GPU for around 14k

Status
Not open for further replies.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Yes i got to agree on this. Gs 600 is total vfm and can power a 6950 and Gtx 560-ti with ease. The 3 years warranty is also commendable.

Cilus

laborare est orare
GS series is not the best around but its total vfm.they dont have Japanese caps but from what I've heard(not verified so dont ask for proof) they are solid-state nevertheless.

The GS series is 80 Plus silver rated,making them very good buys in a budget.
The are not 80+ silver, they are just 80+ white.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
You guys are totally confusing the OP. Just make your point clear and suggest him.

@ExtremeGamer
It does have Japanese caps. Just google it.

Cilus

laborare est orare
1st of all. we are not confusing him as we are just discussing about his requirement of PSU and providing different information about it. And we are also making our point too by providing link of reviews.
If we are not agree with your point (actually u are nor providing anything to convince your claims about how bad GS series is, even with the facts) that does not mean that we are confusing the OP.

And Jas is a highly knowledgeable guy and it is very hard to confuse him.:grin:

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
GS series is not the best around but its total vfm.they dont have Japanese caps but from what I've heard(not verified so dont ask for proof) they are solid-state nevertheless.

The GS series is 80 Plus silver rated,making them very good buys in a budget.

On Corsair PSUs - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Read this link

GS series
"Gamer series", fixed cables, blue/red/white LED fan, rated at 40C, mixed Japanese and Taiwanese caps, 80+, 3 year warranty.

From this review

Corsair GS800 800W Power Supply - Test Results & Final Thoughts :: TweakTown USA Edition

Corsair gives you just what you would expect from a mainstream 800W power supply. Enough connectors are available for the task at hand, enough power is available for the mainstream gamer/entry level enthusiast, and the price is right for a retail unit. If only the performance was all within specifications, I would gladly label the GS800 as an all around good deal.

Unfortunately the 5V rail on the GS800 just isn't up to specs, literally. The voltages were low from the start and dropped fast as the load was increased. They aren't even close to borderline.

The rest of the power supply was spot on with what you would expect throughout the entire test. Power supplies are all or nothing when it comes to performance and unfortunately this one just isn't all there.

@Cilus
As i thought everybody knows what GS is capable of, i didn't posted much links.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Buddy, it has a rating of 83% in that test you have specified and it is actually a good rating. So can be used with Jas's config without any problem. Obviously it cannot deliver performance compared to the VX or TX series but what is offers is still bang for buck.
VX450 is good but it is little underrated to provide enough power for Jas' would be rig.
I have personal experience with it as my friend is running a HD 6870 along with Phenom II 955 for last couple of months.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Buddy, it has a rating of 83% in that test you have specified and it is actually a good rating. So can be used with Jas's config without any problem. Obviously it cannot deliver performance compared to the VX or TX series but what is offers is still bang for buck.
VX450 is good but it is little underrated to provide enough power for Jas' would be rig.
I have personal experience with it as my friend is running a HD 6870 along with Phenom II 955 for last couple of months.

Yes ,it is. Look at the specs of VX450W and GS600W and see that VX beats that GS series. Isn't it?

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
that is just one review.you cant always be based on that.there can be defects.

look at this:

Corsair GS800 Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets
Corsair Gaming Series GS800 800 W Review - Page 7/8 | techPowerUp

its not the best.i never said it was,but it is very good.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Could you explain how?

Below is the specs of Corsair GS 600

Corsair GS600 Power Supply (CMPSU-600G)
Voltage |+3.3V |+5V | +12V|-12V|+5Vsb
Max. Current |25A|25A|48A| 0.8A| 3A
Max Combined Wattage|150W||576W |9.6W|15W

600 Watts @ 40°C ambient temperature

OUTPUT SPECIFICATIONS: Corsair VX450W

Max. Current |20A|20A|33A| 0.8A| 3A
Max Combined Wattage|140W||396W |9.6W|12.5W

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Could you explain how?

Below is the specs of Corsair GS 600

Corsair GS600 Power Supply (CMPSU-600G)
Max. Current |25A|25A|48A| 0.8A| 3A
Max Combined Wattage|150W||576W |9.6W|15W

600 Watts @ 40°C ambient temperature

OUTPUT SPECIFICATIONS: Corsair VX450W

Max. Current |20A|20A|33A| 0.8A| 3A
Max Combined Wattage|140W||396W |9.6W|12.5W

Remember that you are comparing a 450W PSU to 600W and don't think that GS600 is superior.

And as you said earlier, VX series is under-rated and i am damn sure that it will easily handle Jas's rig w/o any hiccups.

who are you referring to me or the furious namesake here ? :D

Pardon......

J

Joker

forget about comparing these PSU with specs.

point is..Corsair GS series is not Corsair's flagship product. less warranty, diminished build quality and less price compared to their vx/tx series counterparts.

if corsair wants..it can rename vx450 to vx500 and vx550 to vx600 and tx650 to tx700.

u should compare GS series to the vx/tx alternative rated 50w less. vx/tx series is still over all superior as far as voltage ripple and efficiency are concerned.

corsair gs series is good for the price but u should rather get corsair's best products.

J

Joker

and u shouldnt compare PSUs with specs companies say/

now take the case of vx550 which is a CWT oem unit. it says 41A on the 12V rail i.e. 492w.

now some company (forgot the name) sells the same CWT oem model as a 700w unit. it says 49A on 12V rail i.e. 588w. does it make any sense?

in a nutshell..stick to corsair vx/tx or seasonic s12ii series.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
indeed VX may be very good. i hear they are budget TX.

but the thing is that corsair has removed them from their site,meaning they are discontinued.would you buy something sitting in the shelves for months or something fresh outta the block?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Look, for a long time I'm saying that VX series is superior than GS series. But the thing is at the price point which Jas requires, Corsair GS series offers superior performance because VX450 may fall short.

here I'm not debating about the superiority of the PSUs, because I know that VX series is sueprior, but at the price point of Jas, which one will offer him better solution.

If there is a GS500W available at 2K and VX450 is also there, I were gonna recommended VX450 with my eyes closed.
It is like Per core basis Intel Core i3 540 is far better than Athlon II cores, but Athlon II can deliver still somehow better performance because it has four cores compared to two of Core i3
I have a TX850 and I know how good is it. But with Jas' config VX450 will limit the future upgradability as if it somehow supports GTX 560 Ti, that will be the terminal case and won't leave any option to add components.

And Joker, you don't need to buy the top end flagship products always from a company. being not the flagship product does not ensure poor build quality and bad components. Check the two reviews provided by Extreme gamer where they are considered as one of the best budget PSUs.

The hardware secret guys said that

Even though it only has the standard 80 Plus certification, we saw efficiency up to 85.7%, and we could pull up to 1,000 W from it (even though under this extreme condition efficiency dropped a lot). Voltages were closer to their nominal values than required (3% voltage regulation), and ripple and noise levels were below the maximum allowed.

Regarding your re-branding thing...here both the products are from Corsair and if you can't believe the voltage rating of GS 600, same question can be asked for VX450 also.
So GS600 is highly recommended for Jas' requirement in terms of power requirement as well as the price point.

OP
Jaskanwar Singh

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
thanks a lot guys. very useful info from you all.
now i will go through those reviews.

rep+ for you all.

Corsair GS800 Power Supply Review | Hardware Secrets
they mention GS800 as good entry level psu that can deliver its rated power at 51C psu temp, is efficient with below limit ripple and noise.

now seeing others.

The techpowerup review also says GS800 is good psu. Not best but good.

Seeing rest.

The techpowerup review also says GS800 is good psu. Not best but good.

Seeing rest.

Last edited:

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
yes I see your point Cilus but its sad how people look at just one review and decide their opinion,as if defects are never possible.

I know how well TX series performs.I have a TX 750 at home from 2009 in my first cousins' PC:

i7 920
MSI X58-Pro E
6GB corsair XMS3 1600Mhz first gen
TX 750
Palit GTX 260-216 sonic
HAF 932

no OC for them.they needed a long tem general use/above-moderate-below-heavy gaming PC

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

No wonder why VX450W handled a HD6870 along with a P2 955 ;-)

from guru3d :

MSI Radeon 6870 HAWK

Our test system is based on a power hungry Core i7 965 / X58 system. This setup is overclocked to 3.75 GHz. Next to that we have energy saving functions disabled for this motherboard and processor (to ensure consistent benchmark results). On average we are using roughly 50 to 100 Watts more than a standard PC due to higher CPU clock settings, water-cooling, additional cold cathode lights etc.

System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 290W

After long deliberation we decided to move away from FurMark and are now using a game like application which stresses the GPU 100% yet is much more representable of power consumption and heat levels coming from the GPU. We however are not disclosing what application that is as we do not want AMD/NVIDIA to 'optimize & monitor' our stress test whatsoever, for our objective reasons of course.

MSI N560GTX Ti Twin Frozer II :

System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 321W

Now from anandtech - a game like crysis will put some moderate load on both gpu and cpu - so we can consider it as overall system power consumption :

CPU: Intel Core i7-920 @ 3.33GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme
Chipset Drivers: Intel 9.1.1.1015 (Intel)
Hard Disk: OCZ Summit (120GB)
Memory: Patriot Viper DDR3-1333 3 x 2GB (7-7-7-20)

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4135/35196.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/phenomiix2555_012410221528/21449.png

*images.anandtech.com/graphs/amdphenomiix4955_042209194837/18914.png

Images courtesy of anandtech.com

Now some thoughts :

GTX 560 Ti + core i7 920 @ 3.33 = 317W
GTX 560 Ti + core i7 965 @ 3.65 = 321W

Now Athlon II X4 635 consumes 180W in x264 HD bench
P2 955 220W
and let's assume i7 920 @ stock consumes 15W more than this ( look at the last image )

So basically a core i7 9xx series consumes 50-60W more than a Athln II X4.

Now anandtech has OCed their core i7 920 to 3.33 Ghz and guru3d guys had oced their i7 965 to 3.65 Ghz - at that speed power consumption will be more than stock for sure and the power consumption difference compared to Athlon II X4's will be more wider.

So how much power Athlon II X4 @ stock ( and cpu's like this with 95W TDP ) + GTX 560 Ti's will consume ? and what should be the most cheapest recommended PSU ??

if a Athlon II X4 consumes say 50-60W less power in games than core i7's it looks like even a FSP Saga II 400/500W can handle a rig with GTX 560 Ti + Athlon II X4 ;-)
- don't criticize what mentioned in spoiler - it's just a rough estimate and based on some quick hunch - Post your thoughts about the bold marked question ;-)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Superb analysis, topgear bro! Even considering the power consumption difference of SSD and HDD, a VX450 or Saga II 500 seems more than sufficient for Jas. Let others comment on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom