GPU for Home theater & gaming

start2012

Right off the assembly line
Hi people, I am new to tech space, have read the GPU guide.. still need some expert advise

present config: Intel DG31PR, 2 gig RAM, onboard graphics, 400W stock PSU, upgraded Monitor to 24"Dell

I wanted to use the new 24" as a movie screen, however i am not entirely satisfied with onboard graphics so looking for a dedicated GPU.

5670 seems in my bugdet... Please suggest for "multimedia centre" + casual gaming.
1) Would a graphic card really provide much improved visuals?
2) would lower than 5670 provide enough juice? or 5670 is what i should look for?
3) Do i Need to change my PSU?

Many thanks,
I am looking to buy this sunday so any early replies are most appreciated.

Besties!
US

Cilus

laborare est orare
For your requirements HD 5670 is perfect. But buddy, what Processor or CPU you're having?
For PSU, I don't think those cheap PSUs will do any good if a dedicated GPU is added. The card might run but there is a always a chance of failure. Better spend another 1.8K and get a FSP SAGA II 400 W PSU.

Graphics card does provide better visual but for that you need to use Video Player with GP-GPU support. SPlayer, Media Player Classic Home Cinema are ArcSoft Media Theater etc are couple of the examples.

i. These kind of players allow you apply several Post processing enhancement filters over the video to enhance the quality. SD-> HD, Noice Reduction, Chroma Up scaling, Image Sharpening etc are couple of the examples and all of them can be applied simultaneously to improve video quality. A dedicated GPU can handle these filters very efficiently.
ii. From Graphics card Driver's control panel you can enable a lot of features to enhance video quality. Currently AMD cards provide slightly better video enhancement than Nvidia cards.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - there's couple of version of HD5670 - for movie watching every version is good but for gaming you better opt for 512MB GDDr5 edition - if you can't find it then HD6670 1GB GDDR5 is your best bet @ ~5k

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
you may also consider this. many people have bought it for their HTPCs :

Group Order: GIGA BYTE 5770 1gb New for 4k

although i would also recommend HD6670.

OP
S

start2012

Hi people, thanks for all the replies:)
First i am running a Intel core 2 E7500 processor.
Good I have some suggestions on PSU, well my budget was 4-4.5 max
So if I should be buying a PSU as well.. pls suggest a lower priced GPU? how bout this 6540 for 2.5k?

Last edited:

dibya_kol

In the zone
gpu+psu in 4-4.5k it's hard to fit in.
U can try this ..
Flipkart: Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GT240 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics Card: Graphics Card
and
Flipkart: Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts PSU: Psu

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
PowerColor HD5670. if you can, go for a new PSU. but as these GPUs doesn't have a high power requirement, it'll run fine on most desi PSUs.

saswat23

Human Spambot
PowerColor HD5670. if you can, go for a new PSU. but as these GPUs doesn't have a high power requirement, it'll run fine on most desi PSUs.

Thats a GDDR3 card. Why not get the GDDR5 model for 0.5k more.

OP
S

start2012

Hi People, I am fixed at 5670 then, Cant find the GDDR5 version online, will visit the local market today.

As for PSU somehow i cant upload the pic, so here are the PSU spec

AC input Voltage Current Frequency
220VAC 5A 50~60 Hz

Output Orange Yellow Blue Red White Purple Black Green Grey
+33 +12 -12 +5 -5 +5 SB COM PS/ON PG
20 16 -0.5 28A 0.5A 20A GND - -

Hopefuly this PSU is fine :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
though 16A is little too paltry the GPU should run fine on the config and PSu you have but don't forget to invest in a better PSu when you have enough money.

Top Bottom