Graphic Card buying advice

shuva

Right off the assembly line
I have a Gigabyte B75M D3H Motherboard now with Intel i3 3rd 320 Processor & 8 Gb Corsair Ram in my desktop PC.My GPU is GTX 650 at present.I want to Upgrade my GPU. My budget is strictly within 20000-25000 Rs(Nvidia Preferred).Plz advice.Also can the GTX 650 be used as a dedicated Physx Card in the Motherboard. It will be very helpful if someone tells me the procedure of adding this GTX 650 card as a dedicated Physx card along with the new GPU with I am going to buy.:|
Also I am using the present PC with an old HDD. I want to add a new SSD for my C drive Win 7.What is the procedure to add the new SSD with the old HDD.I have seen the mobo supports 6gbps data transfer for SSD.
Thanks in advance.

Cilus

laborare est orare
There is no processor as 3rd gen i3 320, I think you're referring to 3220. Now for running q high end gpu, you need a powerful psu. 1st let us know what psu you currently have.

ankush28

Bazinga
might be there will be chance of bottleneck i3 + 10-15k gpu is good but if you are planning too higher then imo you should try to sell i3 get i5 and rest budget graphic card

:+1: Better get an i5 to even things out . i5 = 12k and new GPU with rest ( 13k )

and also , shouldnt this be posted in the graphic cards sub forum??

Shiva

OP
shuva

shuva

Yes the processor I am having is I3 3220.I primarily play games (Dota 2,Batman & a few selected titles),watch movies and surf web on my PC.At present I have 550 watt psu.
What I have seen, people generally advice to invest good on a GPU thats why I was thinking to get one.I didn't have enough budget while buying the PC so I had to settle for a GTX 650.The GTX 650 did handle Metro Last Light but with some lag.And while surfing Nvidia website ,came across this :
(A new configuration that’s now possible with PhysX is 2 non-matched (heterogeneous) GPUs. In this configuration, one GPU renders graphics (typically the more powerful GPU) while the second GPU is completely dedicated to PhysX. By offloading PhysX to a dedicated GPU, users will experience smoother gaming.)
So I was planning to use the GTX 650 as a Physx card and the new one as the as the Primary card.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
that's not a great piece of PSU but should get the job done ;-)

anyway, Op has a good budget so i would suggest him to get these by selling his current GPU+CPU+Mobo trio at 10k ( making overall budget 35k ) :

Core i5 3470 @ 12k
Asus P8B75M @ 4.5k
HD 7870 XT @ 18k

Gollum

Collector
that's not a great piece of PSU but should get the job done ;-)

anyway, Op has a good budget so i would suggest him to get these by selling his current GPU+CPU+Mobo trio at 10k ( making overall budget 35k ) :

Core i5 3470 @ 12k
Asus P8B75M @ 4.5k
HD 7870 XT @ 18k

Dude, he wants and Nvidia gpu to try hybrid SLI
AMD will not do.
Moreover he only wants a Graphics card not a PC config. with 25k budget. Wake up! lol

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
AMD will not do.
Moreover he only wants a Graphics card not a PC config. with 25k budget. Wake up! lol

using a Nvidia gpu as a physx card and another one as primary gpu does not translate into a Hybrid SLI setup and do you really think Op is going to get optimum performance by going for a 25k gpu with a core i3 cpu ... now some people might have a little problem who are not used to wake up early in the morning and still thinks 6.41AM as night. Grow up man and read what a thread is all about before trying to jump into conclusion ;-)

OP
shuva

shuva

using a Nvidia gpu as a physx card and another one as primary gpu does not translate into a Hybrid SLI setup and do you really think Op is going to get optimum performance by going for a 25k gpu with a core i3 cpu ... now some people might have a little problem who are not used to wake up early in the morning and still thinks 6.41AM as night. Grow up man and read what a thread is all about before trying to jump into conclusion ;-)

so what config u suggesting???I mean the Intel processor is just 6 months old...and is doing fine...the new graphic cards won't work with this processor???

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
any new graphic card will work with your cpu and mobo but the main issue is when you are paying 25k for a gpu the cpu should be well enough to help you get maimum performance out of the gpu but and many upcoming games/current games are actually very well optimized for multi core cpys - in short a dual core cpu like core i3 will seriously bottleneck the performance of a 20 or 25k gfx card. Yoiu will get less fps from card compared to what it can deliver. So get the config I've suggested - it's very well balanced for your budget.

Cilus

laborare est orare
I think right now you don't need to get a new Processor as i3 3220 still good enough for most of the games. But for GPU, with a 25K GPU, there is a chance of bottleneck in certain recent games like Crysis 3, Tomb Raider 2012 etc with your current CPU. Better get cards like Zotac GTX 760 @ 20.6K from ZOTAC GRAPHICS CARD GTX 760 2GB DDR5 and keep the rest of the money for a future processor upgrade.

OP
shuva

shuva

Now the motherboard of mine Gigabyte B75m D3H has(1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots , 1 x PCIE 2.0 x16 slot (x4 electrical))
Can i use the Gtx 650 for physx and a new Gpu for graphics in this motherboard.What settings I need to configure for that.
And also the steps and settings procedure for installing a new SSD(for Win 7) with the present HDD of mine.I have neither used 2 Gpus together nor used a SSD in my system.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dunno what you mean by "Hybrid SLI". That thing was possible when you had nForce chipset motherboards.

Now the motherboard of mine Gigabyte B75m D3H has(1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots , 1 x PCIE 2.0 x16 slot (x4 electrical))
Can i use the Gtx 650 for physx and a new Gpu for graphics in this motherboard.What settings I need to configure for that.
And also the steps and settings procedure for installing a new SSD(for Win 7) with the present HDD of mine.I have neither used 2 Gpus together nor used a SSD in my system.
What I will suggest you is, to stop bothering about "PhysX". It is a proprietary technology used by handful of games namely Batman: AA, Batman: AC, Metro 2033, Metro: Last Light, Borderlands 2 and a countable more games. 99.5% of games don't use "PhysX" and 99.99% of the games in future will not use "PhysX".

Why would one buy another card and then reduce a GTX 650 to an accessory card for special effects in only a handful of games?

Instead what I suggest you is, sell off your GTX 650 for 7K. With the added money, buy a GTX 770 for 32K. Use GTX 770 for everything.

Why? If you'll go for something like GTX 760 + GTX 650, GTX 650 will NOT be used in 99.99% of the games. Instead get a faster card at the first place i.e. GTX 770.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
What I will suggest you is, to stop bothering about "PhysX". It is a proprietary technology used by handful of games namely Batman: AA, Batman: AC, Metro 2033, Metro: Last Light, Borderlands 2 and a countable more games. 99.5% of games don't use "PhysX" and 99.99% of the games in future will not use "PhysX".

Add "Witcher 3", "Planetside 2", "Batman Arkham Origins", "Warframe","Lost Planet 3" as some very popular games in that list. Besides, "PhysX" isn't the same old tech as before. It's using SSE instructions now and not the older x87. So when using an AMD card, "PhysX" runs on CPU. So people can still enjoy the effects albeit a bit toned down.
It's more optimized for CUDA and these days, even a 760 runs all supporting games with PhysX on and there isn't a drastic performance drop.

[YOUTUBE]n5qhaEghJ74[/YOUTUBE]

The recent developments in fluid simulation of PhysX is noteworthy. CD ProjekT decided to utilize PhysX and the latest Apex toolset for these very reasons.
Even AMD's tressFx like tech is implemented in Witcher 3's Wolf Fur in PhysX Apex Toolset. Here's that tech demo:

[YOUTUBE]3SpPqXdzl7g[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]JMGPKlpaIxI[/YOUTUBE]

The wolf's fur in the second scene was running on CPU while 3rd one is on GPU.
Witcher 3 also uses Nvidia's new fluid simulation in PhysX. It has received great accolades by many developers.

Instead what I suggest you is, sell off your GTX 650 for 7K. With the added money, buy a GTX 770 for 32K. Use GTX 770 for everything.

Why? If you'll go for something like GTX 760 + GTX 650, GTX 650 will NOT be used in 99.99% of the games. Instead get a faster card at the first place i.e. GTX 770.

Yup this is good suggestion. Thumbs up for a single 770.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Running PhysX on a Intel i3 3220 is not a good idea, its a dual core module. Better opt for cards like GTX 770 instead of using GTX 650 as dedicated PhysX card. For that reason, cheaper cards like GT 630 will do fine. In fact with GTX 770, most of the games can utilize PhysX with single GPU setup at 1080P resolution.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Yeah since PhysX now runs on CPU too, a good multicore cpu like 8350 or atleast a quadcore is advisable.

Top Bottom