Graphics Cards related queries here.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Re: All Graphics Cards related queries here.

@Go-Wide
Yes, brands do have a lot of difference, especially on long run. U will have a hard time finding BFG in India, so the best choice are according to preference are:
1. XFX
2. ASUS
3. LEADTEK
4. MSI
5. BIG
6. PALIT, FORSA etc.

An XFX 7600GT might cost u close to 9k with 3 year warranty.
It supports dual monitor at max resolution of 2560*1920 @ 120Hz.

Go-Wide

Right off the assembly line

aravind_n20 said:
@Go-Wide
Yes, brands do have a lot of difference, especially on long run. U will have a hard time finding BFG in India, so the best choice are according to preference are:
1. XFX
2. ASUS
3. LEADTEK
4. MSI
5. BIG
6. PALIT, FORSA etc.

An XFX 7600GT might cost u close to 9k with 3 year warranty.
It supports dual monitor at max resolution of 2560*1920 @ 120Hz.

9K :confused: Are we on the same page here?

I can buy a XFX GeForce 7600 GT 256MB dual DVI HDTV AGP card from Tiger Direct for $252.99 CDN and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

I mentioned the approximate price of XFX[ similar is the price for ASUS and Leadtek] 7600GT 256 AGP dual DVI here in Indian market.
U cannot compare Indian price with any online price.

U can even some online prices like $350 for 8800GTX which is around 17k ,but here u have to pay 30k+ with all duties and taxes. So if u ant local warranty, then u have to buy from Indian dealers at Indian price.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl

Get the XFX one. .. costs slightly more .. but worth it .. u'r sure to hit 600/1600 out of the box ... if u want it for the HTPC get the passive cooled one ..

Go-Wide

Right off the assembly line

aravind_n20 said:
I mentioned the approximate price of XFX[ similar is the price for ASUS and Leadtek] 7600GT 256 AGP dual DVI here in Indian market.
U cannot compare Indian price with any online price.

U can even some online prices like $350 for 8800GTX which is around 17k ,but here u have to pay 30k+ with all duties and taxes. So if u ant local warranty, then u have to buy from Indian dealers at Indian price.

I understand. I keep forgetting that the person replying to my post may be in a country, other than North America. In this case, I'm in Canada.

Thank you for your help.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

@Go-Wide
U can have better bang for the bucks as ur in Canada.

And go for BFG[first choice] and then XFX. BFG is a gud brand as heard. They provide better cooling and most models are some 10~20% factory oced and have normal price only.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz

Hi i have a AMD 64 3000+ with a 512 MB RAM running on a Asus A8n-VM motherboard. I am planning to buy a mid range gfx card which will give me a modest frame rate on a 1024x768 resolution .Nothing fancy but yes should be able to tackle new games. Budget is 5K(max)

//Sorry for double post.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

Hi, get an 7300GT[4.5k] and increase ur ram to 1GB. Ur current 512 MB wud be a bottleneck for games after uve got a card.
I recoment to stretch ur budget to 1k more and get the 7600GS which is slightly better that 6600GT.

Ambar

aka. ViKiD?

ya 7600 Gs will be much better choice.....provided u get at least 1 GB of RAM....but dont expect too much from the 7600 Gs also..itz also a mi-low range card!

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz

Wouldd the low ram prove counter productive if i get a gfx card. i cant upgrade my ram right now - so is it wise to go for a gfx card ?
7600GS is better than 6600GT or the 7300GT. What about ATI - i heard its good with AMD systems and also costs less.

