Google to Drop IE6 YouTube Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Google has said that YouTube will no longer support for IE6 on March 13.

March 16 is the day when YouTube will stop working for people still living in the stone age and running IE6. The announcement comes at a time when a significant amount of companies with a Web presence are desperate to see IE6 disappear forever. Many businesses have yet to upgrade to newer versions of Internet Explorer because of the expense involved in upgrading a large network of computers all at once.

Ars Technica was the first to notice that an updated Q&A from YouTube details support for Internet Explorer 6 will no longer be available after March 13. In a post entitled, "Solve a Problem: Upgrading your browser" Google compares using an out of date browser to running a steam engine along the tracks of a bullet train, "It may still work, but it doesn't take advantage of the speed and security of the new technology."

YouTube also plans to cut support for anything older than IE7, Firefox 3.0, Chrome 4.0, and Safari 3.0 as an "older browser." The message above will show up every two weeks indefinitely until the user upgrades their browser.

*www.tomshardware.com/news/Google-IE6-Browser-YouTube-Support,9737.html

But the only funny thing is M$ still believes that IE6 is a great browser that's why they bundled it with the last known service pack of Xp ie sp3 and still releasing countless security fixes for it :p

clmlbx

Technomancer
even orkut is in it's way to..

saw the notification in my institute's computers

and this is a great thing as per the view of web designers.. IE6 is crap

Last edited:

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
Bad move by Google. Still IE6 is used by a majority of places, and you can't deny to the fact that IE is the most used browser in the World and Firefox is the second.

Infact at my office, there is only IE6. I agree that one should upgrade to IE7 or IE8, but simply stopping support for IE 6 is just :(

Bad move by Google. Still IE6 is used by a majority of places, and you can't deny to the fact that IE is the most used browser in the World and Firefox is the second.

Infact at my office, there is only IE6. I agree that one should upgrade to IE7 or IE8, but simply stopping support for IE 6 is just :(
The very objective of this move is to get these kind of offices to move to newer browsers. Either they can choose to do a FREE upgrade, enjoy better features, higher security and enhanced rendering and YouTube or they can choose to have youtube banned at their workspace and also choose against having higher security, standards compliant web browsing and modern features like tabbed browsing.

J

Joker

Internet Explorer 6 is a LEGENDARY browser.

I hate google for disrespecting teh legend.

Screw u google. <3 IE6.

IE6 is teh foundation of all browsers.

I normally don't respond to posts like this but...

Internet Explorer 6 is a LEGENDARY browser.

That's only because MS used it as the default browser in an OS which was in the market for 6 long years.

I hate google for disrespecting teh legend.

Screw u google. <3 IE6.

If the legend can't keep up with current standards, I'm afraid its pretty pointless trying to continue supporting it.

IE6 is teh foundation of all browsers.

Nope. Netscape is. All current browsers except IE have inspiration from Netscape and its plugin architecture is still used in other browsers.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^I am afraid that we wont be alive to see it surviving nuclear holocaust.

hmm . .now i have to upgrade. :|

I use Fx3.6, but IE6 is my backup in case Fx doesnt work (rare cases, like govt sites, suggesting you use IE6)

lol. . .what will those "Best view in IE6" sites do? :D

OP
topgear

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Most of'em will work with newer versions of IE without any issue but they should upgrade their sites to be compatible with the latest most used browsers :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom