2 cabinet fans to get things cool

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

@bigdaddy486
There is 7300GT 512MB DDR3 and 7600GS 512MB DDR2
They are for 4.5k and 5.5k.

gulgulumaal

Broken In

Hmm...after going through the forum for some time and reading all the reviews, it really starts to look like everyone hates the 8500GT :(

If that card is really that bad, then I think I'll stick with 8600GT @ Rs 7k. I hope I could consider the extra 2.5K spent as a part of future proofing.

But guys, please tell me this, would a 8600GT run fine with a Pentium D (not Core2 Duo) 2.8 Gig/1GB DDR2 and a 400W iBall SMPS ?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

and mr.Gulugulumal [nut askin about Lottilodukku] there is a lot difference b/w 8500GT nd 8600GT. 8500GT can onle be called a DX10 card, even lower priced 7 series card outperforms it.
see this to get an idea bout the card's perfomance.
*img515.imageshack.us/img515/9100/856855318ik1.th.png

An 8500GT can't even handle todays games at moderate level? then what bout future games at least those gonna released withion 1 yr?

I admit that even 8600GT won't be able to handle all at moderate lavels, but much much better than 8500GT.
An 8600GT is for 6.5k and defenitely worth it.

Yup, an 8600GT on ur system won't be an overkill for system . For such a proccy to be bottleneck u must get atb least 8800GTS 320. Todays games must need a dual core nd u have it. Relax dude, its enuf, its only downside is high heat generation.
Get some 50 bucks 80mm fans and attach them on cabby.
And an 8600Gt runs fine on iball 400w SPU. No need for upgrade now.
But yeah, if u gonna have an extra HDD and one optical drive along with some other stuffs then get at least a colorsit, Powersafe or Zebronics Platinum 500w for 2k.

Last edited:
Top Bottom