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

@Maverick340
U can do avg gaming with 512 MB ram but the loading times wud really make u mad, especially at higher resolutions. Some games wud also show up some lags.
I recoment just upgrade ur ram right now as ur current onboard gfx will do better if u have 1 GB ram with 256 shared. U better stick to it until low end DX10 cards like 8300 gets in our markets. So u get a good future proof card for 5k whichll sure outperform a 7600GS due to unified shader architecture. They will be launched in 2~3 months.

sabret00the

Youngling

Guys I'm not spreading rumours here,just heard a news and want to confirm it.Well I did some googling and found that Dx 10 cards are gonna be out on April 17th 2007.Now I have a few questions in this regard....
1)Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not?
2)Are these cards gonna be launched soon after in India as well?Or is it gonna take more time for these cards to come to India?
3)I desparately need a PCI Express graphics card as my existing gpu isnt working anymore on my primary desktop....is it worth the wait?
4)I was looking at 7600GT now that I'm looking forward to upgrading to Windows Vista,do u guys think it makes sense going for 7600GT with Vista or should one wait for 8600GT which will soon replace 7600GT?
5)My budget is within Rs.10000/- only.Do u guys think 8600GT will be priced with 10 grands or will it cost more than that?

mohit

The Hardware Labs

sabret00the said:
Guys I'm not spreading rumours here,just heard a news and want to confirm it.Well I did some googling and found that Dx 10 cards are gonna be out on April 17th 2007.Now I have a few questions in this regard....
1)Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not?
2)Are these cards gonna be launched soon after in India as well?Or is it gonna take more time for these cards to come to India?
3)I desparately need a PCI Express graphics card as my existing gpu isnt working anymore on my primary desktop....is it worth the wait?
4)I was looking at 7600GT now that I'm looking forward to upgrading to Windows Vista,do u guys think it makes sense going for 7600GT with Vista or should one wait for 8600GT which will soon replace 7600GT?
5)My budget is within Rs.10000/- only.Do u guys think 8600GT will be priced with 10 grands or will it cost more than that?
1. DX 10 cards are already out. The 8800GTS and GTX are DX 10 cards. You must be talking about the 8600 series. Well I dont expect it to be in India before May [minimum].

2. It usually takes 2-3 weeks after the international launch for the cards to reach and be well stocked in India.

3. The wait is worth it if you can wait.

4. Vista will easily run on even a 6200TC card provided you have enough RAM. You really dont need a 8600 series card just for running Vista.

5. I dont think you will get any DX 10 cards for 10k in India for sometime now.

g_goyal2000

Youngling

What is the difference between nVidia Quadro & GeForce GPU's? Which one is better for gaming? I'm not talking about any specific model no..

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

@sabret00the
u can opt for an 8600 GS when they are out. There is enough juice in them to outperforn a 7600GT with ease and itll be under 10k. If u can wait a bit longer [say upto june] u can witness some battle b/w 8950 and R600. There will be low nd mid range cards also from ATI and the price will drop. Its worth the wait.

Just get a second hand 6200 till then or even a new one and sell it when ur dream cards are out.

mohit

The Hardware Labs

g_goyal2000 said:
What is the difference between nVidia Quadro & GeForce GPU's? Which one is better for gaming? I'm not talking about any specific model no..

Quadro cards are meant for 3D and rendering purposes mainly. Geforce series are the ones which are meant for gaming.

Dont buy a Quadro card for gaming.

sabret00the

Youngling

@Mohit & aravind_n20 : thnx guys for helping me decide.I guess for the time being I'll go for a low end GPU as I need one desparately coz my mobo dont have integrated video....and when Dx10 cards are out(which I'm sure isnt going to be in the next 3-4months) I can sell it off.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl

@g_goyal2000
A quadro is good for gaming too, but has less bang for the buch when used for gaming. They are not optimised for gaming , but some high end Quadros is pretty much powerful that the best gaming cards our there. But they comes at insane cost.
Also Quadro cards has many other features both H/W nd S/W. That is it supports much more complex features like wireframe antialiasing, pixel doubling, remapping, resampling and much more. Those effects are not used in any of the games. If used them most of the powerful cards including 8800 wud come to its knees or maybe they will not be able to render those at all.

If u have enuf bucks then get the most powerful quadro. Itll serve u well in games as well as for animation.

xbonez

NP : Crysis

a friend of mine is choosing between two cards the geforce 7100GS and the 7300LE. which would be recommended?

Top Bottom