Google's Open Source Browser: Google Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Chrome is a IE 8 rip off!

InPrivate; tabs as processes! Auto-fill & URL suggestions. Address bar a mix of IE 8 & FF 3's awesome bar. Speed dial of Opera.

So much for innovation.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
@manan I didnt get the tone in which you said that but we dont want another borwser war. :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
The password save menu is the same as that of firefox 3. Appears on top with 2 options, click on one and it dis-appears into the top. Google could have done better.

Indyan

Here Since 2003
Google said in the press conf that they borrowed some code from Mozilla. Since both the products are Open Source I dont see what's wrong with it. In fact sharing code is supposed to be one of th biggest benefits of OSS.

Anyway, anyone managed to get the direct dload link? I cant possibly download the installer on my slow connection without a dload manager. Guess I will have to wait till tomm morning - gonna dload it from the college cyber.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@Indyan try this: *lin.cr/18o

The point is that if IE were to come out with anything remotely similar to anything Opera or FF or Safari the whole internet comes together and starts calling Microsoft incapable of innovation and a copy-cat. But when Google does the same, it's the best thing that could have happened!

@Charan other versions under way. Coding for Windows is simple, easy and hassle free. :D

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
First 10 minutes with Chrome:

Chrome is a shameless copy.

The speed dial - Opera

The address bar - IE 8 + FF3

Incognito - Safari & IE 8

Tabs as separate processes - IE 8

The name Chrome - Microsoft's codename for a multimedia browser years back.

Chrome consumes less memory (really very less) as compared to the resource hog - Firefox 3.

@Charan other versions under way. Coding for Windows is simple, easy and hassle free. :D
Really ? The developers of xchat seem to think the other way, by charging for the windows version saying its hard to compile :lol:

I think windows version came first mainly because google has more windows developers.
Chrome is a IE 8 rip off!

InPrivate; tabs as processes! Auto-fill & URL suggestions. Address bar a mix of IE 8 & FF 3's awesome bar. Speed dial of Opera.

So much for innovation.
Chrome is intended to be the perfect browser, thats all. It borrows stuff from Webkit and Gecko along with Mozilla Firefox code. Thats called Open Source.
The password save menu is the same as that of firefox 3. Appears on top with 2 options, click on one and it dis-appears into the top. Google could have done better.
It shares code with Mozilla Firefox
First 10 minutes with Chrome:

Chrome is a shameless copy.

The speed dial - Opera

The address bar - IE 8 + FF3

Incognito - Safari & IE 8

Tabs as separate processes - IE 8

The name Chrome - Microsoft's codename for a multimedia browser years back.

Chrome consumes less memory (really very less) as compared to the resource hog - Firefox 3.
As I said, more features = more fun.
What did you expect ? Options for searching with google the stored passwords menu or something ? :lol:

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
can someone upload the full installer in mediafire for me ?
the download via the 468kb version is taking forever to complete.

Here it is : Download Google Chrome Offline Installer

The browser concept is very good but it is still firefox for me. But I am going to use it for a while.

codyhulk

Dating Xpert
Hope its as good as ff 3

FF3 sucks. It crashes more than it runs. And ofcourse you can google the amount of bug it has.

It's kinda funny that no one accuses Google of "copying" even though they have features like Speed Dial of Opera; p0rn mode like that of Safari & even an auto-fill address bar feature that is kind of a mix of Firefox 3 & IE 8's.

Well it admits openly that where they got their ideas from. They have actually included that as information.

While microsoft never does that.

Last edited:

prasad_den

Padawan
iMav said:

Well, it is a little different here.. You don't get password prompts everytime you enter some PW... Password prompts only come after there is a successful login. If you enter a wrong PW and get redirected to the same page again, you do not get the prompt.. Thats smart..!!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Well, Firefox 3 is still better. Technologically Google Chrome sounds better but here is the thing. I use Ad Muncher to remove ads from browsers. It works with IE 8, Firefox but not working with Google Chrome. The last thing I was is Google showing it's ads without getting removed.

*img48.imageshack.us/img48/162/chromehh1.th.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom