Graphics Cards related queries here.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

U can go for X 1300[ pro or XT]
Pro wud have DDR2 or 3 but XT has extreme clocks for memory nd core.
1300 pro is for 4k nd XT for 5k. The 1300 pro nd XT performs equivalent to 7300 GS nd GT.
U can look for power color brand for ATI cards. And there are also MSI nd ASUS brands for ATI. ALL and good nd cool. But ASUS might be more expensive, some 500 bucks more.

SM stands for Shader Model. Vista just need any SM2.0 card nd ur onboard has it. No need to go for an SM 3.0 card if ur not a gamer.

balashome

Right off the assembly line

@Sudhix,

I thought i ought to share my experience with setting up graphic cards in Linux.

First off, it is a huge ordeal to find appropriate drivers for ATI graphic cards for Linux. Even though Ubuntu is one of the easier distributions for graphic card installation, it still took me a whole day to get it setup. My card though is slightly exotic - an HIS X1800 GTO. And believe me, following Ubuntu's extensive documentation available on the wiki does not work in this case. So, if you are hell bent on getting ATI cards to work in Linux, be prepared to do some heavy duty browsing and of course reinstalling the OS multiple times.

However for any of the recent ATI graphic cards, you will have to download the appropriate non-free driver for gfx support in Linux. In some cases you will find pre-packaged and easy ways to set this up, while in others it is a struggle. For example, Dreamlinux is very easy and user friendly as far as graphic card support goes - it almost gives you out of the box support for all graphic cards - ATI or Nvidia. Vector Linux, Ubuntu, MEPIS and Opensuse are not far behind. Sabayon Linux needs a special mention - since its one of those rare distributions which come loaded with the non-free display drivers out of the box.

But on the other end of the spectrum, i wasnt even able to install Fedora Core 6 - no matter how hard i tried.

So if its Linux you are concerned with you are infinitely better off with an Nvidia solution. But i noticed your board is an ATI chipset. If you are really serious about Linux, then i would strongly recommend switching over to an Nvidia chipset, Core2duo processor (the X2's from AMD sometimes have problems getting recognized as dual cores in Linux - more's the pity!) and an Nvidia display card - one of the 6800's would do just fine.

But if you dont want to do a complete revamp, you can keep your processor and just change the motherboard chipset over to Nvidia and get an Nvidia display card.

But thats just my thought - you might want to look over more Linux sites like tuxmachines.org and other such similar ones.

Another quick thought - once you do get your ATI card working in Linux, make sure you take a backup of your xorg.conf file (found in your root) and save it somewhere on your Windows partition or a USB drive. That way, if you try multiple distributions like me, you always have a working copy of the xorg.conf which you can just copy in case nothing works!

All the best.

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE

sudhix said:
Hello
I want to buy a Gfx card for my comp : AMD 64 3000+, MSI RS480M2-IL based on Raedon x200 chipset and 512 DDR 400 Ram.
Im NOT A GAMER and wont be playing ne games. Im looking for performance boost and speed gains.
My primary OS is Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 and Fedora 6. I use Winxp also. So drivers for Linux is very IMP. Also it shld be Vista compliant(for the future maybe).
Budget is arnd 4k.

Pls help

Dude!!!Everybody is saying right,but listen to me buddy.read this lines carefully
DO NOT USE NVIDIA CARD WITH YOUR MOTHERBOARD!!!
I used to have the same motherboard,it took me 16 months to find the problem.This chipset doesn't support nVidia graphics card.So i changed the motherboard.
drvarunmehta also have the same motherboard & he is using MSI Radeon X1600Pro.
My suggestion is buy only ATi graphics card.Doesnt matter which one but chip should be ATI.

sudhix

Broken In

@balashome :
I don think i upgrading the cppu and mobo is an option rite now. Next time ill buy an Nvidia chipset. I did find ATI drivers for Linux. *ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
Do they work??? And yep I will backup the xorg.conf file. Also Im using FC6 for project work, I will replace it with Sabayan shortly(1 month or so). I will stick with ubuntu though.

@keith:
Ok dude. Ill buy an ATI card, mostly x1300. Not sure yet.

@both:
Thank you guys for ur suggestions. Really helpful.

Last edited:

nehemiah_johnyn

hi guys,

I recently bought a intel g965ry motherboard with e6300 core 2 duo processor with 1 gb ram. Now the problem is i also have a 7300gs graphics card. Now i have 2 graphics solutions. One is inbuilt in the motherboard and the other is the graphics card. Now i am not sure whether which one would perform better? the one in my motherboard or the graphics card? coz if the card is of not much use then i could sell it to someone. could someone help me out on this?

chicha

High without substance...

*ati.amd.com/technology/crossfire/physics/index.html

Go here and see for yourself:twisted:

balashome

sudhix said:
@balashome :
I don think i upgrading the cppu and mobo is an option rite now. Next time ill buy an Nvidia chipset. I did find ATI drivers for Linux. *ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
Do they work??? And yep I will backup the xorg.conf file. Also Im using FC6 for project work, I will replace it with Sabayan shortly(1 month or so). I will stick with ubuntu though.
sudhix said:
@Sudhix, like i mentioned, you can find drivers for ATI cards but it is not that 'one size fits all concept'. Some of the older ATI cards can make do with a GPL driver, while the newer ones (typically X1300 and above) require a proprietary video card driver. Now, this poses problems for different distributions in different manners. Like i said you might find drivers for some while you wont for others.

I had high expectations of Sabayon, but i wouldnt say it satsified them. Its too much of a resource hog to be a functional OS.

If i was to buy a chipset and a graphic card today, i would go for NVidia - no questions asked. Its a whole lot simpler than fighting with ATI drivers and hunting forums for hours!

All the best.

sudhix

Broken In

@balashome

Thanks for ur help. Ill see wat i can do. Rite now i was successful in installing proprietary drivers for my present ATI Radeon. :) I think ill ask a friend for a graphics card and test, then go ahead and buy

Thanks and Cheers

I think u shld look at this

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52471

Still uncessful. Sabayon maybe good, but not fully upto the mark i guess. Debian is a better bet :)

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

@nehemiah_johnyn
One think u shud know is that if u put in any Graphics card, then your onboard one become inactive and the whlole graphics is handled by the card.
By the way an nvidia 7300GS is far far better than your onboard GFX [namely X3000]. Also the card has its own memory, so no sharing of ram. But if u unplug the card [to sell maybe] and use onboard, then some 128 or 256 MB shud be allocated got GFX from ram and your total available ram is reduced by that amount.
U can play all games out there with some low~med quality at 1024*768 res with ur card. But ur onboard gfx wont handle many of those games.

bhunnu16

Broken In
Purchasing a PCI graphic card

Hi! to all.
I have a DELL PC( Optiplex GX520) having only 1 PCI slot. I am not able to play games like NFS Carbon, POP3, FEAR1 & 2... that require graphic card. As I was not having an AGP or PCI-e slot I was disappointed. But a few days back I heard about PCI graphic cards.

Can any1 tell me whether they will work fine or not(speed, memory...) & plzz suggest any in range of Rs.4000.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

@bhunnu16
PCI G cards are too outdated. The best deal u can get is an nvidia geforce 2MX or even some Geforce 3. But u can't play POP3,FEAr or any new games even with that. U will need at least a geforce 5 class card and some newer games say they need at least a shader model 2 card is needed[not even Geforce FX(5) series]
Anyway 4000 was enough for a card to let u play the games u specified at med-low seting IF U HAVE AN AGP OR PCIE SLOT. Also inorder to play those games, you will need at least 512 MB or more RAM[at least 768 will be needed for FEAR].

Also FEAR 2 has not yet been released. There is an expansion pack for FEAR named "Extraction Point".

So u will need a massive upgrade of the following components.
CPU, mobo, ram [some mobos onborad GFX could play those games at low setings]. So at least 10~12k is needed.

khemkarahul

Broken In

Hi...i recently got a Lenovo Y500 3000 series laptop...616AQ...with a core 2 dup T5500 and a Geforce go 7400....I downloaded the update for my graphic card driver from the Nvidia driver update page..."Nvidia Go 7 series update"...when i tried installing the update i was getting the error sayin that the driver didnot support the hardware....please tell me from where can i get the Graphic card driver update for my laptop...???

Go-Wide

Hello everyone,

I purchased the Viewsonic VX1930wm today and I need some suggestions on a new graphics card that will handle 1440x900.

My old card, 3D Fuzion GeForce FX 5500 256MB is acting up. Which is why I bought this new monitor. I though my old 17" CRT had blown up but it was the card that was causing the problem. I needed a reason to buy the 19" HD WS LCD, so I'll use the 17" as a backup.

The 3D Fuzion card ran fine in 1440x900 resolution for a few hours and then the problem re-appeared. I replaced it with my old NVIDIA GeForce 2 64MB card and it has been running fine for the past 10 hours, in 1280x1024 resolution.

I welcome all comments.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

@Go-Wide
There is a very good way, but its some expensine. The cheapest g card with 2x DVI out is 7600GT. If u get that u can have both monitor simultaneously running at different resolutions and work on each of them with different apps on each. Its very gud to have multilonitor setup. The cards comes with 2x DVI to D-sub[VGA] adapter.

Download the latest fresh driver instead of update ones. Also chech whether uve downloaded it for correct OS..

nehemiah_johnyn

aravind_n20,
Thanks pal, but my 7300 gs has inbuilt 256 mb and also shares 256 mb from the system ram making it a 512 mb card while my x3000 has 384 mb shared memory.

malcolm

nehemiah_johnyn
X3000 is an IGP and 7300GS is a dedicated card. So card is better than IGP.

dominatorcs

Broken In

Yes, what malcolm said is rite. Even if X3000 is DX 10 compatible, it sucks in gamin.

also please malcolm, if u too have x3000, then please give a list of games which cud be played smoothly with 512 MB DDR 533. I wud really like to play some NEW games like FarCry, Half Life 2 and 3.

Last edited:

talkaboom

Broken In

khemkarahul said:
Hi...i recently got a Lenovo Y500 3000 series laptop...616AQ...with a core 2 dup T5500 and a Geforce go 7400....I downloaded the update for my graphic card driver from the Nvidia driver update page..."Nvidia Go 7 series update"...when i tried installing the update i was getting the error sayin that the driver didnot support the hardware....please tell me from where can i get the Graphic card driver update for my laptop...???

Hey man, sorry to hear about the problem. But you sure that you uninstalled the prev drivers before? Also in haste you may have chosen the wrong operating system. Else should go fine, or the download might have got corrupted. try re-downloading it.
Hope this helps

Go-Wide

aravind_n20 said:
@Go-Wide
There is a very good way, but its some expensine. The cheapest g card with 2x DVI out is 7600GT. If u get that u can have both monitor simultaneously running at different resolutions and work on each of them with different apps on each. Its very gud to have multilonitor setup. The cards comes with 2x DVI to D-sub[VGA] adapter.

Download the latest fresh driver instead of update ones. Also chech whether uve downloaded it for correct OS..

Any particular brand I should be looking at? BFG, Leadtek, XFX...

TIA

Top Bottom