Graphic Card Overclock List and Discussion

sharang.d

Youngling
^^ there's no such thing as running a gfx card at highest possible ( read 3D clock speed ) clock speed 24*7 unless you flash a moded bios - use at-least two profile for OC and normal mode - before using any gfx intensive ap ( like any D app, game ) switch to OC/Performance profile and once yu finished your game just switch back to normal profile - the gpu clocks will be automatically reduced and talking about fan speed : you can set different fan speed for different temps.
Yes Sir topgear! :p
I already am on a custom fan profile. Was just wondering if 70% fan speed @ 55C is ok or I should change the fan profile to make it like 60%. Nvm i got my answer(It's fine).

@Rajat
Try increasing voltage to 1.2V and see If it helps. In any case you OC is not bad :)

doomgiver

Warframe
you are running centOS... and want to overclock?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

which gpu you have? overall rig config?

afaik, linux OC tools are rare.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ ashishagarwal - Welcome to TDF.

and regarding your query you may find these links useful :

AMD Graphics Card Overclocking Guide - Linux.org
Overclock Your Nvidia Graphics Card in Linux
Linux How to overclock Nvidia cards in Ubuntu/Kubuntu 8.10 and 9.04

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
anyone know how much can we oc the sapphire hd 7950 vapour-x oc with boost in practical

i mean without using any external cooling methods except the stock

which gpu will be the new performance comparable to??

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
anyone know how much can we oc the sapphire hd 7950 vapour-x oc with boost in practical

i mean without using any external cooling methods except the stock

which gpu will be the new performance comparable to??

should give you some idea ;-)

Sapphire HD7950 Vapor-X Edition Review | KitGuru
Review: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC Vapor-X - Graphics - HEXUS.net - Page 13
Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X 3 GB Review | techPowerUp

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
i meant to say that those guys in the review use all kinds of funky hardware for ocing

how much can we practically oc using like gs600 with i7 3770k....

Myth

Cyborg Agent
i meant to say that those guys in the review use all kinds of funky hardware for ocing

These sites usually get a sample hardware from the company to test and not the regular items purchased from the market.
Your resulting OC might end up near about that mark, if not higher. But then one can never say. :razz:

doomgiver

Warframe
gpu overclock depends ENTIRELY on the gpu.
nothing else matters.

(oh yeah, you DO need a good psu, in order to power the card xD )

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

you can push the HD7950 to the limits ;-) but be careful about the limit of stock cooler and volts.

GPU : HIS IceQ Radeon HD5670

GPU Stock Speed : 775 Mhz
GPU Overclocked Speed : 850 Mhz
GPU Core Volt : Stock

VRam Type : GDDR5
VRam Stock Speed : 1000 Mhz
Vram OCed Speed : 1050 Mhz
VRam Volt : Stock

Cooler : Stock (IceQ)
Bios Version : Stock
Software Used for OC : AMD Vision Engine

Additional Notes if any :

*i.imgur.com/3lqzqI3.jpg

Hrishi

I was looking to overclock the GT640m GPU present in Acer v3-G series.
I have read that GT645m is an overclocked version of 640m and oerforms ~15% better at gaming. Is it possible to overclock the 640m ??? ANy BIOS revisions , please >\??

ANd how much potential does that card holds for overclocking. ??

Myth

Cyborg Agent
I am not sure how advisable it is OCing a laptop gpu. There isnt much for ventilation inside a laptop and additionally there is this OCed GPU generating some extra heat. Probably not so good for the other components as well.

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was looking to overclock the GT640m GPU present in Acer v3-G series.
I have read that GT645m is an overclocked version of 640m and oerforms ~15% better at gaming. Is it possible to overclock the 640m ??? ANy BIOS revisions , please >\??

ANd how much potential does that card holds for overclocking. ??

if you are Ok with the drawbacks mentioned on the above post here's one more link for you :
nVIDIA mobile Kepler 6xx MASTER overclocking guide. Workaround for max clocks/OC stability.

Hrishi

if you are Ok with the drawbacks mentioned on the above post here's one more link for you :
nVIDIA mobile Kepler 6xx MASTER overclocking guide. Workaround for max clocks/OC stability.
Yeah , I know the risks associated with overclocking laptop CPU/GPU. But I won't do that by crazy margin , just a li'l bit. :wink: :devileyes:

Thanks for the link TopGear.This one seems a li'l bit advanced and generic to GT600 series , so right now I am going to stick with the BIOS Mod and then use the Nvidia Overclocking utility or MSI Afterburner to achieve not more than 10%.
Went across that thread in TechInferno by Svl7 , and it was meant specifically for my Laptop model , so going to try that.

But I have one doubt and google didn't helped me either.
My question is that , GT640m , GT645m and probably GT650m (all ddr3) are same chips , right ??
So is it just that they are all overclocked version of GT640m ,? cause both of them have higher clocks , everything else seems same on paper but performance difference is like 30-40%..

IF yes then , theoratically a GT640m can deliver same performance as GT645m/650m , if overclocked at the same frequency with a good laptop cooling mechanism ?????

I am not sure how advisable it is OCing a laptop gpu. There isnt much for ventilation inside a laptop and additionally there is this OCed GPU generating some extra heat. Probably not so good for the other components as well.

Thanks for the advice , and its really not advisable to do so, specially with a brand new lappy. :devil:
But I was wondering cause I have read somewhere that this kepler variant has got some power under the hood for overclocking upto a point safely with considerable performance boost.

BTW , I do have a cooling setup.[Have few spare Desktop FANS lying around . Going to make a laptop cooler using them. :hehe:]

slashragnarok

In the zone
GPU : Sapphire HD7870 GHz Edition

GPU Stock Speed : 1000 Mhz
GPU Overclocked Speed : 1226 Mhz
GPU Core Volt : Cranked to 1.3 V

VRam Type : GDDR5
VRam Stock Speed : 1200 Mhz
Vram OCed Speed : 1396 Mhz
VRam Volt : Stock

Cooler : Stock
Bios Version : Stock
Software Used for OC : MSI Afterburner

Additional Notes if any :
screenshot.jpg

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah , I know the risks associated with overclocking laptop CPU/GPU. But I won't do that by crazy margin , just a li'l bit. :wink: :devileyes:

Thanks for the link TopGear.This one seems a li'l bit advanced and generic to GT600 series , so right now I am going to stick with the BIOS Mod and then use the Nvidia Overclocking utility or MSI Afterburner to achieve not more than 10%.
Went across that thread in TechInferno by Svl7 , and it was meant specifically for my Laptop model , so going to try that.

But I have one doubt and google didn't helped me either.
My question is that , GT640m , GT645m and probably GT650m (all ddr3) are same chips , right ??
So is it just that they are all overclocked version of GT640m ,? cause both of them have higher clocks , everything else seems same on paper but performance difference is like 30-40%..

IF yes then , theoratically a GT640m can deliver same performance as GT645m/650m , if overclocked at the same frequency with a good laptop cooling mechanism ?????

theoritically this should be correct if you match the clock speeds but GT650M probably has been made out from better silicon chips but this may not be always the case. And 30-40% performance difference with same clock speed ? make sure you read reviews from same website where GT 640/645/650 M were reviewed side by side with same driver version and memory type.

Hrishi

theoritically this should be correct if you match the clock speeds but GT650M probably has been made out from better silicon chips but this may not be always the case. And 30-40% performance difference with same clock speed ? make sure you read reviews from same website where GT 640/645/650 M were reviewed side by side with same driver version and memory type.
yes in most games this is the scenario.

check here Nvidia GT640m performance
The difference seems to be around 25%.
That gt650m has around 200Mhz higher clock.!!

Btw , I flashed the BIOS with a modded FMW , and the clock speed bumped for stock , but the turbo still stuck at 710Mhz.
MSI afterburner doesn't work with it. Only the Nvidia overclocking utility works with it.

After ~10% bump in memory and core clock , its still stable at around 75C.

Today I increased the Clock by 120Mhz , and while playing "GHost recon Future Soldier " I noticed the frame rate increased by 2-3 Frames per Sec. [From 19FPS to 23FPS]. At 1366x768 on full details.

Additionally I played the same game(GRFS) on Samsung Np550 (Ci7) with GT 650m and looks like that it performed even below the GT640m [around 2-3 Frames less/sec.] At same resolution and settings. :)
Even though , its a better card. :confused:

Top Bottom